HMS Warspite

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bullwinkle58

HMS Warspite

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

In my PBEM game with Mike/1EyedJacks I just managed to get this yard pig repaired enough to withdraw. Torped in January 1942 off PH, she spent every day until mid-February 1943 in a yard somewhere, except for the WC transit. Thirteen months to get float down to 50 and this POS ship out of the game.

Good riddance.
The Moose
warspite1

RE: HMS Warspite

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

In my PBEM game with Mike/1EyedJacks I just managed to get this yard pig repaired enough to withdraw. Torped in January 1942 off PH, she spent every day until mid-February 1943 in a yard somewhere, except for the WC transit. Thirteen months to get float down to 50 and this POS ship out of the game.

Good riddance.
warspite1

[;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Good riddance.
warspite1

[;)]

The Warspite crew knows good liberty when they can get it. Beats Scapa in winter or the Murmansk run. [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Good riddance.
warspite1

[;)]

The Warspite crew knows good liberty when they can get it. Beats Scapa in winter or the Murmansk run. [:D]
warspite1

Indeed AW1Steve [:D]. What Mr Bullwinkle no doubt does not realise is that by January 1942 when she was torpedoed (no doubt due to Mr Bullwinkle's poor captaincy), the Grand Old Lady and her crew had been in the war for over 2-years and, in the finest traditions of the Royal Navy, had put herself in harm's way in the service of her country in Norway, the Mediterranean and the North Atlantic (just as she had done at Jutland over 25 years previously [&o][&o]).

Thanks to our Yankee Allies she was able to have serious damage, incurred in the Med, repaired at Bremerton. Now, ready to return to service once more, Mr Bullwinkle seems to be making something of a pig's ear of getting her back into service. Perhaps someone - a grown up perhaps - who knows this game can help him out? [:)]

dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

Ironic....Just today, I withdrew her from my AI game. She fought Hyuga to a standstill protecting my Ambon invasion fleet under Japanese air cover, then took two aerial torps on the way home. Made CT in time for 2/25/43 withdrawal.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Shades of HMS Refit and HMS Repair? (also known as Renown and Repulse)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

Ironic....Just today, I withdrew her from my AI game. She fought Hyuga to a standstill protecting my Ambon invasion fleet under Japanese air cover, then took two aerial torps on the way home. Made CT in time for 2/25/43 withdrawal.
warspite1

Of course she did - that's my girl [&o][&o][&o]. Sounds like you know how to play her properly Colonel [:D]

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Good riddance.
warspite1

[;)]

Yeah, they found every sodomite in both Pearl and SF. Finest traditions of the service and all that rot.

Also terrible tippers.
The Moose
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Shades of HMS Refit and HMS Repair? (also known as Renown and Repulse)
warspite1

I am not sure when that nickname was attached to the sisters - but HMS Renown had a very full career in WWII. As far as I recall she spent relatively little time in dry-dock and was active in the North Sea, the Mediterranean, the North and South Atlantic and the Indian Ocean.

Poor HMS Repulse was not so fortunate....

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

That tart certainly got around IRL [&o]. Reading about her involvement in the reduction of the Brest fortresses and other naval bombardment service in the Brittany campaign.

Speaking of Brittany and Brest, warspite1, that reminds me of a certain post that I need to make on the GD forums. [;)] Alas, since I am a mere mortal and not the KNOWER OF ALL THINGS(TM), I occasionally patronize the GD forums from time to time.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Well, to be fair, old bean, she didn't spend much time in dry dock either during WWII.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

[;)]

Yeah, they found every sodomite in both Pearl and SF. Finest traditions of the service and all that rot.

Also terrible tippers.
warspite1

How very pleasant of you [:)]. A rubbish WITP-AE player - and homophobic too. Nice [;)].

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

That tart certainly got around IRL [&o]. Reading about her involvement in the reduction of the Brest fortresses and other naval bombardment service in the Brittany campaign.

Speaking of Brittany and Brest, warspite1, that reminds me of a certain post that I need to make on the GD forums. [;)] Alas, since I am a mere mortal and not the KNOWER OF ALL THINGS(TM), I occasionally patronize the GD forums from time to time.
warspite1

You visit the GD forum???!!! Don't worry, I won't tell - your sordid secret is safe with me. Yes, Ormster has come up with a rather splendid new poll what?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Well, to be fair, old bean, she didn't spend much time in dry dock either during WWII.
warspite1

No.... sadly, she was just one of those ships that was always missing out on the action. I think she fired her main guns once in anger - at Heligoland in 1918. Then, when she no doubt really wanted to miss out, she got caught up in that Force Z caper [:(]

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

The nicknames were acquired in WWI, when Renown and Repulse were in and out of the dockyard after completion.

Another book I'm awaiting is 'Warships of the Great War Era (History of Ship Models)'.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The nicknames were acquired in WWI, when Renown and Repulse were in and out of the dockyard after completion.

Another book I'm awaiting is 'Warships of the Great War Era (History of Ship Models)'.
warspite1

I must admit the naval side of the Great War is proving very interesting. Never gave it any real time until recently but thanks to Castles of Steel (which gave me the impetus to research the period) I am learning fast.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Ned Wilmontt's Battleship is a good one too.... Ned is one crazy guy but writes good history!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Ned Wilmontt's Battleship is a good one too.... Ned is one crazy guy but writes good history!
warspite1

Well that's a shame! I just looked this up on Amazon and there are 3 reviews - 2 x 5-star and 1 x 1-star [&:]. I hate it when that happens.....

jakla1027

Post by jakla1027 »

warspite1

I must admit the naval side of the Great War is proving very interesting. Never gave it any real time until recently but thanks to Castles of Steel (which gave me the impetus to research the period) I am learning fast.

I to just finished Castles of Steel, very very good book. Looking to start his other book Dreadnought. Think Im reading them reverse order....but oh well. Got a feeling however that Dreadnought will be a very slow read
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Indeed AW1Steve [:D]. What Mr Bullwinkle no doubt does not realise is that by January 1942 when she was torpedoed (no doubt due to Mr Bullwinkle's poor captaincy), the Grand Old Lady and her crew had been in the war for over 2-years and, in the finest traditions of the Royal Navy, had put herself in harm's way in the service of her country in Norway, the Mediterranean and the North Atlantic (just as she had done at Jutland over 25 years previously [&o][&o]).

Thanks to our Yankee Allies she was able to have serious damage, incurred in the Med, repaired at Bremerton. Now, ready to return to service once more, Mr Bullwinkle seems to be making something of a pig's ear of getting her back into service. Perhaps someone - a grown up perhaps - who knows this game can help him out? [:)]

She jumped in front of the spread to selflessly sacrifice herself to save that Clemson class destroyer from certain annihilation. [:D]
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”