The Shakturi Presence

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Lucian

The Shakturi Presence

Post by Lucian »

Does anyone know if the Shakturi always eventually show up as long as they are enabled? Or is there some sort of random element where they may never show up no matter how long you wait or what you do? I wish this stuff was documented..... :(
Kilravock

RE: The Shakturi Presence

Post by Kilravock »

They show up if you trigger some events and after the average tech across the empires hits a certain level. What that is, I don't know. They have not shown in most games I have played though. So it's not random, but it's also not guaranteed they will show.
Mortimer14

Post by Mortimer14 »

They sometimes show up even if you don't trigger any events...I'm thinking one of my AI opponents called them.

In my current game, I've found only one of the markers but the Shakturi are already in my galaxy.

In my second game ever, on "easy", they never showed up at all, but I think that may be because I wiped out the race that they were supposed to masquerading as before they could. I had wiped out 7 of the 8 opponent races in that game. I am sure that they were enabled in the setup screen.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

You need to actively pursue the Shakturi story arc for the "true" Shakturi invasion to begin. Or you can just add them as a race in the game setup :3
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I've been saying this since I started playing, your tech level has nothing to do with it..... The entire galaxy could be stuck at tech level 1 and they will still appear as long as you trigger the right events/beacons.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Yeah I've definitely seen them show up without me triggering a beacon. Whether one of the other races did it or not I have no idea. I've never seen them show up when everyone is at low tech, not saying it cant happen, I've just never seen it. And I've had many games where they were enabled but never showed up before I won, probably (?) because I won too quickly but who knows if they ever would have appeared?

This has been a frustrating mystery ever since the Shakturi expansion was released. Is there a random element in whether they will appear in a game or not? It would be good to finally know for sure.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

When they show up in my games, I never come close to giving them a run for the money. I'd love some opinions on tech and strategies that might be better able to combat them. My only new idea is to war against the "Refugees" as soon as they appear trying to nip them in the bud.
Thanks.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

They don't seem to care what tech research settings people are using, that's one big problem with fighting them.

Mortimer14

Post by Mortimer14 »

When they show up I tend to exit the game and start over.

The only time I tried to fight the Shakturi, I had two "super" weapons built into my largest ships and ports. They still took me from 70+ colonies and 50 oversize fleets to 10 colonies and 3 fleets in less than 5 years gametime.

Even with starports at every colony, I couldn't rebuild my fleets fast enough to contend with the losses.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

It appears that to defeat them is almost impossible from what I've read. Perhaps the Developers should make changes so that they become very difficult to defeat. That would add some fun and challenge instead of just quitting when they appear.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen
I've been saying this since I started playing, your tech level has nothing to do with it..... The entire galaxy could be stuck at tech level 1 and they will still appear as long as you trigger the right events/beacons.

You may be correct, but at one time, I am pretty sure was tied to tech-level.
It was a couple years ago, I think.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Well, if you're going to quit when they appear, you can always just disable them in the game setup.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

CAUTION: CONTAINS SPOILERS

I have on several occasions had much higher military ratings than the Shakturi but in the end they still won. They simply outmaneuvered me and gradually destroyed all my mining stations, invaded my colonies and just danced around my tough but slow ships running away from every direct encounter. I would try to take down their worlds but they seemed to breed faster than my bombard weapons could kill them, making it pointless. Further, as soon as I would pull fleets away for defense they would have everything rebuilt. It also seemed like even if I managed to kill off all their starports and ships they would just be given ships from nowhere.

In the end I got my first victory against them by savescumming about a dozen times to get the world destroyers the mechanoids gave me in the perfect position to destroy all their worlds before they could conquer more. I didn't feel that bad doing it because world destroyers treat their super lasers like a common weapon, wasting it on some petty ship instead of using it on the planet I sent them after. After that exercise in frustration I would set aside a fleet with nothing but bombard weapons and blitz the "peaceful" refugees as soon as they popped up. Even that can be risky if your far away or preoccupied with other races because they build up blindingly fast, often getting planetary shields before you can reach them. My advice is to put aside all other wars, have your bombard fleet ready and waiting, and send everything you have at them in one huge surprise assault as soon as they show up. Just keep in mind that if you don't destroy the planet or wipe them out they WILL find a way to weasel out of near death and quickly turn things around.

Or just rebuild one of the derelict planet destroyers and keep it on standby. Move it directly next to their homeworld, pause, tell it to destroy the world, and it actually will instead of wasting its beam on some recon craft. Don't declare war of course, or send it directly after the planet before its right next to it, or else it will waste its super laser defending itself from gnats.

They definitely are tough and I don't know if its possible to beat them without having knowledge of them and how they show up ahead of time. I would like to see an option that makes them not show up until one race is left or something, as sort of an end game challenge, which was how I initially imagined them. As it stands as soon as you trigger all those beacons they will show up, regardless of how far along you are, in many instances making you choose between a futile struggle or restarting.

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I really got very lucky today and destroyed them. I noticed them right when they first appeared. I wasn't at war so I sent every fleet I had to their homeworld. After I destroyed their fleet, I bombarded the home world until it was able to be invaded. When I conquered it, I found that the bump up it gives to the owner is unbelievable. No wonder once they gain a foothold they can't be beat. Also, their ships are top of the line.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3
I really got very lucky today and destroyed them. I noticed them right when they first appeared. I wasn't at war so I sent every fleet I had to their homeworld. After I destroyed their fleet, I bombarded the home world until it was able to be invaded. When I conquered it, I found that the bump up it gives to the owner is unbelievable. No wonder once they gain a foothold they can't be beat. Also, their ships are top of the line.
You mean while they were still the Eruktah Refugees? It's best to roleplay and let them build up and then go to war when they declare themselves to the Galaxy. Those battles are very winnable as your improve your strategies even on Extreme.

In fact, in my view, Shakturi ship designs are crap.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”