What are the roles of fighters and bombers?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

scotten_usa

What are the roles of fighters and bombers?

Post by scotten_usa »

It seems to me that bombers should be attacking ships and fighters should be attacking enemy fighters/bombers (if present). I've never really looked very closely, but in my Extended Universe game... my fighters and bombers are both going after ships. Only my Point Defense Cannons are countering the enemy fighters/bombers.
Vardis

RE: What are the roles of fighters and bombers?

Post by Vardis »

They just have different types of weapons. Lasers vs torpedoes, that sort of thing. Point defense are best for taking them out, as you've noted, although ships will also shoot lasers at them if they have them.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Fighters do like to shoot down bombers, but they will tend to beat on a ship once they've targeted it.
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

Yeah the fighters will attack other fighters and bombers, but they mainly go after ships and bases if it was their first target. The fighters' lasers do good damage against shields and are good at chasing down ships, so it's not something to worry about or need to micromanage.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Yup, fighters will chase down other enemy fighters/bombers until there are none left, then go after capital ships.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

New guy stupid question alert... [&o]

Ummmm.... shouldn't bombers be bombarding planets? [&:]
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Nope. Bombers are anti-capital ship weapons, not anti-planet weapons.
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

I'll have to figure out some way to capture video showing me:

attacking a base with ~ 140 fighters (70 fighters, 70 bombers).
Enemy base has ~ 8-16 fighters
My fighters and bombers repeatedly attack the base, while his fighters attack my ships.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Unable to switch targets, more than likely. Its probable that the fighters launched, targeted the starbase, then remained locked on until the starbase was destroyed.
Vardis

Post by Vardis »

I haven't noticed my fighter targeting other fighters. They always seem to go around and attack random stuff. Then again, point defenses usually shred the enemy fighters pretty quick, so maybe they haven't lasted long enough for me to notice.
Mortimer14

Post by Mortimer14 »

Perhaps they could add an option in setup to make it a % chance to attack ships or other small craft (i.e. 25% fighters, 20% bombers, 5% missiles, 50% ships)
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

After slowing down the game and watching very closely, I do notice fighters targeting fighters. I cannot say I understand what conditions cause this to happen, though. Maybe each fighter pilot has his own idea of what to attack...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”