WITE under wineskin

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

governato

WITE under wineskin

Post by governato »

Has anybody had any luck at installing WITE with WINESKIN under Mac OS X or Linux?

My install starts fine (I removed the intro movies) but then crashes once at the menu. I suspect some problem with the sound files as it is often the case, but maybe somebody has been more successful? Help appreciated.
morvael

RE: WITE under wineskin

Post by morvael »

I managed to run WitE under Linux Mint 17 running inside VMPlayer using commercial version of Wine (CodeWeavers). Quite complicated, I know. However, due to incorrect headers in Jison's graphics they were no longer transparent where needed, and this caused many graphical glitches (like black map whenever the game tried to display weather graphics on hexes or empty minimap). I had to use Paint.NET to open and re-save worst offenders to get the mod working. Maybe the original graphics work properly. Maybe when running on a normal hardware rather than inside an emulator the graphics work properly. Other than that I was able to play the game normally.

edit: and the fonts looks a bit different, even though I downloaded "MS Font Pack" or something like that. Everyone will be able to tell

Attachments
wite_mint2.jpg
wite_mint2.jpg (313.79 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”