ALARMs British MOD

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

goodwoodrw

ALARMs British MOD

Post by goodwoodrw »

Its obvious the British MOD have not played CMAO! Try and get rid of SAM sites with Storm Shadow missiles, not an easy task. I'm sure it would be easier with Anti Radiation Missiles. What was the theory behind all this? Is there any Brits that can shed a light on this matter. I know this issue was discussed a little while ago.
Formerly Goodwood

NakedWeasel

RE: ALARMs British MOD

Post by NakedWeasel »

I'm not sure I understand your issue- I'm pretty sure the ALARM missile is in the DB. It IS an effective weapon, both in RL, as well as the game.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

He's referring to the fact that the British retired the ALARM at the end of last year, leaving the RAF without an ARM.
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Oh... natch. That does suck.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Remember that Storm Shadow has capabilities we can't exploit in Command at this time. Most significant is that its' flight path at VLo altitude can be set to avoid known SAM engagement areas and can maximize the use of terrain masking against detection & engagement.

Not that I agree with the retirement of the ALARM...
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

I remember the first time I heard of the ALARM. I was pretty young and had just picked up the flight sim EF2000. It was fairly high fidelity for the times so I took the manual with me for a good bathroom read. I got to the section on weapons and was really impressed with what ALARM could do. Launch them towards a suspected SAM site, let them climb up to nose bleed altitudes and punch a small parachute out the back so they can float slowly to the ground, seeker always pointed down waiting for an operator to go hot. I was of the mind that traditional Wild Weasel operations were going to be ancient history by the time I was old enough to take part.

I understand that many of our newest weapons have capabilities far beyond my best estimation, but if the US still sees the need to keep building dedicated SEAD/DEAD aircraft and weapons there has to be a good reason to keep them around. Stealth and networked weapons are extremely capable, but only when their part of a package that supports their operations. Depending on the F-35 and next gen smart weapons just isn't enough IMHO.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Well, apparently Israeli Air Force is not too keen on ARMs per se (though they used lot of Shrikes and Standard ARMs in past). But weapon of choice seems to be Delilah-AL, for it's imaging seeker and loitering capability.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

ORIGINAL: NakedWeasel

I'm not sure I understand your issue- I'm pretty sure the ALARM missile is in the DB. It IS an effective weapon, both in RL, as well as the game.

No question there are ALARM armed Tornados in the DB however if not mistaken, there is none after 2014. I guess if you want to put ALARMs on Tornados or Eurofighters there is nothing stopping a scenario designer adding mounts to them.
Formerly Goodwood

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”