How do WITP and WITP:AE differ?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Pariah

How do WITP and WITP:AE differ?

Post by Pariah »

Can someone please tell me the difference between these two games.

WITP:AE has been recommended a few times to me. I just want to know what the difference between AE and the original.

As always...
[center]
Before all else, be armed.

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

Terminus

RE: How do WITP and WITP:AE differ?

Post by Terminus »

Maybe go ask that in the AE forum?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Or just wait for the members who have been so helpful with my other questions....[8|]
[center]

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Terminus is correct. WitP has a very active forum even to this date and is filled with many helpful participants. One of the most obvious changes is the difference in scale.

Be warned, WitP is a huge game and very arcane to me. I never did grasp what it was I was supposed to be doing and the amount of time/clicks it takes to accomplish what is a simple task in other games put me off. Others will state that is the draw for them though so your mileage may vary. But my biggest problem was that I have a very limited understanding of naval warfare. i.e. How to utilize the ships, how much time it should take to do various things etc. That and the massive amount of micromanagement and odd abstractions. You can't target specific fleets but you set the flight altitude. Seems odd.

mo reb

Dang, 2 months since I last posted. Been having a great summer in the deep woods.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
berto

Post by berto »

Sorry, I agree with Terminus. This is a FAQ frequently discussed and fully answered in the WITP:AE Forum. (Probably also in the WITP Forum.) Just search through older threads there. You'll be sure to find it.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Maybe go ask that in the AE forum?
+1
witp-ae is more of a 'modus vivendi' than just a 'game' -
you will definitely get a much more throughout answer to this question of the ae-forum!
...and more... [/b][:D]

I left out the and more part. Didnt want to scare the poor guy.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I think I will give this one a wait. I do not want to shell out almost a 100$ for something I may not enjoy.

But, the way people talk about it sounds so enticing.
[center]

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Pariah

I think I will give this one a wait. I do not want to shell out almost a 100$ for something I may not enjoy.

If you wanted to get a feel for what WitP is similar to you could purchase Uncommon Valor for $20. It was the original of the series with a very limited operation. So much has improved since then (massively) but you do get a sense for how the game plays without shelling out so much. Maybe im wrong there and others will chime in.

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/216/

mo reb
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

There are two differences between AE and vanilla WIP - scale AE is 40 miles/hex and WIP is 70 or something like that. The other is AE costs $79 (worth it IMO) and WIP (at least the original version) can be had for free from Matix. FWIW getting the free edition might not b a bad idea. I remember playing it back in the 90's and unless you're a spreadsheet kind of player who gets way way down into the weeds it really isn't that much different IMO - (I'll probably get handed my head for saying that but...

That said:

Many if not most of the AE forum participants are heavily into PBEM. Almost universally they will tell you the PBEM experience can't be beat and that though the AI is a good tool for learning you'll never fully appreciate the AE experience without playing against a person.

AE PBEM takes a real commitment too. Games can easily last a year (that's a real year - not a game year) and I've read that some that last 3 years.

AE does have two shorter scenarios both of which I have found to be a great deal of fun and take just a few hours of time if you play like me. If you want a taste of AE you might want to try Uncommon Valor (if Matrix still sells it) as it is a prequel to AE.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

War in the Pacific is not free - it's cheaper than Admirals' Edition, but not free.
Pacific War is free, but much older.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

If you wanted to get a feel for what WitP is similar to you could purchase Uncommon Valor for $20. It was the original of the series with a very limited operation. So much has improved since then (massively) but you do get a sense for how the game plays without shelling out so much. Maybe im wrong there and others will chime in.

mo reb

Uncommon Valor to WitP: AE is a child's tricycle to a Bugatti Weyron. It can teach very, very little.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

mo reb

Uncommon Valor to WitP: AE is a child's tricycle to a Bugatti Weyron. It can teach very, very little.

Without knowing what a Bugatti Weyron is, I respectfully disagree. The feel is very similar in how troops load, Task Forces operate, squadrons fly out and their targeting, turns process, the support required etc.. I'd say they are more like a Big Wheel and a Green Machine. The latter has more controls, longer rake, turns better, but you lose the basket and it's low profile leaves you more susceptible to getting run over by a Bugatti Weyron.

EDIT: Just looked it up. I wasnt aware that they started making the Edsel again. [:D]

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Its Veyron not Weyron. Basically it is a fast expensive car. I understand the analogy all the same.

So, there really is not a way to see if I would like the game without risking almost 100$? That is a bit of a drag.
Maybe one day.
[center]

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

british exil

Post by british exil »

Video is a bit old, but you can get a glimpse of what might be in store for you. It might help you.

It is not mine, just found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFi-qRA49o

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Video is a bit old, but you can get a glimpse of what might be in store for you. It might help you.

It is not mine, just found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFi-qRA49o

Mat

Ahh, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
[center]

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I bought WitP under the at the time VERY dumb belief that it would adequately replace my need to find space for playing my Pacific War board game.

The simple truth is I should have kept the board game, and settled for being miserable I couldn't find space for it, because WitP is a game that simply takes too much time and effort to play on a computer.

But your opinion may vary.

Personally, I'd rather do the towns income taxes for free instead of playing my copy of WitP.

I'd sell the serial for it in a heart beat for 40 bucks if it was something that could be realistically done. I'd rather have any of quite a few other computer wargames instead.

It will remain as one of my dumbest impulsive purchases. I am not saying it is a bad program, I am saying it was a bad idea. The software though is fine as software goes.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I bought WitP under the at the time VERY dumb belief that it would adequately replace my need to find space for playing my Pacific War board game.

The simple truth is I should have kept the board game, and settled for being miserable I couldn't find space for it, because WitP is a game that simply takes too much time and effort to play on a computer.

But your opinion may vary.

Personally, I'd rather do the towns income taxes for free instead of playing my copy of WitP.

I'd sell the serial for it in a heart beat for 40 bucks if it was something that could be realistically done. I'd rather have any of quite a few other computer wargames instead.

It will remain as one of my dumbest impulsive purchases. I am not saying it is a bad program, I am saying it was a bad idea. The software though is fine as software goes.

Honestly, your opinions and suggestions have been pretty spot on for me. So, I think I will just stay away from it. I am going to get TOAW3 fore sure now and hopefully it hold my attention better than Panzer Corps. I am already bored with its simplicity. Not that I won't play it through the campaigns or anything. It is just too basic for me (but, that IS what I was asking for). Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is on my radar right now.
[center]

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I'd beg to differ - it teaches the player:

1. Basic controls for LCU, bases, air groups, TFs
2. How to convoy supplies from rear areas to forward areas
3. How to coordinate LCUs, air groups and TFs together to form a single cohesive operation
4. How to manage pilot fatigue in air groups

Admittedly, the lack of altitude consideration, individual carrier sortie counts, production stats and infinite supplies on the home bases might teach some bad habits, but if you can complete a campaign of Uncommon Valor, you can take the same basic principles all the way to a game of WITP:AE as the Allies (and win against the AI).

WITP just expands the scope, the tasks and the time and effort investment with regards to the UI by several orders of magnitude, but the key concepts are all the same. The most substantive difference I would grant is that the player has to decide which assets go to which sector, since Uncommon Valor gives that to the player "for free"

Return to “General Discussion”