NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - Between the Storms

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) - Reluctant Admiral

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

DAN!!!!

I'm not sure we can truly express how much he added to the community, and how much we all miss him.

+1

His AAR against Q-Ball was the key that got me to invest in this community and gave me so many good reads, as did the later ones. But i also miss the main forum posts. Give us a shout Dan!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JuanG

Good info gents. How many factories should be allocated to a plane I "want?" 3X30? More?

At least.

I have a total of 7 size 30s split between the two Zero lines in my RA game, and those seem to be doing a solid job. For later aircraft I will probably aim for similar numbers, depending on how the industry is doing (RA is really harsh on this one, I nearly wrecked mine in February/March due to my attention being elsewhere). I do not plan to convert any R&D facilities to production, but rather either move to the next model down or to another airframe as needed.

Also, apologies for not getting anything to you on the signature front yet, but I have yet to come up with anything adequate, and frankly looking at the lovely piece obvert put together I don't think I have any chance of being competitive...[:'(]

Not at all! I'd just been dying to use some of these pics for something cool. Thought it might give you some ideas for a more finished design with more artworks (and fireworks, maybe). Look forward to seeing something you come up with. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Spidery

Post by Spidery »

2) Back on strategy, I have wondered for some time whether there is a certain "minimum overextension" option to go for auto victory, and a recent PM has me thinking along those lines again. In other words, beyond the "normal" perimeter, what is the minimum bases needed for a real shot at auto vic? Is this at all viable or is it necessary to go big in India, Oz, etc? The basic idea might be normal conquests plus the big SOPAC bases (Noumea, Fiji, etc) plus a heavy push in China plus whatever is needed to go "over the top." Is that Perth? More? I haven't crunched any numbers on this, has anyone else? I am leery of going for an Indian conquest or a total occupation of Oz (remember Between the Storms add lots of ships but few troops). Is there another way?

I think it depends on how aggressive a defense the Allied player runs. If he contests your advance then you are unlikely to be able to maintain a 4::1 ratio in material damage so need more territory. If he follows a Sir Robin approach then it may be sufficient to take China, Northern Oz and the South Pacific.

I think there is a potential option to pick up significant VP from damage to Australian industry. VP that will be useful whether or not AV is obtained 1st Jan 1943.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

You want 'my' personal perimeter? Consider that we're playing each other in a month or so...

1. South Pacific: Horn, PM, New Caledonia, Efate, and Luganville.
2. Central Pacific: Normal plus Midway.
3. NW Australia
4. Aleutians: Cold Bay/Harbour and all points west
5. Upper Burma/SE India

To make it interesting?
A. All Northern Australia from Perth to Townsville including Tennant Creek and Alice Springs.

That combination gets to to 3-1 fairly easily.

I believe that India proper is a Tar Baby. Was willing to try it against the guys in my last game but am not sure if the risk is truly worth it.

My .02...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Very useful info on multiple levels, John. Thanks.

Part of my thinking is what you said about Michael's behavior with USN CVs. If he plans to make them scarce anyway, it might create an opening. Then again, many of the new ships & planes for the Allies in Between the Storms will be well placed to help slow down the initial Japanese attacks in the DEI, so maintaining a proper loss ratio will be tough.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

You are correct. The Allies will have a MASSIVE potential fleet in the South Pacific. The entire Scouting Force (2 BC, 2 CLV, 1 CA, and DDs) added to the NZ and Aussie Forces (remember that Aust and NZ gain the services of CAVs as well) make for a potentially fearsome threat to any Japanese expansion south.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Home. I shall FINISH and get released all three Mods within the week of time.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Woot!
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Glad to see you starting up another game. I enjoyed your last AAR very much and will follow this one too. [:)]
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Thanks,Joc! Welcome aboard.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

It is DONE! Need to do some testing but the Mod is complete.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Banzai!!
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

What's holding this bad boy AAR from really getting going??!!

I am starting an AAR for Treaty Mod so we have the other new scenario up and running.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

RL kind of killed me last week, but you're right. It's time to fire this thing up!
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I've started my Treaty Mod (Scen 45) game with Lew. Turn just sent.

Go GET Michael Dwain!

BANZAI!!!

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Working on turn 1 now. Can't wait to get it rolling.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Working on turn 1 now. Can't wait to get it rolling.

Any hints for the gallery on what you are planning? [:)]
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Good question.

In this mod, supplies and other stocks are lower than in the standard game. Thus, you just can't get too exotic out of the gate. The DEI must fall asap so that the spice will flow.

Phase 2 may well involve parts of Oz and the SOPAC islands with high VP values. Don't know that auto vic is in play, but the hope there would be to facilitate the Oz campaign and perhaps draw out the USN for a beatin' while the odds are in the IJN's favor.

I plan to try to engage Michael's air force if he'll come out to play. Although I believe the Allies can spend PPs to re-plenish their airframe stocks in this mod, that is still an area of attrition I want to exploit.

I am actually toying with making my initial air assault on Manila. Rationale: 1) facilitates rapid DEI moves; 2) Cebu is an alternate anchorage and I want to hit it soon; 3) the numerous new enemy surface assets render the old BBs at Pearl even less useful (although still great for amphibs and bombardments, of course). Then again, killing the Cats at Pearl is a bonus. What say ya'll?

Another option is to split KB and hit both. This is allowed under the scenario and house rules.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

PS - If things are going well, Ceylon might be on the menu as a defensive foreground and as a feint before the Oz move.

PPS - Of course we want to hammer China, at least to the point it is isolated and incapable of further offensive action until late war. A big economic goal is the capture to the Lanchow oil.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I would hit Manila. Having the KB in the region will give you a tremendous advantage and guarantee your goal of a swift capture of the DEI.

Then again I have never played the Japanese in a PBEM...but being on the receiving end of that tactics wasn´t very pleasant! [:)]

Return to “After Action Reports”