Weapons Balancing

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

buglepong

RE: Weapons Balancing

Post by buglepong »

No, you can play what you like for a change. At least if every weapon has a different character, itll be more interesting. I would say that even now some weapons are too similar, some are just plain crap and the different branches of middle tier weapons are done in the worst way possible (more range or more firepower, but end up with one endgame route anyway)
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Werewolf, don’t confuse balance with making every weapon equal … they aren’t … nor do I want to make them equal. The weapons retain their strengths and weaknesses. Some weapons give you an advantage early game, some weapons give an advantage late game and so on. Strategy differs depending on the weapon. The intent here is to ensure all of the weapons are competitive and have a clear role in the game.

The weapon that I’ve used in almost every game is the Torpedo as it was often superior. My mental model was “Why would I play using weapons that are inferior almost immediately?”.

As a result of the testing and the changes already made in the AI Improvement Mod I’m really enjoying using a variety of weapons in-game. I have a renewed respect for Missiles, even without any changes to damage. Beams with the right tactic are far more lethal. Rail Guns and Phasers become worth playing again. A Missile/Fighter/Missile Bomber focused race is interesting to play.

The benefit is not just for the human player. The AI races use a lot of Beams and Torpedoes. In the AI Improvement Mod I’ve added a lot more variety in Weapons between the races which you will see in-game. You won’t be laughing so hard when you see ships with Rail Guns, because the weapon damage is improved so that it doesn’t become inferior quite so quickly, the AI research is focused and the AI ship designs are far larger and optimised for that weapon particularly as the game develops. I don’t recall ever seeing Gravitic Singularity weapons in-game, but now you will. No default race has a focus on Missiles/Fighters/Missile Bombers, but now some do. All races with a special weapon will focus on that special weapon.

In short, the only reason I’m doing any of this is to make the game more interesting and fun.
Rhikore

Post by Rhikore »

Lol, Ice, I almost made that post for you [:'(]
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

So... maybe a bit premature to ask, but how about a hyperdrive/reactor/fuel/etc. balance mod? Locarnus' approach was not really my cup of tea because of all the added techs. I just want the existing options to make a bit more sense (especially reducing the range of the gerax hyperdrive compared to the warp bubbles)
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Go for it hewwo.
Franky007

Post by Franky007 »

Icemania you could use the mod Energy Techtree Rebalanced v0.1.
I use it in my mod, and i find that it reduce the hyperdrive just fine.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

How would it be used to improve the AI? It seems outside of the scope of the mod.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Ha, yeah I know I should be doing some modding myself instead of just moaning about it on the forums, but I'm currently doing a six month stint at tokyo university for my PhD, and I just really can't get myself to spend time behind my laptop when I really should be out exploring weird Japanese things :)

However, I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Japan rocks. Literally. Make you sure get that "nothing happened" look down pat during earthquakes so you don't look like a tourist. Of course, that composure won't help when the kids come along. A quote from our last holiday in Japan: "Dad, the world is ending, ahhhhh!" ...

Anyway we digress.

lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: hewwo

So... maybe a bit premature to ask, but how about a hyperdrive/reactor/fuel/etc. balance mod? Locarnus' approach was not really my cup of tea because of all the added techs. I just want the existing options to make a bit more sense (especially reducing the range of the gerax hyperdrive compared to the warp bubbles)

Did you take a look at my slow gamestart mod? It does exactly that, I nerved both range and speed of Gerax and made it more expensive. Since warp bubble is now longer in use it's a bit better than vanilla.

You can find it here: matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3632884

lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Ha, yeah I know I should be doing some modding myself instead of just moaning about it on the forums, but I'm currently doing a six month stint at tokyo university for my PhD, and I just really can't get myself to spend time behind my laptop when I really should be out exploring weird Japanese things :)

However, I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!

Japan? Cool, one day I'd like to visit Tokyo myself. Have fun!
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Thanks, I'll check that out:)

Yeah the earthquakes are a bit unnerving. Fortunately they're mostly at night so people won't see my cowardly shivers!
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Edit: Oops posted in wrong thread :P
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Great stuff Icemania is this being added to your AI improvement mod or will this be a separate mod? Also I agree with needing changes to engine range will this be included as well?
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: lurchi

Did you take a look at my slow gamestart mod? It does exactly that, I nerved both range and speed of Gerax and made it more expensive. Since warp bubble is now longer in use it's a bit better than vanilla.

You can find it here: matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3632884

This is great but it is not merged with the AI improvement mod and can't be combined :(
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
Great stuff Icemania is this being added to your AI improvement mod or will this be a separate mod? Also I agree with needing changes to engine range will this be included as well?
Yes the conclusions in the OP were applied to the AI Improvement Mod. The testing was done using the optimised designs from the AI Improvement Mod.

Once lurchi and gang deliver a new tech tree in the Research Reloaded Mod, I've volunteered to help out and apply the AI Improvement Mod to it.
spiralaxis

Post by spiralaxis »

Question: I don't have the tech tree or galactopedia in front of me, but is there a weapon that's designed to primarily damage shields? If not, it seems like a hole that should be plugged. +50% vs shields, -50% vs armour, very short range and either energy- or space- intensive.

It would allow for specialized shield-buster/hijacking ship with less chance of blowing up your target.

Ionized flak cannon, requires railguns and ion weapons...?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Probably one for lurchi and team to consider. I do like the idea of having a weapon combo that works well with Assault Pods.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

I'm starting to extend the AI Improvement Mod to Extended.

For those that play routinely with Stinger Beams, Paratis Hammerheads and Wyrm Fighters/Bombers, how do you think they stack up?

As Phaser Lances were buffed 20%, I'm considered a similar change to Stinger Beams.

Since Fighter Bays were increased in capacity from 4 to 6, I'm considered a similar change to the All Dimension Fighter Bay.

Any views on Graviton Beams and Area Gravity Weapons balancing?

For those that are playing the AI Improvement Mod, which uses the changes listed in the OP, what are your views on how they are going?
Rhikore

Post by Rhikore »

Hey Ice, did you ever get around to my earlier queries? Pods/Fighters, etc?
On a side note, I was thinking that it would be awesome to get a Skype/Vent Co-Op Modding server/group going.
Im still getting around to my races, but my complete list of to-dos is a plateful. A Franken-mod if you will.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”