What to do with lone space ports?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Skasski

What to do with lone space ports?

Post by Skasski »

This is about space ports that do not belong to a planet.

What are your criteria to decide what to do with a space port?

If you decide to tear it down, is there anything you do before scrapping?
Idea: Check storage and construct ships to use up resources.

Is there a way to deconstruct them without scrapping them, or to make use of their advanced technology similar to retiring ships?

I just acquired an abandoned base in no-man's-land with a nice amount of resources on board. It's pretty much on the edge of the galaxy, in a nebula that blocks hyperdrive. I am thinking about scrapping it and wonder if there's a way to retrieve the resources on board while avoiding resource deliveries towards the station.
Nanaki

RE: What to do with lone space ports?

Post by Nanaki »

Nope. It is a pity we cannot pack up those stations and move them to somewhere less... middle of nowhere.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Radishgast

Post by Radishgast »

Or at least be able to send a construction ship to disassemble them for tech like abandoned ships.
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

I just scrap found space ports if I am playing an empire. I don't want resources being shipped there or ships going there and I definitely don't want ships being constructed there. It's always better if the port is at a colony. Monitor stations and mines are fine with me though.

As a pirate, well it depends on the location and situation.

In any case I don't worry about any tech or resources that could be gotten from it. It's not enough to be worried about it if it was possible. I do retire found and captured ships though.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

It depends on the state of my game but usually I will build new ships to use as many of the resources as I can, and then as soon as they are finished scrap the base. This assumes I have funds and can make use of the new ships. Otherwise I will just scrap. Be careful when building ships that you have ALL the resources (probably including fuel...but they will build fine without this being delivered, just they will take ages to get anywhere) needed for them on board or you could wait for a very long time.
spinkick

Post by spinkick »

it depends. I've found an advanced station with long range scanners and stealth technology that is kind of nice..
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

The problem is that those stations are usually in the middle of deep space, you have to ship resources to them and they provide absolutly nothing, theres nothing there for them to defend, theres no resources there, and all the while you are paying the maintenance costs and having your freighters send resources that way.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

The Bases with the ships around them, I use to deconstruct the ships for tech and then scrap the base.

The only found bases I consider keeping are those that could operate as a front line refuel or repair site. Even then they usually are more trouble than they are worth.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Giving them to AI empires does wonders for your diplomatic relations...and sticks the burden of stocking the thing on them. Yes I'm that devious of an Emperor. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”