AAR: Istfemer (A) vs zeke99 (J)

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Istfemer

AAR: Istfemer (A) vs zeke99 (J)

Post by Istfemer »

My first PBEM game! [:)] Allied side. And the experienced zeke99 is my opponent.
Will I be able to stop him from overrunning the Hawaii Isles and the West Coast (or, in a less extreme case, India and Australia)? The time will tell.

Scenario is Rising Sun (PBEM); Even; Historical move.
We are playing by Zeke's house rules, so no invasion of Japan's mainland until the Philippines are taken.

We are a few turns into the game already.
#####

Situation on 12/14/41
---
Jap airstrikes on PH port sink "only" 2 BBs: Maryland and California. A DD, AV and a Henderson AP are sunk there as well.
Strikes on Force Z sink Repulse and 2 DDs, leaving Prince of Wales heavily damaged. Strikes on Allied airfields destroy quite a high number of aircraft, unfortunately.

68 fighters shot down in the air and 136 a/c destroyed on the ground at Pearl Harbor. The former number includes Allied a/c lost in the counterattacks on Kido Butai.
15 fighters shot down in the air and over 80 a/c destroyed on the ground at Singapore.
26 fighters shot down in the air and 64 a/c destroyed on the ground at Clark Field.

All the usual bases the Japanese can take during a historical turn are taken. (excepting Wake Island, of course, which is bombarded instead in this scenario)
Istfemer

RE: AAR: Istfemer (A) vs zeke99 (J)

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 12/21/41
---
Kido Butai evidently splits into 3 roughly equal-sized TFs, one of which hits Wake. Losses small there.

Japs bombard Lingayen and land there. Likely due to overwhelming odds, Lieutenant-General Emmons and 3 (I think) Philippine divisions surrender. [:(]
Cagayan is also bombarded and is later taken by Jap land forces. Hong Kong falls too and after a brief struggle its garrison is eliminated.
Japanese land at Mindoro and capture it.
Bangkok is taken overland.

In DEI, the Japanese take Tarakan and land on Menando but fail to take the empty base. [:D]

Rabaul and Milne Bay are bombarded first and captured later. Allied air forces at Gasmata take a few shots at the passing Jap TFs to little effect.
Hudsons at Port Moresby manage to sink a Katori-class CL. Yay!
New Georgia is captured.

Landings at Kendari and Ellice Island (going after the SoPac HQ here, Zeke? I didn't touch it. It's still here, on Ellice [;)]) are successfully repelled by surface forces.

A Japanese Air TF is sighted near Kendari and attacks MCSs in port at Ambon. 3 are sunk. Forgot to move them. Maybe that's why my SCTF at Kendari survived.
This very Air TF (2 CVLs) also strikes Kendari, but its planes only hurt themselves on flak. Aerial counterattacks against it are unsuccessful.
3 enemy cargo ships are sunk in the waters around the Philippines by LBA.

I am busy assembling my forces and evacuating LCUs at the moment and I'm very short on preparation points. There is never enough of them in the first weeks.
I also lost an oiler somewhere.

Ah yes, how could've I forgotten? Zeke took Attu Island.
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 12/28/41
---
Not a very good turn. Lost 3 APs, 2 of which I really shouldn't have.
Surprisingly few landings this turn. One on Adak island in the Aleutians (taken unopposed) and another one on Ambon. Japs bombard Ambon and capture the base but the Aus Sprwforce Bn is not finished yet.

British TFs bombard Rangoon... aaand take a few unpleasant hits from Japanese LBA.

Kendari is bombarded by surface units AND hit by KB made of 5 fleet carriers. My Tenedos DD from Hong Kong is sunk there. (in surface combat)
Allied LBA at Kendari puts an asterisk into each of two Zeke's escaping CVLs, but this is not nearly enough.

There is a HUGE Japanese fleet at Palau. 9 TFs, about 125 ships in total. 5 of them appear to contain carriers... And KB is not there as it happens.
It is, in fact, still between Kendari and Menando, ready to attack my vulnerable spots. Yet another CV TF is at Truk. I am not intimidated... much. [:)]

Jitra, Manila, Gasmata all captured by Japanese land forces. Menando is finally captured after a brief delay. Makin Island is now too under Japanese control.
In China, IJA forces march on Nanhsiung.

