Kamakazi border??

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mike McCreery

Kamakazi border??

Post by Mike McCreery »

I am sure nobody has asked this before....

Which are the bases that will set off Kamakazi attacks and/or date?

I looked in the manual but it seems that I could take Singapore and still not set them off but a few bases to the north would be within the 15 hex barrier.

Does anyone have a list or other device so I dont set the devils off early??
wdolson

RE: Kamakazi border??

Post by wdolson »

January 1, 1944 and a base within 15 hexes of Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon. Section 7.4.2.3 of the manual.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

January 1, 1944 and a base within 15 hexes of Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon. Section 7.4.2.3 of the manual.

Bill

Wasn't there a change with the new map size?
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Is it the way the crow flies or does it have something to do with water hexes as mentioned?
Kamikazes are activated if the Allies own a base within 15 hexes (traced by sea only) of either Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon.
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

From the 1.00.95 patch notes:

78. Gameplay Change: The kamikaze activation range has been changed from 15 to 20 hexes. The range was not changed when the game scale was changed
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

Also, I still own several dot hexes that the Japanese never took from me that are within 15 hexes of Saigon.

Is this going to trigger the Kamakazi's on Jan 1 1944?? I suspect it will although that would be a coding issue. It should be "Do allies own any bases with troops on them..."

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Kamikaze activation has been raised several times over the years in the forum.

This thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2617899&mpage=1&key=kamikaze%2Cactivation?

is by far the best single thread on the subject.  It corrects the inaccurate answers provided in the current thread and really leaves no questions unanswered.

Alfred
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Kamikaze activation has been raised several times over the years in the forum.

This thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2617899&mpage=1&key=kamikaze%2Cactivation?

is by far the best single thread on the subject.  It corrects the inaccurate answers provided in the current thread and really leaves no questions unanswered.

Alfred

Thanks Alfred!!! It would be a PITA if I played the game for months and made some stupid mistake to cause Kamikazi activation early.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I vote for a dotted line across the hex borders that trigger it.

The Japanese could use the same for the trigger line for emergency reinforcements in Oz.

Maybe some one will incorporate this into their next map mod.......
Hans

Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I vote for a dotted line across the hex borders that trigger it.

The Japanese could use the same for the trigger line for emergency reinforcements in Oz.

Maybe some one will incorporate this into their next map mod.......

It looks like Singapore is ok to take. Mersing is right inside the line. Anything on Borneo seems outside of the line but some of the dot hexes north of Borneo are within the territory.

If it is just by sea hexes then the west coast of Malaya along with all of Sumatra and Java are out of bounds as well.

I guess I dont have to worry about it as soon as I thought ;]

obvert

Post by obvert »

Just so I am clear, here is a planning map with the kami activation bases in red from Saigon and Takao. The next I'll post is from Tokyo. Let me know if I've counted these all correctly. I didn't include making the inner bases red on the PI but hopefully it's clear.

Attachments
SaigonTak..tivation.jpg
SaigonTak..tivation.jpg (391.6 KiB) Viewed 180 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

Here is the Tokyo one. I hadn't really realized before that almost all of the Kuriles are outside of the kami zone. Of course Daito Shoto and all of the islands between Formosa and Tokyo are activation areas, but only the Bonins in the Pacific area south of Tokyo.

Attachments
Tokyokami..tivation.jpg
Tokyokami..tivation.jpg (318.67 KiB) Viewed 177 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Hey obvert, I think you're using the wrong distance in your calculations.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

JuanG

Post by JuanG »

Here's one I just whipped up based on a cutout of the AE Planning map, using the rules from the thread Alfred linked.

Red area shows hexes that are within 21 sea tiles (accounting for border connections) from Tokyo, Takao or Saigon, and which are not part of the 'China' area (note Kwangchowan does not share the Chinese area code of '70', so I presume it is not considered 'China').

The different shades are for 10, 15 and 21 hex range bands, incase anyone wants to double check the distances.

Fullsize:http://imageshack.com/a/img905/4512/a6915c.jpg

Clearly, the ultimate allied plan is to invade Maizuru, probably via Sakhalin, and therefore end up on the Home Islands with no Kamis...[8D]
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

If I count it by hand, Mersing is 15 hexes from Saigon. I think the border is 1 hex farther unless you start by counting the home hex as 1 (and maybe you do).

It is certainly enough for general planning at the moment. Thanks!!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

If I count it by hand, Mersing is 15 hexes from Saigon. I think the border is 1 hex farther unless you start by counting the home hex as 1 (and maybe you do).

I believe it has been changed to 20 hexes, counted by sea. See EHansens post above. Check the patch notes.

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I believe it has been changed to 20 hexes, counted by sea. See EHansens post above. Check the patch notes.

Where did I get 21 hexes?

EDIT: Aha! It's in the thread Alfred posted. In that thread michaelm states it's 21 hexes and a base with an airfield.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2618128
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JuanG

Here's one I just whipped up based on a cutout of the AE Planning map, using the rules from the thread Alfred linked.

Red area shows hexes that are within 21 sea tiles (accounting for border connections) from Tokyo, Takao or Saigon, and which are not part of the 'China' area (note Kwangchowan does not share the Chinese area code of '70', so I presume it is not considered 'China').

The different shades are for 10, 15 and 21 hex range bands, incase anyone wants to double check the distances.

Fullsize:http://imageshack.com/a/img905/4512/a6915c.jpg

Clearly, the ultimate allied plan is to invade Maizuru, probably via Sakhalin, and therefore end up on the Home Islands with no Kamis...[8D]

Doesn't the extra hex exit from Tokyo make Etorofu outside the kami zone? Or is it counted without actual movement necessities in he count? This would also mean that Bihoro and Sapporo are outside the zone. And of course Maizuru! Pretty important bases to find out about!

There is also an extra hex to get out of Saigon, which might mean some of the bases near Sumatra aren't activation bases if it's actual movement ability from those bases.

Same is true in the PI, as some of the islands south of Luzon would not be included based on actual movement restrictions in the area, if it is calculated that way. If it's actual sea hexes regardless of movement restrictions then that would be good to know as well.

Also, some of the bases do not start with airfields in the Kuriles, the DEI and in the PI. Those would have had to have been built by the Japanese for immediate activation or would have to be built up by the Allies after conquering to trigger an activation.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: obvert

EDIT: Aha! It's in the thread Alfred posted. In that thread michaelm states it's 21 hexes and a base with an airfield.

From the thread you cite:
...under 21 hexes...
So it is 20 hexes - or <21 hexes! [:)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: obvert

From the thread you cite:
...under 21 hexes...
So it is 20 hexes - or <21 hexes! [:)]

Solved! Thanks for reading more closely than I was. I just saw the number and ran.

Return to “The War Room”