new amphib

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

new amphib

Post by geofflambert »

Didn't notice anyone having posted on this. [X(]

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/16/tech/ ... =obnetwork

Gaspote

RE: new amphib

Post by Gaspote »

"The full-scale model should be able to carry at least three tanks and a HMMVW (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle),"
[X(]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Totally cool, but at what expense? It seem like the trend is very costly high tech equipment in very limited numbers. This seems great for limited and local engagement with technically inferior powers but I get a sneaking suspicion that when the next "big one" happens, most of our expensive equipment will be mutually destroyed in the first six hours, and then the conflict will go on for the next six years with bayonets and slings being the predominant weapons...[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I want one!
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I want one!

Yes, we all know you want one for your extravagant BBQ beach parties, but the USMC designed these for anytime they want to vakay on Grenada.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ole man ribber.....

Back to the paddle wheel!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Totally cool, but at what expense? It seem like the trend is very costly high tech equipment in very limited numbers. This seems great for limited and local engagement with technically inferior powers but I get a sneaking suspicion that when the next "big one" happens, most of our expensive equipment will be mutually destroyed in the first six hours, and then the conflict will go on for the next six years with bayonets and slings being the predominant weapons...[;)]

And rocks and spears...[:D]..GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

All of these high tech toys are getting more and more complicated. That just means more and more stuff to break down and harder and harder to maintain. I guess KISS has been totally forgotten in favor of whizbang.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

All of these high tech toys are getting more and more complicated. That just means more and more stuff to break down and harder and harder to maintain. I guess KISS has been totally forgotten in favor of whizbang.

The issue for the US now is personnel costs. Long gone are the days when an E-1 was unmarried and cost about $100/month due to the draft. Equipment that is complex might keep the fewer numbers alive longer. Look at the manning of a Burke-class DD versus, say, a Spruance from the 1970s. Now compare it to capability.

We have made the decision to rely on contractors to repair modularized gear behind the lines and then depend on superior logistics (most USAF) to get the gear back to the front. It was this way in the old days to an extent too. I can't tell you how much stuff on my boat was "even cog" repair parts. You had to send in the broken one to get a new issue.

I think in the not to distant future that 3D printing will come into military logistics in a big way. I have been encouraging young people to look into this tech for long-term investment opportunities. It will be the Internet of their generation in terms of explosive growth. Right alongside factory-grown meat.
The Moose
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Old Al was right.

Who knows what we'll fight WW3 with, but WW4 will surely be sticks and stones.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: tocaff

The issue for the US now is personnel costs. Long gone are the days when an E-1 was unmarried and cost about $100/month due to the draft. Equipment that is complex might keep the fewer numbers alive longer. Look at the manning of a Burke-class DD versus, say, a Spruance from the 1970s. Now compare it to capability.

We have made the decision to rely on contractors to repair modularized gear behind the lines and then depend on superior logistics (most USAF) to get the gear back to the front. It was this way in the old days to an extent too. I can't tell you how much stuff on my boat was "even cog" repair parts. You had to send in the broken one to get a new issue.

I think in the not to distant future that 3D printing will come into military logistics in a big way. I have been encouraging young people to look into this tech for long-term investment opportunities. It will be the Internet of their generation in terms of explosive growth. Right alongside factory-grown meat.

This is spot on. The massive amount of investment into 3D printing is beyond anything in history. And it is just going to even bigger.

The scale of what 3D printing means to humanity is hard to comprehend. From working guns to food.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-28/all-the-food-thats-fit-to-3d-print-from-chocolates-to-pizza

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”