1 Allied MCS sunk near Rangoon.

I am still somewhat short on PPs, ferrying LCUs and all that. Also, I am quite obviously reinforcing Rangoon.
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 1/4/42
---
Kendari and Cape Gloucester taken by the enemy.

Negros, Panay, Leyte, Samar, Cebu&Bohol all captured. Clark Field (which is fortunately empty of aircraft) yields to the Japanese.
The Philippines are now almost completely controlled by the Japs. Zeke did a good job there. Bataan is expected to fall soon.

In the Malaya region, Kuantan falls. The defending division surrenders.

Morotai, Manokwari, Kavieng, Bougainville, Green Island all captured by Zeke's amphibious forces.

Allies are thoroughly whacked at Rangoon by Zeke's steamrolling divisions and are forced to retreat. The base is lost. Bad. (alas, 2 squad defense)
Another Allied AP is sunk here. Argh.

A small consolation: in the Aleutians, Allies retake Adak island.
Aus Sprwforce Bn on Ambon still holds.

4 Allied MCSs lost for 11 Japanese.
Some of my ships refused to move last turn. What gives?
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Some of my ships refused to move last turn. What gives?

Sounds like the Stuck TF bug that you occasionally see in PacWar. My advice: disband the TF in port, and re-create it, with a different TF number if possible.

Out of curiousity, did the Prince of Wales make it to a port for repair?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Out of curiousity, did the Prince of Wales make it to a port for repair?
Prince of Wales is not completely safe at the moment, but I think she (or is that a he?) will get away.

I have also evacuated some units from the Philippines. The transports must now make a very dangerous run. Zeke's carrier groups are not that far away.
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 1/11/42
---

FLASH: Japs capture Darwin!
To lose Darwin that early does not bode well for me.

/edit/
Darwin was hit by a 5-CV KB and heavily bombarded.
Zeke landed at least 4 waves of troops there. The 4th wave took the base [s]while suffering significant losses.[/s]
Or maybe not the 4th, as my battle report shows that the garrison suffered a 2 squad defence at the first sight of attackers.
So it was a fever dream, then. The VCR is lying again, isn't it? [&:]
/edit/

In the Malaya region, Kuala Lumpur falls. Allied forces prepare for a last stand kind of battle at Singapore.
In the Philippines, Bataan's garrison endures multiple air bombings.

Transports on the run from the Philippines suffer heavy casualties - 4 of them are sunk by Japanese LBA. And what's worse, they've stopped in a very BAD place. [:@]
Allies lost a British CV this turn. [:(] My luck didn't hold.
IJA captures Akyab. US Philippine Div safely arrives in India (Dacca).

Ambon is captured. Sorong and Waigen are captured too.
Hollandia is taken over by the Japanese Empire.
Allies bombard Milne Bay.

Allied subs started hunting Japanese shipping. Results are modest so far.
Lost more than a dozen MCSs this turn. I need to rethink my tactics here a bit.

---
Looks like it's going to turn into a very challenging game. (for me :))
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Or maybe not 4th, as my battle report shows that the garrison suffered a 2 squad defence at the first sight of attackers.
So it was a fever dream, then. The VCR is lying again, isn't it?

Did the defending units manage to retreat, or were they destroyed in place? If the latter, it's more likely you had the 2-squad collapse.

Incidentally, the manual is incorrect about the formula used to calculate defensive collapses. IIRC, LCU experience needs to be above 55 to prevent them, which means that the Dutch and Phillipine troops are not very useful -- they only train to 40.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Did the defending units manage to retreat, or were they destroyed in place? If the latter, it's more likely you had the 2-squad collapse.
The former, they managed to retreat.
Incidentally, the manual is incorrect about the formula used to calculate defensive collapses. IIRC, LCU experience needs to be above 55 to prevent them, which means that the Dutch and Phillipine troops are not very useful -- they only train to 40.
What about the LCU tool formula that comes with latest pacwared22.xls editor? Is it incorrect too?
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

quote:

What about the LCU tool formula that comes with latest pacwared22.xls editor? Is it incorrect too?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. The manual gives multiplier numbers of 900 and 2500 for the two LCU experience checks. My information is that the actual numbers in the code are 3000 and 5000. This means that an LCU's experience rating needs to be 55 to always pass the first check (failure reduces readiness to 1) and 71 to always pass the second check (failure reduces readiness to 1/4 of what it was).

