order of installation?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Freyr Oakenshield

order of installation?

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Hi,

I've just bought the whole Command Ops set:

Battles from the Bulge v.40229,
Highway to the Reich v.43249, and
Battles for Greece v.44263

There are also several patches around - a few patches for Battles from the Bulge, and one patch for Highway to the Reich. I didn't find any patches for Battles for Greece, though...

Could you tell me what the installation order is? Also, is the latest patch for Battles from the Bulge cumulative?

Best regards,
Arjuna

RE: order of installation?

Post by Arjuna »

Install the original BFTB (ie v4.0.229). Upgrade this to the latest 4.6.279. You only need run the 279 updater. It will comprehensively upgrade it all the way. Then install the latest versions of the Greek and HTTR packs. You get these from the Members page on Matrix site.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Freyr Oakenshield

What about Highway to the Reich, and Battles for Greece - shall I install them immediately after Battles from the Bulge and before the application of the 4.6.279 patch, or after the 4.6.279 patch has been applied? I understand that the converted packs go at the very end (?)
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Install the original BFTB (ie v4.0.229). Upgrade this to the latest 4.6.279. You only need run the 279 updater. It will comprehensively upgrade it all the way. Then install the latest versions of the Greek and HTTR packs. You get these from the Members page on Matrix site.

I discovered this the hard way when I bought the Greece pack yesterday. I wrongly assumed that it would have been updated to 279 since it was a new purchase.

Because I've had BFTB and HTTR for quite a while I knew what the problem was when the 1st scenario I loaded crashed the game. Easy fix.

But guys new to the product won't. They'll be on the tech forum - if they're the type inclined to go there - asking for help.

It would probably be appropriate to update the HTTR and Greece purchasables to the latest and greatest. It will save some new buyers getting bent out of shape over their purchases not working right out of the box.

At the very least make it clear to a buyer when the purchase BFTB that if they're going to pick up the HTTR and/or BFG that they'll have to go to the registered game download area and get the upgrade packs - and - provide detailed instructions on how to do it. It may be the 21st century and PC's, laptops and smartphones may be everywhere but not everyone is savy enough to figure that kind of stuff out.

Hey...
Just sayin'
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Freyr Oakenshield

Yeah, I guess that would be great... but anyway, what would be the order, then?

Is it: Battles from the Bulge -> Highway to the Reich -> Battles for Greece -> Patch v46279 -> Highway to the Reich converted data pack -> Battles for Greece converted data pack

[&:]
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Is it: Battles from the Bulge -> Highway to the Reich -> Battles for Greece -> Patch v46279 -> Highway to the Reich converted data pack -> Battles for Greece converted data pack

BftB is the original, and once converted to 4.6.279 is up to date for those scenarios.

The two packs (HttR and Greek) bring those scenarios up to the 4.6.279 standards so long as they overwrite the original files in the BftB Maps, Estabs and Scenarios set up.

After that, the maps supporting scenarios in "My Scenarios" (you can identify them by opening the scenario in SceneMaker and identifying the map used in the scenario) need to be updated with the 4.6.279 MapMaker software (calculate terrain tables, and if desired, create map cache).

After doing that, I haven't run into problems running any scfenario under 4.6.279.
Take care,

jim
Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

BftB is the original, and once converted to 4.6.279 is up to date for those scenarios.

The two packs (HttR and Greek) bring those scenarios up to the 4.6.279 standards so long as they overwrite the original files in the BftB Maps, Estabs and Scenarios set up.

After that, the maps supporting scenarios in "My Scenarios" (you can identify them by opening the scenario in SceneMaker and identifying the map used in the scenario) need to be updated with the 4.6.279 MapMaker software (calculate terrain tables, and if desired, create map cache).

After doing that, I haven't run into problems running any scfenario under 4.6.279.

Sorry, but it' still not clear how to install the set. Neither you nor Arjuna mention Highway to the Reich or Battles for Greece... You only say I should install Battles from the Bulge + the latest patch + the converted data packs. Does this mean I shouldn't install Highway to the Reich and Battles for Greece at all, only install the converted data packs?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

My original advice still stands.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Freyr Oakenshield

So, no regular installation of Highway to the Reich or Battles for Greece is necessary...? [X(]
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

So, no regular installation of Highway to the Reich or Battles for Greece is necessary...? [X(]

You've got to install them.

1) Install the base game. Battles for the Bulge. Then run it. Select check for update. It will update the base game to 279
2) Install Highway to the Reich (commonly referred to as HTTR)
3) Install Battles for Greece
4) Go login to the members area (do it from support is easiest)
5) Go to the registered games download area.
6) Find HTTR and click downloads. It will take you to the upgrade pack for HTTR. Download it to someplace.
7) Repeat step 6 except do it for the Battles for Greece DLC.
8) Open the HTTR upgrade pack and extract to the root Battles for the Bulge folder.
9) Repeat step 8 for the Battles for Greece upgrade pack.

Run Command Ops Battles for the Bulge - Enjoy.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

You've got to install them.

1) Install the base game. Battles for the Bulge. Then run it. Select check for update. It will update the base game to 279
2) Install Highway to the Reich (commonly referred to as HTTR)
3) Install Battles for Greece
4) Go login to the members area (do it from support is easiest)
5) Go to the registered games download area.
6) Find HTTR and click downloads. It will take you to the upgrade pack for HTTR. Download it to someplace.
7) Repeat step 6 except do it for the Battles for Greece DLC.
8) Open the HTTR upgrade pack and extract to the root Battles for the Bulge folder.
9) Repeat step 8 for the Battles for Greece upgrade pack.

Run Command Ops Battles for the Bulge - Enjoy.

Well, I installed: (1) Battles from the Bulge exe + Latest patch + Highway to the Reich converted data pack + Battles for Greece converted data pack with NO regular installation from Highway to the Reich exe or Battles for Greece exe, and it seems to be working fine.

(just my reflections for posterity [:)])
budd

Post by budd »

fresh install after a clean uninstall? you didn't have to install the addons, just the data packs for the addons? That seems funny.....hmmmm working no problem too.....wow.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Freyr Oakenshield

I have the impression that the data packs ARE the add-ons...
budd

Post by budd »

if thats true it would be nice for someone in the know to clarify for any new buyers.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

This is becoming a dogs breakfast now. Come on sort it out for those of us who are dim and have short lives.

My game upgraded to 279 because like a good citizen I clicked on "check for upgrade" now my HTTR is unusable without logging in to some other "members" thing which means another password or whatever because maybe I did have one a few years ago but can't remember it.

I clicked on upgrade, it should just upgrade shouldn't it?

And it took me about twenty goes to get past that codeword puzzle thing just to get in to this site again.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

This is becoming a dogs breakfast now. Come on sort it out for those of us who are dim and have short lives.

My game upgraded to 279 because like a good citizen I clicked on "check for upgrade" now my HTTR is unusable without logging in to some other "members" thing which means another password or whatever because maybe I did have one a few years ago but can't remember it.

I clicked on upgrade, it should just upgrade shouldn't it?

And it took me about twenty goes to get past that codeword puzzle thing just to get in to this site again.
It's done that way because not everyone has purchased HttR and the Greek Pack.

Leaving the specifics regarding the update for those packs in the Members Area protects your investment.

If you've registered your game and expansion pack serial numbers with Matrix, you can retrieve the information for your expansion pack.

If you forgot how to get to the registered game area, contact Matrix support and I'm sure someone will help you get the information.

They helped me with some issues I encountered with registration and retrieving my data after a computer crash.
Take care,

jim

Return to “Command Ops Series”