Artillery effects modeling

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

FlyingBear

Artillery effects modeling

Post by FlyingBear »

This goes in the "I do not have specific data sources but this just can't be right" category.

The attached pictures and logs show a Kotlin class destroyer sinking an Iowa class battleship with 8 130 mm gun hits in 3 minutes. I was already concerned about how even a few gun hits would cause severe flooding, but I was not sure if it is just me who need to learn something or if this was wrong. But against a battleship? No way.

Picture 1, severe flooding after the first hit.

Attachments
BBhit1.jpg
BBhit1.jpg (200.55 KiB) Viewed 48 times
FlyingBear

RE: Artillery effects modeling

Post by FlyingBear »

Picture 2; sunk on the eighth hit.

Attachments
BBhit8.jpg
BBhit8.jpg (200.11 KiB) Viewed 48 times
FlyingBear

Post by FlyingBear »

Log

I did not fire back since I wanted to get an idea of the staying power of the battleship against artillery. It was not as I expected.
Attachments
AALog.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

The game doesn't really model ship armor yet as it takes place in the modern era where armor is rare to non existent. So not a huge priority.

If we go Ww2 you'll certainly see it become a greater priority.

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Oh!  I didn't know that.

For the modern era I would tend to agree; however, I think this would be a big issue for cold war scenarios.

Regards,
Feltan
FlyingBear

Post by FlyingBear »

That is understood and fine. But it is not really the armor I am concerned about so much as the floatability. Even without armor drilling a few 130 mm holes in the water line should not sink a large warship. Thus I am wondering if you have some problem in the algorithms that figure out how much flooding should result from artillery hits.

Still agree that you should probably have higher priorities, including your summer break. [:)]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ah just looked at the log. Its a twin 130mm and the Iowa suffered severe flooding and capsized. [:)]

ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Yeah we'll expand the damage model a fair bit when we get back from our summer break. The current model is far more advanced than Harpoon3 but as your savegame shows there are some shortcomings.

No promises on ETA for the improvements but hopefully before Christmas. Horribly complex stuff to implement, test and balance out since there are so many parameters and combinations of parameters that need to be taken into account.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

Return to “Tech Support”