Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Australia Invaded!

Post by Lowpe »

Old. Yes. Obsolete. Yes. Deadly. Yes.

The Vals strut their stuff...

Attachments
mili.jpg
mili.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

And while the KB is busy attacking ships in the Marshalls, Lightnings sweep Kwaj inflicting their usual terrible losses and dogfights over Prome are heavily in favor of the Americans.

The Port Moresby invasion has been well, and duly telegraphed to the Americans, but naval search has shown no ships in the area. But planes are another matter....

American bombers attempt to stop the Port Moresby attack with long range bombers.

Zeroes swoop to the defense of the bombardment ships.

The A6M5c is one hard working frame today....

Attachments
darwin.jpg
darwin.jpg (137.1 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

It seems by the afternoon only two destroyers can be found around Mili.

Attachments
darwin.jpg
darwin.jpg (138.27 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Other than the nasty dogfights over Prome, decidedly pro Allied thanks to Lightnings on CAP, the bombardment fleets of both Rangoon and Akyab make good their escapes...

Meanwhile, an even stronger surface fleet is approaching Akyab from the west...

And as the sun sets, the combined might of the Americans, British and Commonwealth troops attack the veteran Imperial Guards Division east of Prome. They have fought hard, and long and are getting weary.

But, as the Allied troops push forward, Type 95 light tanks reinforce the Imperial Guards and the attack is repulsed again. The 14th Tank Regiment had arrived.

For some reason, there where no bombing attacks on the Guards today...[:D]

5 Destroyers west of Prome are not spotted, and they still have a fair amount of ammo left. They may run into Akyab again tonight to get rid of the last MGB.

Attachments
burma.jpg
burma.jpg (141.29 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

A few Zero losses for the day[:(], but I will take it!

Attachments
burma.jpg
burma.jpg (72.52 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Intelligence reports for the day are notably not exaggerated. Expect to see lots more added to that list over time!

The Allies exceed 700 ships lost by a comfortable margin!

Attachments
burma.jpg
burma.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The KAI Dinah is turning out to be, so far, a fairly effective disrupting night fighter.

I split up the 87th Sentai in 1/3rds. Each third has 12 planes. They each went to bases I need to protect from nightly bombing runs. I set the altitude at 8000 feet.

The Pilots aren't anything special -- they ave 43 exp, 61 air, 51 def.

However, because the planes have such a lousy rate of climb, and warning on night raids is very low, they seldom get engaged in long air to air battles at night. Subsequently, they manage to intercept wave after wave of bombers, but don't get shot down in huge numbers, and disrupt the attack.

The Dinah also has a fairly high durability for a non-armored plane.

The group pictured below intercepted 3 attacks, suffered no losses, and gave up only 1 runway hit. Not too bad!

The army is adopting this technique at all their bases that need night bombing defense. How will the Allies adopt to this?

Attachments
dinah.jpg
dinah.jpg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

In attempting to move my second bombardment group against Akyab, the Admiral at sea thinks there is something lurking for them in the middle of the Bay of Bengal.

Hmm...British Carriers? Battleships?

Not sure if I should order him in or not. Probably not, I like to go with my local commander's hunches whenever possible and not force the issue.

Attachments
dangerous.jpg
dangerous.jpg (108.94 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

The big predators always hide in the deep waters. Estimated time to intercept for the KAI Dinah... 56 minutes. Classic: the true minute-man of fighters.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Brilliant use of the night fighters.

I've scribed this in the Holy Handbook of Handy Hints.
Thanks

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

The big predators always hide in the deep waters.

I agree. There be monsters there. Most likely Prince of Wales and her consorts. It could be nasty.

The Admiral reverts to a safer course, and Emilies come back from Oz (where they where instrumental in capturing Darwin, Wyndham, and helping to destroy the 4th Australian ID) and resume naval search looking for monster fleets. I actually broke down and assigned search vectors.[:)]

Betties and Nells with torpedoes stand ready to attack any sightings.

All of this is a bit of a let down, since I planned on following up and hitting Akyab again with the heavies, but now there will be at least one more full day before I can revisit the port. Lousy bombers will probably get repaired.

Attachments
dangerous.jpg
dangerous.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Thanks

Well, it is not thoroughly tested yet. A half dozen engagements so far, and only one lost plane and no real damage from the night bombing.

They have yet to stand up to the monster 20 wave night bombing raid. That will be the real test. Probably coming up soon in Burma. Like tomorrow.[X(]

It seems to me the Japanese player can be cursed with early night bombing, Lightning sweeps, tank assaults, Fletcher spam, overwhelming material superiority. Finding answers to these problems makes being Japan so much more enjoyable. The answers are there somewhere...

Of course the Allies have their own curses too.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Does anyone know why I can't transfer Iwo to the General Reserve?

Attachments
iwo.jpg
iwo.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Thanks

It seems to me the Japanese player can be cursed with early night bombing, Lightning sweeps, tank assaults, Fletcher spam, overwhelming material superiority. Finding answers to these problems makes being Japan so much more enjoyable. The answers are there somewhere...

Of course the Allies have their own curses too.

The answer, I think, lies as much in strategy as tactics. Operations and tactics are very important in this game, and other things being equal, generally determine the winner (who can get there firstest with the mostest) just as in real war. Thus strategically Japan has an advantage as her internal lines of movement are shorter than the allies, and she can move asset rapidly from one area of her defensive perimeter to the other, whereas the allies have much longer routes, for most of the war, to bring their forces to bear at any one location.

