Game crashed

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
morganbj

RE: Game crashed

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Mine still crashes regardless of any windows or game setting. It crashed on Vista. It crashes on Win7 64, It crashes on Win8. It's just not stable enough to play. AGEOD doesn't seem to care.

Do you have the turn compression disabled?
Have you updated with the last beta patch?
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... h-1-04-RC6
I have compression off. I'll try the newest update, but I don't se any comment about fixing crashes in the list of fixes. I just deleted the ini file you mentioned in the thread where you announced the patch. I'll soon know if it fixed anything.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Sure. But please start a new game, don't use an old save.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Deleted the file. Started new game. Crash just as always. Here's the screenshot. When I pushed OK, it went into an endless loop so I had to use task manager to close it. Attched to the next message are the logs and a save game just before I told it to execute the turn that it crashed.

Attachments
CaptureDe..1511402.jpg
CaptureDe..1511402.jpg (593.02 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

And the logs.
Attachments
Crash.zip
(605.19 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

There seems to be an issue with DirectX or/and the graphic card drivers. But only the devs can tell for sure.
Anyway, could you please attach a DxDiag report file?

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8)
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice
6. Attach the file to your message

resconq

Post by resconq »

Here is the dxdiag file requested as per our discussion in the steam forums regarding these crashes.

Thank you.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(46.1 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
resconq

Post by resconq »

Here is the AI log
Attachments
AILog.txt
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
resconq

Post by resconq »

Battle log
Attachments
BattleLog.txt
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
resconq

Post by resconq »

And the host log. I would have sent them all in a single message, but the forums will not allow attachment of more than 1 file to a single post.
Attachments
HostLog.txt
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
resconq

Post by resconq »

I tried playing the campaign all over again from the start to see how the beta patch would work. It still crashed. Unfortunately, this site does not support *png images, so I cannot post a screenshot, but the crash occurred immediately after a battle in Manassas, VA.

I have gone with every suggestion put forth by the devs, and nothing has worked. I am not going to invest any more time into this game if I can't even make it to 1862 without a crash and subsequent corrupted game file.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Thanks for logs but could you please post the "!Main log.txt"? Please remember that log is always rewritten when you start running the game. So we need one which contain the crash information.
resconq

Post by resconq »

Update:

I have been away for the past week, but attempted playing CW 2 on a different desktop while I was gone.
The comp I was playing the new game on is using Vista. And I was still getting crashes.

I came home and once again tried a campaign. Deleted all the old save files, so I won't be able to send the log for that anymore.

Is there some way of automatically sending bug reports when the game crashes? I have seen that feature with other games, but it seems absent here.
Having to manually locate and attach log files is time consuming, is irritating in that only one file can be attached per post, and I have done this before on the AGEOD tech support forums, and nothing came from that.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I'm sorry but there is no automatic way for sending bug reports.
You'll have to post them here or in Ageod's forum.

Are you obtaining crashes only on teh Vista computer?
resconq

Post by resconq »

Negative - I am getting crashes on my own desktop (windows 7), and on my secondary comp (vista).

I am currently playing the steam version, but it is experiencing the same crashes as when I was playing on the desktop version.

I am also experiencing a serious bug (in addition to the many crashes) in which a turn is played out between myself and the AI, and at the very end of the resolution phase (after day 15), the game somehow resets to the very beginning of the turn that has just been resolved. In addition to this reset, none of the orders I have issued to units are saved when this happens, so I must issue the orders all over again.

This is the only AGEOD or Matrix game I have ever had problems with, but these problems are so serious that I am surprised that any one of them was able to make it past the developers and into release. Furthermore, none of the patches to date have addressed any of these issues. I am still experiencing the same crashes from way back when this game was released.

These crashes occur regardless of whether I am playing as the Union or Confederacy.

FYI, I am playing with the turn compression turned OFF, and am utilizing the latest beta patch.

I went to my steamapps folder to locate the logs, but the latest AI, Battle and Host log are dated as having been last modified on 7/17. I find this strange, as I had deleted all the older saved games prior to my last attempt at playing a campaign, and the latest crash happened only yesterday.
resconq

Post by resconq »

I located the logs from the game which crashed yesterday. They were located in my documents folder. The logs dating from 7/17 were in my steamapps folder. I have only been playing the steam version, so why are the logs from there appearing in my log folder, as opposed to appearing in steamapps?

I'll post all the logs in the next 4 submissions....
I really am hoping that this problem can be solved once and for all.
resconq

Post by resconq »

1st...
Attachments
AILog.txt
(3.03 MiB) Not downloaded yet
resconq

Post by resconq »

I am getting a message that the battle log is too large to attach. It's 5.5 megs in size.

So here is the host log....

Attachments
HostLog.txt
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
resconq

Post by resconq »

Main log.

Is there anything else required? I would have sent the battle log, but the forums won't let me attach it due to its large size.
Attachments
Mainlog.txt
(474.43 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

You shouldn't have any log file in the Documents folder related with the Steam version. In the Steam version, all the log and save files are in the game main folder.
That's quite odd.

So please try the following. Uninstall the Steam version of the game and also the Matrix one, in case you have both installed. Delete Documents\My Games\Civil War II.
Install the game in a different Steam folder than C:\Program Files (x86). Instead, use for example C:\Games.
You can follow the instructions below on how to Install Games in Different Locations:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -tdlc-0426

After having reinstalled the game, start a new game. Let's see if it's more stable.
If the issue persists please attach only the "!Main log.txt" file and a copy of your DxDiag report file. No need to worry for now with the other game files.
You can zip both files and attach the zip file.
resconq

Post by resconq »

All your instructions have been complied with, to the letter, and my steamapps folder is now located in my games folder.

I will start a new game shortly, and keep you filled in.

Return to “Tech Support”