I tend to believe this, because I have seen the two-squad defense for units with 40 experience and 99 readiness. This should not be possible under the values given by the manual.

--Victor Hugo
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 1/18/42
---
Several land battles occurred this turn.

1. Singapore is pounded by air raids. Two land battles are fought here:
In the first one Allies attack with 2 squads of troops. In the second one Japs defend with 2 squads of troops. [:)] The base holds; Japanese do not retreat.
2. Broome gets shore-bombarded. Allied LCUs there try to fight the invaders but are not very convincing (or effective) at this. The base holds.
3. At Dacca, Allies hold the ground. My divisions try hard to push the Japanese LCUs out of the base's outskirts, but the latter resist fiercely. (the Japs, not Dacca's outskirts)
Bataan was strangely quiet this turn.
The Japs continue to seize more land:
In the DEI region, Palembang + Timor + Tenimbar Island are all captured.
In the New Guinea region, Wewak + Madang + Admiralty Island are all captured.
In Australia, Cloncurry is taken overland.

4. Chinese Nanhsiung falls at the end-of-turn. KMT forces retreat.

5. More action in New Guinea:
Two of Zeke's landing TFs are repulsed at Port Moresby (which is empty of Allied LCUs), yet the third one still manages to slip through.
Fortunately, it fails to take over the base in time, thus buying me an additional turn.

Allies continue to bombard Milne Bay (lots of enemy supplies destroyed) and land some troops there. Risky move, I know. We'll see what comes of it.

My nearby Air TF approached Milne from the wrong side (argh!) and raided Cape Gloucester (argh 2x!!), losing much of its air power in the process.
Meanwhile, Zeke's 5-CV Air TF showed up near Milne Bay and guess what - it opened fire, I mean, sent planes toward my CVs.
Result: Enterprise is sunk. One Allied CV is heavily damaged, the other one less heavily. (could've been much worse)
I really should have set destination to 0, instead of 1. It certainly would have been more... fun.

Upd:
Lost an Australian Grimsby DE en route to Los Angeles. IJN sub attack.

Australia and Southern New Guinea are quickly heating up. (well, it IS January)
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 1/25/42
---
India/Burma region:
Good news! US units (the 1st Provisional Tank Regiment and the 4th Marine Regiment) rescued from the Philippines arrive safely in Calcutta.
Though they suffered some losses from AP sinkings, they are in good enough shape to help stall the Japanese invasion of Burma & India.

Allies at Dacca continue their fighting efforts but take high losses this turn. (104 squads, 8 arty total)
Some EXP checks were failed + my main Bombardment TF here failed to accomplish its mission.
My squadrons continue to bomb Jap land units near Dacca and Mandalay.
Also, I forgot to mention that I relocated the SW Pacific HQ to India/Burma. MacArthur's skills are needed here.

China:
Battles rage at Kweilen. Losses not too bad for the KMT.
Suichuan taken by the Japanese.

Malaysia and Philippines:
Singapore and Bataan were quiet this turn. Palawan was captured.

DEI:
Surabaya, Oosthaven and Halmahera all captured. Biak and Noemfar are also captured by the Japanese Empire.

Australia/New Guinea:
Broome endures naval bombardments. Land combat is disastrous. Poor EXP and low readiness result in high losses for the Allies.
Land battles at Cairns. Losses are small on both sides but favour us.
Allied airforce raids the Cloncurry airfield. It's not as effective as I hoped it would be.

Japanese capture Port Moresby, Lae and Buka Island.
Alas, we lose a CA and 2 MCSs near Milne Bay. Halsey was on that battered heavy cruiser.
Luckily, he managed to escape unharmed. I am relieved, as I really do not want to lose him.