There is another solution, I think, though it is too late to try it in your game. That is to gain control of large swaths of the Pacific, especially Centpac early. In most cases, it is not a handful of Punjabi divisions that will bring down the empire. It is the rapid expansion and application of the U.S. force-pool. As such, I tend to think Japan needs to focus more on the Pacific in the early going, setting up listening posts all across the Pacific to hunt down and destroy U.S. deployments and force, by whatever mean necessary, a carrier engagement, before they are hopelessly outnumbered.

Mahan was correct and the Japanese navy was correct in their initial planning, in my opinion. They just enacted their strategic plans too late, as the army´s needs were always given preference. Put Tojo in charge of the Southern Army on December 6; get him out of Tokyo. Then Yamamoto will have the emperor´s ear, and Japan has a chance to win.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

In attempting to move my second bombardment group against Akyab, the Admiral at sea thinks there is something lurking for them in the middle of the Bay of Bengal.

Hmm...British Carriers? Battleships?

Not sure if I should order him in or not. Probably not, I like to go with my local commander's hunches whenever possible and not force the issue.

Fixed that for you. Would've used a better image, but didn't want to rip off somebody's artwork.
Attachments
FTFY.jpg
FTFY.jpg (245.19 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Nice. I hope we get some monster sightings![:D]

I have felt for a long time that the Allies should strike with their navy at my shipping along the lower Burma coastline.

It may simply be that he doesn't have the strength to do so or more likely he is unwilling to really risk them. I have a fair amount of anti-shipping planes there including a squadron of the Lilly IIb, but you can dart in and out pretty quickly...

Tiemanj has skirted his large ships within Betty range several times in this theater and has been saved by advanced weather...other times he hasn't been so lucky.[:D]

British losses...Formidable, Valiant and Indomitable were on the list for a long time.

Attachments
britishshiplosses.jpg
britishshiplosses.jpg (264.66 KiB) Viewed 91 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Changing base commands - "IF" I remember right, sometimes those small AA units are not large enough to bring up the "General Reserve" option. You may need to spend PPs for another LCU on Iwo-Jima to allow you to change this. I would try to use a turn that you have just hit "F" to save the turn. Then, go to Iwo and spend PP to change something else (I use BFs) to "General Reserve." This should do it, but if not, you can exit the turn and reload without losing PPs if it doesn't work. Many Japanese players do this for a few bases in Kuriles to allow those GR air groups to operate up there.
[center]Image[/center]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

There is another solution, I think, though it is too late to try it in your game. That is to gain control of large swaths of the Pacific, especially Centpac early. In most cases, it is not a handful of Punjabi divisions that will bring down the empire. It is the rapid expansion and application of the U.S. force-pool. As such, I tend to think Japan needs to focus more on the Pacific in the early going, setting up listening posts all across the Pacific to hunt down and destroy U.S. deployments and force, by whatever mean necessary, a carrier engagement, before they are hopelessly outnumbered.

Strategy: I agree about the Americans. I would love to be fighting over the Gilbert's right now.

I am not sure about expanding past that though, because I feel it doesn't really matter how much of the Americans you sink in 41 and 42, they can still crush Japan. Look at Obvert's recently finished game. It is supplies that is is the crux, so for me it is supply preservation and generation that is the key strategic puzzle.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Changing base commands - "IF" I remember right, sometimes those small AA units are not large enough to bring up the "General Reserve" option. You may need to spend PPs for another LCU on Iwo-Jima to allow you to change this. I would try to use a turn that you have just hit "F" to save the turn. Then, go to Iwo and spend PP to change something else (I use BFs) to "General Reserve." This should do it, but if not, you can exit the turn and reload without losing PPs if it doesn't work. Many Japanese players do this for a few bases in Kuriles to allow those GR air groups to operate up there.

Thanks. I did this for the ENG unit there and it is large enough to change the base to General Reserve.

Wasted a few PP in switching the AA unit out. No real loss...
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Feb 8th, 1943

No monster sightings in the Bay of Bengal.[:(]

British 4e attack Magwe at night again. The peerless KAI Dinah flies to the defense. The patrolling plane is recalled out of contact. Fighters scrambling will take 30 minutes to get into position. No matter, the attack is disrupted, no damage done and 2 Liberator II are damaged. A job well done.[:)]

During the day, the IJA bombs the 2 understrength Chinese divisions at Shwebo, and two IJA forces start their pincer attack there. The only way the Chinese can hold onto Shwebo is with massive bomber participation....

Meanwhile, the 1st Tank Division is north of Rangoon...

And infantry divisions all across Burma are upgrading their TOE -- making them much better against armored foes. The lessons of the Imperial Guards in tank fighting is being adopted theater wide.

The 4th Division attacks east of Tuang Gyi, these are the fleeing Chindits and the British losses are heavy, however the fresh (but unsupplied) 1st Gloucestershire Battalion (isn't that a sauce?) holds their ground, and the order to fix bayonets is given for the morrow...

East of Prome, the massive armored might of the Allies simply bombards the Imperial Guards Division, recently reinforced with a tank regiment and this day with a fresh mixed brigade.

The IJN targets two large surface groups for bombardment. Target: Akyab and all those damaged bombers and port facilities.

Attachments
burma.jpg
burma.jpg (236.68 KiB) Viewed 91 times

Return to “After Action Reports”