New NVidia Shield Tablet

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

radic202

New NVidia Shield Tablet

Post by radic202 »

Anyone getting this or is slightly interested in it?? It comes out on July 29th, 2014.

Image[/img]

I have some of my Birthday money left over (yep just like a kid) and was thinking of delving into this. I have the ipad-mini with retina display for ios games but was looking at this plus the controller for any android games.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/nvidia/nvidiatablet.php

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Terminus

RE: New NVidia Shield Tablet

Post by Terminus »

Not even remotely interested. It does nothing that my current home electronics don't.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I just got a Galaxy Tab 4 so probably not.
wodin

Post by wodin »

The tech inside is pretty poor..really wouldn't bother.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

not seen a tablet yet that i'd want to play on, or laptop for that matter, unless they bring out a i7 one with a massive screen, wouldn't be portable or run off batteries so can't see it happening any time soon tbh [8|]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Not interested. I'm strictly a PC gamer.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Strictly speaking, I have yet to see a single desktop I'd want to be forced to sit in front of. You can't put a desktop in your purse and you sure can't just pick it up and carry it out to the patio.

I think PC elitism is kinda funny on the surface. But that's because I happen to know a tablet can do many things a desktop can't. And with an hdmi cable there is no reason to consider a laptop inferior screenwise as you can connect them to any TV you want to sit it next to.

Now of course, if you buy an inferior laptop, you have an inferior laptop. But I could say the same about desktops. They are not magically better unless you buy the right parts, and then those parts become inferior at an incredible speed.

It says nothing if you make the usual mouse keyboard comments, as you can plug those into a laptop or tablet.

But recently I have had to get a grip on my tech envy which was getting out of hand. If you don't commute, you likely have no specific need of a tablet. Why pick a tablet over a laptop if their is limited point in doing it. I can sit in my comfy chair with either equally well. And I have found that a 10in tablet gets a bit weighty after a few minutes.

I like how a tablet is much more functional than a ereader, but, if the point is to read a typical book, the ereader is also easier on the weight and the eyes. Plus tablets are lousy in sunlight. But then so is a laptop to a point. But then I have yet to enjoy watching TV with too much light hitting the screen. Hell even paper can be a nuisance with glare hitting the page :)

I don't have a job to spend an hour plus coming and going from on a public transit method, nor do I own a cottage (sadly) to need something to amuse myself at. So my purchase of a tablet when they first arrived was basically tech envy. And I am annoyed at myself for being that way.

But I don't own a desktop for a reason. They are great big desk eating monsters, and really, anything that they can do a laptop can do. No really, your super duper supposedly better desktop is not a better machine than my laptop. It can't do anything my laptop can't.

Granted it also helps that I couldn't care less about a wide swath of games vital to most of the kids these days. So having an up to the minute video card is not much of a perk to me. I can run War in the East and Civilization V and run several applications at the same time as well as have it stream Netflix to my TV while doing routine work on it at the same time.

But inasmuch as tablets are concerned, I was a bit flustered that my Asus epad Transformer would not run Frontline Road to Moscow for Android. Clearly our tablet games are following the same process that PC games do, they are getting more and more hardware demanding. My Asus Nexus 7 runs it just fine. But these devices have to actually be 'needed' by the individual, and in my case, I have had to realize, I was buying toys out of a desire to 'keep up with the Jones' and that is never a good reason. Any game I can play on a tablet, I can play on my laptop. And if I am in the same room as the laptop, there is no logical reason to not use the laptop. And my laptop can basically go with me casually almost any where.

And there is a limit to how vital it is to need a quasi computer when sitting on the toilet :)

My laptop is never unplugged unless there is a specific reason to do it also. So comments regarding battery duration mean nothing.
Until I obtained my current Sony Bravia 32 in TV, I was actually using the Asus 10in tablet on my desk as a mini TV as well. And if you leave it plugged in, it also has no need to care about charge duration.

One thing I have learned to like about a laptop over a desktop. During a storm, you can just ignore the risk of the power going out and you losing all of what you were working on. If the power goes out, you have a couple of hours to make the decision to back up any data. When the power goes out for a desktop, it goes off immediately too.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Zakblood,

http://store.sony.com/vaio-tap-21-mobil ... Tablet-PCs

I have the older Tap20, and I really like it. The batteries can't carry it for all that long, but it does have a battery!

Chuck
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

...I think PC elitism is kinda funny on the surface....

You're pretty quick to judge. Are you a "tablet elitist?"
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I'm a "desktop" gamer myself. My screen is 22 inch. It wouldn't be very practical as a "laptop" or "tablet". I can appreciate the convenience of "tablets" and "laptops", I do own a couple laptops but usually when I'm not at home with some spare time in front of my desktop I'm either at work in front of a computer they provide according to price and need or doing something that I don't need to be glued to a computer for.

I recently started riding my bike again. I could imagine riding my bike with a tablet attached to the handlebars about as much as I can imagine texting and driving a car. I recently joined a tennis club with the hope of getting into better shape. Again a computer isn't very practical while doing such activities. When one of my folks goes into a hospital I usually bring along a very small laptop to pass time but talking to those around me usually causes time to go by much quicker from my experience. I see people sitting in a Panera or Starbucks with portable computers and I have to wonder what is more attractive on the screen than looking around me, watching people, birds, clouds in the sky, or anything else. I think some might be amazed at how much you can learn just from people watching...
wodin

Post by wodin »

Not sure why Mrs Wargamer feels the need to keep registering under different names AKA DSWargamer. Your way to opinionated to get away with it:) Unless there is another "female" wargamer who praises the tablet and belittles the PC on his forum and is very vocal with their opinions which I find highly unlikely.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

...I think PC elitism is kinda funny on the surface....

You're pretty quick to judge. Are you a "tablet elitist?"

Nah just having fun knowing you 'it has to be on a PC' crowd are easy to bait.

I'm thinking of selling my tablet though, I succumbed to tech envy when I got it in the first place. I don't work, so I don't commute, and lacking a cottage, it tends to be silly owning one, when I should just sit in front of the laptop if I feel like getting in some gaming.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Not sure why Mrs Wargamer feels the need to keep registering under different names AKA DSWargamer. Your way to opinionated to get away with it:) Unless there is another "female" wargamer who praises the tablet and belittles the PC on his forum and is very vocal with their opinions which I find highly unlikely.

I used to like the DS back in 2006, then the tech lost it's savvyness. Not to mention a 10 inch screen so totally out does a puny DS screen :)

As for the name, well for one, I wanted just one name, and two, when Slitherine ate Matrix Games (I hope none of you think Matrix Games was actually coming to the rescue of Slitherine :) ), it was just a matter of time I suppose they made an effort to merge the forum communities (although I confess, the forum software here is not as buggy), and I wanted to use my real name. But the merging process is a mangled disaster if you ask me. So I simply cut the other account loose. They can do whatever it is they wish to do with it, I'm not going to lose sleep waiting for them though.

I do though wish they could figure out that unified log in thing some day. My log in is remembered here just fine, my log in over at Slitherine is woefully miserable. The front page NEVER remembers me regardless and the forum log in seems like a 'maybe' process.

I ditched the DS and I ditched the dsgamer :)

As for opinionated :) That's cute.

There are more female wargamers than just me though. Rhonda though it the other old gal here that I know of. And I have no idea if I am alone at Slitherine. It tends to be a limited gain prospect mentioning our gender in male dominated space though. I'm too old to care though.

You men often sound like butt hurt little boys. Oh I belittled their precious little desktops. Are you kidding me? That's as irrational as me getting upset if you were to say Tupperware sucks.

Return to “General Discussion”