I withdrew my brigade from Milne, as it was protected by the (likely undivided) 4th SBF. (the one with 243 squads)
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 2/1/42
---
It is the first day of February and my submariners decide to celebrate it with an expedited sinking of Japanese shipping. Result: 20 Jap MCSs and 3 Jap TKs sunk.
No Allied ship losses this turn.

India/Burma region:
Battles in Dacca as usual. Allied airforce is quite effective at bombing Japanese LCUs.

China:
KMT forces suffer significant losses at Nanning and Kweilen. (especially at the latter. My LCUs there perform a 2 squad attack)
Changsha is captured.

Singapore is captured but the fighting there is not over yet.
Bataan falls. All defenders surrender.

DEI/Papua New Guinea:
Sarmi, Kolombangara and Emirau Island are captured.

Australia:
Broome is completely evacuated and in time too!
Zeke brings 3 big and 2 small Bombarment TFs there which proceed to pound the empty base. Much to my surprise, Broome is not captured this turn.
Battles near Cairns continue. Allied Bombardment TFs assist our defenders somewhat.

---
North Pacific:
Allies retake Attu Island in an epic battle: a single Allied unit (not to be named) meets the garrison of 20 terrifying Japanese ghosts.
Only 30 men turn out to be brave enough to confront the enemy. Allies win the staring contest. [:D]
SIGINT told me Attu was empty and I acted on it.
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 2/8/42
---
Not a good turn for the Allies.

Australia:
FLASH: Disaster at Cairns!
2 BBs, 1 CA, 4 CLs, 5 DDs and 1 APD lost for a SINGLE Japanese CL sunk.
A surface engagement happened and we lost it.
My SCTF (2-BB,2-CA,5-CL + others) ran into an enemy BBTF (7-BB,1-CA,3-CL + others) + got hit by 5-CV KB.
I hoped for some reaction strikes, but no luck.

No land combat at Cairns occurred this turn.
Broome is captured unopposed.

India/Burma region:
No land combat here. Air war only.
My air raid from Imphal & Khoma hits Rangoon's airfields. It is not very effective. At least the Oil Industry there sustained Moderate damage.
Japanese raid Calcutta from Akyab and my fighters take significant losses defending the airfield.

China:
Hengyang is captured. A KMT army located there surrenders.

The 8th Australian Inf Div and friends still exist. They remain thoroughly encircled at Singapore.
Medan and Jolo are captured. The Philippines are now completely under Japanese control.

DEI:
Macassar is captured.

Papua New Guinea and vicinity:
D'Entrecateaux, Shortland and Guadalcanal are all captured by the Japanese Empire.
Istfemer

Wow, from bad to worse

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 2/15/42
---
So I screwed up my TF orders big time.

Australia:
FLASH: Even worse disaster at Cairns/Townsville!
9 CAs, 5 CLs and 5 DDs were sunk, most of them lost in surface battles with overwhelming enemy forces.
1 IJN DD sunk in return. Talk about unequal exchange...

Japs land at Townsville and capture it, cutting my forces in Cairns from supply lines. Bad.

India/Burma region:
Air war continues, as do my shore bombardments.
Allies raid Akyab's airfield 3 times.
Results are quite good: 27 Allied fighters and 4 Allied bombers lost for 52 Jap fighters shot down and 44 Jap aircraft destroyed on the ground.

Malaysia and DEI:
The 8th Australian Inf Div and friends make their last stand at Singapore. The Japanese army finally crushes them. Malaysia is now too under complete Japanese control.
Batavia and Bali are captured.

Papua New Guinea:
Aitape and Buna&Gona taken overland. New Guinea is now fully occupied by Japanese forces as well.

---
Tough turn. I see Zeke decided to crush Australia first and leave India for later.
Let's not despair though. Australia may hold yet.
The Allied counteroffensive, however, will have to wait.

Cargo ship losses this turn: 1 IJN / 8 Allied
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 2/22/42
---
Australia:
Not wanting those of my LCUs now stranded in Cairns encircled and destroyed, I decide to evacuate them despite the very heavy enemy air presence in the area.
And so they embark on transports and bravely sail away from Cairns under the hostile skies. Meanwhile, Cairns is bombarded by 2 Jap Bombardment TFs and hit by a strong LBA from Port Moresby and Townsville.

