Adding new races equals new colony types?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

corwin90

Adding new races equals new colony types?

Post by corwin90 »

This is such a simple piece of information. But as a new player, I just didn't think about it. I was playing along as Humans (Continental Home World) in my game looking at two possible colony locations. Suddenly, those two circled systems become over a dozen!! Earlier in my game, I'd stumbled upon a refugee fleet and inherited a volcanic world colony ship. I thought the same thing had happened here. I looked through all my ships but couldn't find the desert colony ship. It wasn't until I clicked on one of the desert worlds that I saw the little tip saying I could colonize it with a different race in my empire. It was at that moment I realized that a desert colony had just crossed the magical 500 million and could build and send a colony ship containing that race. Woohoo!

Sadly, the colony construction speed with only 500M people is only about 140%. However, three years later, I had a colony ship to use for colonizing a Korabban Spice planet. Hurray!!

I just spied an independent colony on an ice planet. I'm racing to add them to my empire. I almost researched Desert Colonization before my Desert colony built its first colony ship. Ice colonization is so much further down the three. I'd guess I'll get my Ice Colony to 500M and build a colony ship long before I research that tech.

I wonder if we might suggest an event for the history log that displays when a colony world with a new race type hits 500M? I started to submit a bug report before I figured it out.
Shark7

RE: Adding new races equals new colony types?

Post by Shark7 »

If you obtain any species as part of your empire that has a different preferred home planet and you have more than 200 million of them on a planet (or a refugee fleet of them) then you gain access to the new races home colony type. Meaning you expand your colonizable planets based on the new race. You still need to do the research for your own race to colonize these planets though.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”