Question w/ regard to German 2nd Army

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Champagne

Question w/ regard to German 2nd Army

Post by Champagne »

The German 2nd Army arrives in 1941 completely without any SUs for the Army or subordinate Corps HQs.

Does anybody know why? Did this Army arrive without any heavy artillery at any of the Corps? No Pioneers at Corps HQ?

Thanks.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
carlkay58

RE: Question w/ regard to German 2nd Army

Post by carlkay58 »

I believe (which may easily be wrong) that its assets were being used in the front lines by other armies. Essentially it was transferring to the Eastern front and the portions that were ready were re-assigned to other units for the opening phases of Barbarossa. Those assets were transferred back after the arrival of the rest of the army to the front.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Thanks for the info. I can't find anything further on this topic.

Maybe somebody involved in creating or developing the game will have more information.

-- Plato
morvael

Post by morvael »

You could open later campaign scenario (for example '42 campaign) and compare support units of 2nd Army and it's attached Corps with units existing in '41 campaign. If most of these would exist in '41 scenario or listed as reinforcements you would be able to prove (or disprove if they would be missing) what carlkay58 said.
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: Champagne

The German 2nd Army arrives in 1941 completely without any SUs for the Army or subordinate Corps HQs.

Does anybody know why? Did this Army arrive without any heavy artillery at any of the Corps? No Pioneers at Corps HQ?

Thanks.

This is correct according to Niehorster, though the Security Division should show up somewhere.

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany ... my_02.html
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Thanks to both for the great suggestions and information.

The Niehorster OOB chart indicates that the 109th Heavy Artillery Regiment was attached to the Second Army, but, that might have simply been the cadre and command components of that German Heavy Artillery Regiment.

-- Plato
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: Champagne

Thanks to both for the great suggestions and information.

The Niehorster OOB chart indicates that the 109th Heavy Artillery Regiment was attached to the Second Army, but, that might have simply been the cadre and command components of that German Heavy Artillery Regiment.

If you click on the symbols button you will see that the signature indicates a pure HQ formation.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Yes, you are quite right. I thought that the heavy line in the symbol represented heavy artillery, but, it is indeed the HQ elements of the 109th FA Regiment.

I did as morvael suggested and this indicates that carlkay58 is correct. The SUs provided to 2nd Army at the front were previously assigned to other Armies of Army Group Center, and were present for front line duty on 22 June 1941.

This is a fascinating historical piece of info of which I was unaware.

Thanks to all.

-- Plato

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”