Unfortunately, 7 Allied APs were still sunk by enemy LBA in the end. High flak values did not help them much. *sigh*
Interestingly enough, Cairns was not captured this turn. Every little bit such as this helps me.

Allies initiate land combat at Rockhampton and, as usual, lose more squads than the Japanese.

India/Burma region:
Same old here. Air war continues. My shore bombardments do too.

China:
Japanese squadrons are building up their experience bombing supply depots everywhere. Chinese LCUs at Nanning suffer regular bombings too.

DEI:
Tjilatjap and Soembawa captured.

Central Pacific:
Wake atoll is bombarded by a Japanese 4-CL, 3-DD Bombardment TF.

---
|Ship losses|
3 unescorted Allied AVs were ambushed by IJN subs en route to Pearl this week. Pocomoke was sunk. The two others were only damaged.
I also lost a DD somewhere.

10 IJN MCSs sunk for 1 Allied.
Capt. Harlock

RE: Wow, from bad to worse

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Australia:
FLASH: Even worse disaster at Cairns/Townsville!
9 CAs, 5 CLs and 5 DDs were sunk, most of them lost in surface battles with overwhelming enemy forces.
1 IJN DD sunk in return. Talk about unequal exchange...

It looks like you will have to risk your high-value BB's now if you want to win any surface actions. And that may have to wait until the KB is dealt with. Pity.

--Victor Hugo
Istfemer

RE: Wow, from bad to worse

Post by Istfemer »

It looks like you will have to risk your high-value BB's now if you want to win any surface actions. And that may have to wait until the KB is dealt with. Pity.
Yeah, pity, as I am just as a fan of surface battles as you are. I don't think Zeke will allow me to execute any major surface action now that won't result in severe losses to my ships.
My best bet would be to watch SIGINT and try to ambush his weaker task forces. Alas, Zeke's carriers are everywhere and where they aren't there is Zeke's LBA.
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Situation on 3/1/42
---
It is the 1st of March — the start of monsoon season in India/Burma in the alternate reality that is PACWAR.
Of course my submariners couldn't possibly pass this opportunity. 35 Jap MCSs and 4 Jap TKs were sunk in wild celebrations.
No ship losses on my part except for one poor torpedoed MCS.

BTW, I've just noticed an asterisk near Zeke's Production Score. As it turns out it was hanging there for a month already, right since my submariners' last celebrations.
So Zeke is having oil problems. Good for me. Maybe this'll eventually slow down his naval juggernaut. (among other things)

India/Burma region:
Air war continues. Allies raid Akyab's airfield 3 times, again. This time it is better defended.
Total losses: 47 fighters, 11 bombers for the Allies and 45 fighters, 30 a/c on the ground for the Japanese.
My British BBTF that has been bombarding Dacca under regular hostile air counterstrikes for many weeks now, was completely unimpeded by enemy aircraft this time. It pulled off 3 bombardments, destroying 14 squads of infantry and 9 arty in total.
Akyab, Rangoon and especially Bangkok gained much bigger AZOC circles. I'm pretty sure some long-range naval bombers were transferred to these bases to deal with any British TFs I may possibly throw at the Japs. I should watch out.

DEI:
Flores finally falls to the Japanese. Occupation of the DEI is now complete.

Australia:
Cairns is finally taken over by Japanese troops. Cairns and Townsville now sport huge AZOC circles. G4 Betty nav bombers must be somewhere there and if they aren't, I'm sure they'll soon be.
Allies stage a few air raids on Japanese LCUs near Rockhampton. Only 2 enemy arty pieces are destroyed. I hoped it would be much more.

A 3-CV TF, a large Transport TF and 3 more TFs are spotted in the Coral Sea. Another large Jap Transport TF is spotted between Darwin and Port Moresby steaming at full speed in a southeastern direction.
Looks like an invasion of New Caledonia is in the works. Stay tuned.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

BTW, I've just noticed an asterisk near Zeke's Production Score. As it turns out it was hanging there for a month already, right since my submariners' last celebrations.
So Zeke is having oil problems. Good for me. Maybe this'll eventually slow down his naval juggernaut. (among other things)

This is good news indeed, for it means he's low on Preparation Points.

--Victor Hugo

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”