Scenario Design Template

Visit here to get your questions about scenario making answered.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

DoubleDeuce

Scenario Design Template

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Just curious if anyone has put together a blank scenario design template/worksheet that could be printed out and used for planning out the scenario before actually working in the editor. Not sure if others work like this but I always like to put as much information as I can on paper, settings, briefings, adding notes, etc and then after I have a healthy outline written up, I go to work in the editor.

Something I did when I designed stuff for Steel Panthers was created an Access Database that was form driven where you entered all your campaign related text using input forms and then you could print all the prenamed scenario and campaign text files out at once with the click of button. Obviously there is a lot less text information needed for FCRS scenarios so the Access DB would not need to be a detailed. If there is nothing out there already I might try to put something together (might be a while, I am really rusty with access, been years since I messed with it [:(] ).
CapnDarwin

RE: Scenario Design Template

Post by CapnDarwin »

Check with MR. He has his briefing info in files and I would bet a template could be built from that.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

I don't go that far when looking at and putting scenarios together, my normal thought process is something like:

a. Map area for battle
location, location, location as they say in Hollywood, do I want a defensive or offensive battle scenario, how do I see the battle playing out from either side, are there various avenues of approach/withdrawal etc
I generally use google maps here unless I happen to have any old maps lying around

b. forces
ORBAT/TOE/%strength, who is on the offensive/defensive, how much of a handicap do I want to put the player in
I normally use MS Word to create a document where I save notes/thoughts etc and update it as I go through the other sections

c. briefings and background
I view this as important or of greater importance than the ORBAT/TOE, understanding why you are fighting rather than what you are fighting with or against, when you see the black rats campaign you'll see what I mean
Again in MS word document as above

d. Putting it all together
at this stage I put all the pieces on the board and start play testing, looking at how the AI acts to the terrain and opposing forces, how many different tactics/areas of engagement can I use

e. fine tuning
slight tweaks to the player forces and look at the AI again...does it need more or less, traffic jams are a good indicator it might need less forces or better spacing in terms of arrival times

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I HATE Access!!! Other than that I'm a fine and adjusted person...[8|]

I don't use a template except for the briefings. I work off of those. As I fill them in I get the information I need in the right places. I do cross reference the other scenarios that are related to make sure I keep the story line going in a straight line.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Scenario School”