Device and TOE upgrades, want to undestand how they work.

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cplprice

Device and TOE upgrades, want to undestand how they work.

Post by cplprice »

Trying my hand at modding and have some questions on how TOE and Device upgrades work.
-It is my understanding that if a device is set to upgrade to another device, then as that device becomes available, units set to accept replacements will automatically upgrade to the new device. Is this true?
An example: The Japanese have the Type 94 37mm ATG, the Type 01 37mm ATG and the Type 01 47mm ATG. If I set the Type 94 to upgrade to the Type 01 37, and set the Type 01 37 to upgrade to the Type 01 47, whenever I take replacements, once the next weapon is available, it will upgrade. The old devices are not returned to the pool but armament points equal to the old devices load cost are returned to the armament point pool. So if at some point during the game I take replacements for all my units containing one of these devices, eventually there would be no more Type 94 or Type 01 37mm's in my units.
If I use the TOE to make the changes and do not have the devices set to upgrade, I can upgrade to the newer gun as and when I choose. Is this correct?
What I'm trying to do is allow units that I will be moving to face western units to upgrade to the Type 01 47mm and retain the Type 94 or Type 01 37mm's in my units assigned to China, where the armor threat is weak. So if I'm transferring a unit from China that has the 37mm and I want to send it to an area where it will face western forces, I'd just upgrade the TOE to one containing the 47mm. Are the old devices returned to the weapons pool? or are they also turned into armaments points? I hope they are returned to the pool, so they can be reused as replacements for units that still use them. All clarification will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Spidery

RE: Device and TOE upgrades, want to undestand how they work.

Post by Spidery »

Depends whether you are playing with the beta or not since the beta makes some changes.

With the beta, to upgrade and/or take replacements are separate choices.

When a device upgrades the old devices are added to the pool.

With the beta, 6 months after their end date that they will start being removed from the pool and their constituent armament/vehicle/manpower returned to the pools (for the Japanese).

This is for non-squad devices, squad devices are automatically upgraded when returned to the pool.
cplprice

Post by cplprice »

Thank you. Need to upgrade to the latest Beta I guess.
traskott

Post by traskott »

How it works with the allied side? If the TOE of a LCU includes one device which can be obsoleted (i.e.: IFV(heavy)), but there is no TOE upgrade reflecting the new "toy" ( ie:matilda ), would the LCU remain with the old device all the campaign ?

Thanks.

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

TOE upgrades do not replace supernumerary devices.  They remain until attritted down to zero.

Alfred
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: traskott

How it works with the allied side? If the TOE of a LCU includes one device which can be obsoleted (i.e.: IFV(heavy)), but there is no TOE upgrade reflecting the new "toy" ( ie:matilda ), would the LCU remain with the old device all the campaign ?

Thanks.

I noticed that often you can't see the new device when you look in the TOE upgrade screen of the unit.
I.E. IFV seems to remain IFV forever...
BUT
As the new device (i.e. Matilda) becomes available 'cause you reach the starting date production, magically aside of IFV, in unit TOE, appears the symbol = and you can upgrade to matilda.
Blizzard
traskott

Post by traskott »

Thaks. I will keep an eye on the LCU to see the results.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”