CmdOps.exe error anyone?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

decaro

CmdOps.exe error anyone?

Post by decaro »

Is anyone playing Com Ops with Windows 8.1 under the latest 4.6.279 build?

If so, have you experienced the following even with the 10 July 2014 HTTR data pack installed?

Does your game sometimes suddenly stop and give the following error message:

CmdOps.exe has stopped working and Windows will close the program and offer a possible solution (which it never does).

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
O.Schmidt

RE: CmdOps.exe error anyone?

Post by O.Schmidt »

Yes! when I start the game I have same time the same problem!
Use Win 8.1 de!
Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: O.Schmidt

Yes! when I start the game I have same time the same problem!
Use Win 8.1 de!

I have the same issue during gameplay with Win 8.1 running under the (recommended) Vista Service pack 2 compatibility.
Have you tried the compatibility trouble shooter and if so what are you running it under?

Dave had no problems running my one of my error saves under Win 7; maybe I need to switch compatibility to 7 despite the machine's recommendations?

Update: Win 7 compatibility mode doesn't work for 8.1 on the HttR scenarios.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I have avoided the "upgrade" to 8.1 having heard an awful lot of issues like this one, with many programs.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.
Joe,
On what basis do you draw this conclusion? Can you run the biggest BFTB scenarios right through without a crash?

I cannot readily see any particular difference that would cause HTTR scenarios to fail and not BFTB ones. The HTTR scenario you are playing though is a large scenario and if there were some memory issues with Win 8.1 than this may trigger a crash on a big scenario after a fair amount of game time. Can you please test this by running one of the larger BFTB scenarios. Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Mine runs fine on 8.1, even with very large scenarios, in HTTR and in BFTB. Touchwood no crashes like that yet.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Joe,
On what basis do you draw this conclusion? ...

Because I changed the compatibility to Win 7 on my machine and it didn't work for me.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

We need more info on this Joe, so please bear with me and answer these questions for me:

a) Where's Command Ops installed?
b) Do these crashes happen at some specific moment? Are they random?
c) Does this only happen with HttR scenarios?
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

We need more info on this Joe, so please bear with me and answer these questions for me:

a) Where's Command Ops installed?
b) Do these crashes happen at some specific moment? Are they random?
c) Does this only happen with HttR scenarios?

a) Matrix Game folder
b) Random, but reproducible
c) So far, only the HttR, but I haven't tested many of the larger scenarios under the new patch. The latest failure was Red Devils over Arnhem, which I recall failed after I saved the game and then reopened and ran it up to the morning of Day 4 when it repeatedly failed.

But this is interesting; in my game files, the HttR pack file has a date of 7-10-14, but when I go to the scenarios folder, although the date modified is 1-17-2014, when I open the HttR scenarios subfolder and examine the individual scenarios, they are all dated from 2011!

I had installed the HttR pack by downloading the zip file and then dragging it into the game folder and unzipping it.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

But this is interesting; in my game files, the HttR pack file has a date of 7-10-14, but when I go to the scenarios folder, although the date modified is 1-17-2014, when I open the HttR scenarios subfolder and examine the individual scenarios, they are all dated from 2011!

I had installed the HttR pack by downloading the zip file and then dragging it into the game folder and unzipping it.

All right, that totally looks as a cogent reason - your files didn't get overwritten for whatever the reason. The random crashes you get are because of the changes we made on the resolution of the grids the AI uses to reason about the relations between terrain and firepower, suitability for movement, etc. The old HttR files are out of sync with those changes and would cause the kind of errors you report (basically, the program is writing into memory locations it was supposed not to).

You really need to update those files - this looks to me as an issue of "Windows 8.1 being too clever for the user's good".
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

All right, that totally looks as a cogent reason - your files didn't get overwritten for whatever the reason ...

You really need to update those files ...

