Up and Coming

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Mad Russian

Up and Coming

Post by Mad Russian »

Does this look like a Black Panther?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2_Black_Panther

That looks like a really big shot trap under the gun to me.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
K2_black_panther3.jpg
K2_black_panther3.jpg (226.03 KiB) Viewed 127 times
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

RE: Up and Coming

Post by Mad Russian »

And this just in...

Relikt ERA was designed by the Russian army in response to the US M829A3 round. Relikt is the most modern Russian ERA, and is claimed to be twice as effective as Kontakt-5. It detonates on command before the round hits based on information from radar. It can be installed on T-72B and T-90 tanks and is being tested in the Leningrad Military District. As of 2013, only the T-72BM 'Rogatka' introduced in 2006 has Relikt ERA.[1] The Russian and Indian Army T-90AM Armada main battle tank (MBT), and the future Russian T-99 Universal Combat Platform will incorporate Relikt.

Good Hunting.

MR

IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

MR, I haven't kicked the road wheels on that puppy (obviously), but my guess is that the boxy parts on the front of the turret and gun mantlet are just that: boxes. Looks like they bolt on and contain smoke grenade launchers and sensors. Likely aluminum and provide protection for the sensors from small arms fire.

Can't say for sure, but I am thinking they'd have little impact on the effect of AP or HEAT rounds.

Very interesting, the missile approach warning system. Getting close to Hammer's Slammers, there.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

They claim the tank can track and engage targets without gunner input while on the move. That is some grav armor biz. [X(]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

Next they'll be telling us the software used to control everything is called skynet [;)]

Seems a lot of areas that could be damage for a soft kill
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

You don't need Skynet, just a friendly AI installed in your tank

Also made me think of this quote from Glengarry Glen Ross

"F*** YOU, that's my name!! You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an $80,000 BMW. That's my name!!"

Wonder how it stacks up vs a Leopard [:)]
Attachments
mkvcounterred.jpg
mkvcounterred.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 126 times
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Iron Mike Golf

MR, I haven't kicked the road wheels on that puppy (obviously), but my guess is that the boxy parts on the front of the turret and gun mantlet are just that: boxes. Looks like they bolt on and contain smoke grenade launchers and sensors. Likely aluminum and provide protection for the sensors from small arms fire.

Can't say for sure, but I am thinking they'd have little impact on the effect of AP or HEAT rounds.

Very interesting, the missile approach warning system. Getting close to Hammer's Slammers, there.

Yes, but what caught my eye was the way the turret sits up and isn't flush with the body. That caused a problem in the King Tiger. Could be one here as well. A shot that is a little low on the turret goes in under and will hit something. Maybe the top of the fighting compartment.

I just didn't think that looked like a good design when I saw it.

Good Hunting.

MR

IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Yes, but what caught my eye was the way the turret sits up and isn't flush with the body. That caused a problem in the King Tiger. Could be one here as well. A shot that is a little low on the turret goes in under and will hit something. Maybe the top of the fighting compartment.

I just didn't think that looked like a good design when I saw it.

Good Hunting.

MR

And the front surface of the turret looks like it might be nearly vertical.

Hey, is it on jack stands?

Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

They claim the tank can track and engage targets without gunner input while on the move. That is some grav armor biz. [X(]

About 20 years ago, while a Bradley Master Gunner for 1AD, I saw a bunch of info and video on a prototype tracking system like that for the M2/M3. It use pattern recognition and would auto track, even maintaining track if the target went behind cover (just kept the last known tracking rate and direction until you told it to dump track).
Jeff
Sua Sponte
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Why would the SKs not just but M-1s from the US? Would not that be more cost effective?
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I thinking because that one is better from a technology standpoint.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well since they invented and developed sloped armour first, seems they have forgotten all that they have teached the world looking at that tank, mind you they did say there next tank was going to be a drone anyway[X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
KageToraUK

Post by KageToraUK »

The German Panther tank in WW2 had sloped armour, at least on the turret.

Off-topic, but, one Russian commander at Kursk reported, "The Germans have a new type of tank. Using an anti-aircraft gun....."
jds1978

Post by jds1978 »

ORIGINAL: Swamp_Yankee

Why would the SKs not just but M-1s from the US? Would not that be more cost effective?

They have their own military-industrial complex to feed
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The Soviets produced the first tank with significantly sloped armor. It was the main thing that made the T-34 a revolutionary leap forward in tank design.

Good Hunting.

MR

IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Hammer's Slammers! I haven't thought about them for years but I should dig up my books and reread them or maybe get them again for my Kindle. That would be a fun read....

Thanks for mentioning, Rob
ORIGINAL: Iron Mike Golf

hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall

Hammer's Slammers! I haven't thought about them for years but I should dig up my books and reread them or maybe get them again for my Kindle. That would be a fun read....

I suggest The Complete Hammer's Slammers, volumes 1, 2, 3. They have most (possibly all) of the stories David Drake wrote.
There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”