Carrier Battles

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Retreat1970

Carrier Battles

Post by Retreat1970 »

Back in the day when all I did was play Space Empires IV, I played a mod for that game called Carrier battles by Suicide Junkie. Of course I had to make a loose representation of that for DW:U.

Is there any interest out there for such a thing? It mods DW:Extended so all races use fighters heavily. Needless to say it will grind weak PC's to dust.

I'll post it if there's interest, otherwise I'll keep it for myself.

Download in post # 10.

Attachments
Wallpaper21.jpg
Wallpaper21.jpg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Retreat1970

RE: Carrier Battles

Post by Retreat1970 »

Another screenie

Attachments
Wallpapersmall.jpg
Wallpapersmall.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Manningham

Post by Manningham »

YES!!
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Ha, that looks awesome:)
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

I have three races set-up to focus on Fighters in the AI Improvement Mod ... the Mortalen, Securans and Shander. Both with respect to Ship and Base Designs as well as Research orders. While some of the smaller ships use Missiles or Torpedoes (particularly when early in the tech tree) if you play through to the mid-game and late-game then the AI will primarily build larger ships that focus on Fighter Bays unlike default. I also found I had to buff the number of Fighters for Weapons Balancing.

From my testing the number of Fighters can get pretty huge, As you say it can also slow the game down a lot when you focus on major Fighter fleet engagements!
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Very Nice
Blueinstinct

Post by Blueinstinct »

YES YES YES :)

looks very nice and my PC should be able to run a fair ammount of fighters, so bring it on !
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

There is only one word for this, in the parlance of fighter pilots.

FURBALL!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Alright Let me tweak a few more things then I'll post the files. As it stands all races focus on fighters. At least partially. I'll also post the details sometime later today.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

ORIGINAL: Blueinstinct

YES YES YES :)

looks very nice and my PC should be able to run a fair ammount of fighters, so bring it on !

Be careful what you wish for :)
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

DW:Extended Carrier Battles Mod (all hail the great Extended mod [&o])

Installation: Option #1 copy files to Extended mod folder and overwrite (not recommended).
Option #2 Make a copy of Extended mod then overwrite files in new mod folder(better).
(I only zipped the modified files for size purposes.)

Changes:

Carrier Battles is a misnomer. It should be Fighter Battles but that sounds weak.
Fighter bay component sizes cut in half, house 6 fighters, and repair faster.
AI races adjusted to research fighters (they still use other weapon components but at least fighters is in the queue).
AI ship designs adjusted to carry fighter bays. Starting with Frigate class the AI will put fighter bays on ships (size allowed of course).
AI fleet composition slightly changed to add more carriers (all races).

Issues:

You are human. Therefore you understand the power of fighters. The AI does not.
Pirates tend to ignore what I told them to design. Probably my mistake somewhere.
Heavy battles will cripple your PC.

I doubt if I'll work on this more. It was something to pass the time until the better mod makers do their thing. Feel free to change this if you like it and make it better.
Attachments
DWExCB.zip
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

Return to “Design and Modding”