I thought I did that by unzipping the HttR support pack in the game folder; so exactly what do I do now?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Joe,

Move your old HTTR Scenario and map files out of the Cmd Ops directory - just move them somewhere else. You can ditch them later if the next step works. Now move the HTTR data pack zip file into the Cmd Ops directory. Unzip it and it should place all the new files within their respective sub directories. RUn the game. Load that save you sent me and see if it gets past that point where it crashes. If that is so, ditch all your old HHTR files that you previously moved.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
decaro

Post by decaro »

Joe,

Move your old HTTR Scenario and map files out of the Cmd Ops directory - just move them somewhere else. You can ditch them later if the next step works. Now move the HTTR data pack zip file into the Cmd Ops directory. Unzip it and it should place all the new files within their respective sub directories. RUn the game. Load that save you sent me and see if it gets past that point where it crashes. If that is so, ditch all your old HHTR files that you previously moved.

It delayed the crash for about an hour of gameplay, but it still crashed; I don't think it's placing the files in the correct subdirectories, or perhaps I'm using the wrong method to extract them with the 7-zip as there are several options given.

Can't I just rename the HttR_Pack to HttR Scenarios and place it into the scenario folder next to the BftB scenario folder?

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Joe,

Let's try this process then.

First, clear out any existing HTTR map from your Game/Map directory.

Second, delete your existing HTTR scenarios sub directory - ie the one at Game/Scenarios/HTTR Scenarios.

Third, check the root level of the Game/Scenarios directory and clear out any HTTR scenario that may reside there. There shouldn't be any there, but check anyway.

Fourth, unzip the data pack anywhere you like. Inside you should find two subdirectories called Maps and Scenarios. Nested under the Scenarios directory should be HTTR Scenarios.

Fifth, simply drag the set of map files from the Map dir of the data pack and drop them into your Game/Map directory. Note there are no subdirectories for maps. All maps are lumped together.

Sixth, drag the HTTR Scenarios dir from your data pack and drop it inside the Game/Scenarios directory. The Game/Scenarios directory does have sub directories for each of the data packs. By dragging and dropping the whole folder you will be moving the scenario files within it.

Is that clear enough? Try it and let me know.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
decaro

Post by decaro »

Joe,

Let's try this process then.

First, clear out any existing HTTR map from your Game/Map directory.

Second, delete your existing HTTR scenarios sub directory - ie the one at Game/Scenarios/HTTR Scenarios.

Third, check the root level of the Game/Scenarios directory and clear out any HTTR scenario that may reside there. There shouldn't be any there, but check anyway.

Fourth, unzip the data pack anywhere you like. Inside you should find two subdirectories called Maps and Scenarios. Nested under the Scenarios directory should be HTTR Scenarios.

Fifth, simply drag the set of map files from the Map dir of the data pack and drop them into your Game/Map directory. Note there are no subdirectories for maps. All maps are lumped together.

Sixth, drag the HTTR Scenarios dir from your data pack and drop it inside the Game/Scenarios directory. The Game/Scenarios directory does have sub directories for each of the data packs. By dragging and dropping the whole folder you will be moving the scenario files within it.

Is that clear enough? Try it and let me know.

So far, it appears to be working.
But I wonder why some 8.1 users had difficulty with this, or was the OS just a coincidence because the issue had more to due with the zip file?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I reckon the OS is a red herring.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
springel

Post by springel »

I run 8.1 and no crashes, but I always manually copy files and folders from within zip files to their destination, as I am always paranoia that unzipping will incorrectly include or exclude some top level folder.

While copying manually from the zipped folder, I get warnings that I am about to replace files an folder content, and that is the definite sign that all is going well :-)
Russki

Post by Russki »

Hi

I have just bought HTTR and Greece addons (yes I know I am a tight arse !)

Anyway...Greece instals and plays but HTTR crashes to desktop.

I have read through the work around instructions above but I do not have a zip file for HTTP - I have an installer

Do you have any suggestions how to get HTTR to work please

Not sure if any of this helps....I have: Win7 Pro 64 bit + Avira anti virus + EMET + Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Gigabyte motherboard Z77-HD3 ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series graphics card + all drivers up to date

regards

Mark
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi,

Have you registered your games yet in the members section of this site?? The updated .279 Greek and HTTR scenarios are posted there. Download the 2 zip files and extract to the appropriate BFTB folders.
Let the zip files overwrite what you have installed off the official expansion game packs.
Welcome aboard!

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Russki

Post by Russki »

Hi Rob and thanks for your welcome

After posting my issue I found the zip files on Matrix and have installed them as you suggested.
All seems to be working nicely.

I appreciate your help

regards

Mark

Return to “Command Ops Series”