This will End Badly Rook749 vs AirGriff

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

rook749

RE: This will End Badly Rook749 vs AirGriff

Post by rook749 »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

He might have been taking it out via submarine transport and this was the last element left to be picked up?

I figure that is the most likely case, but the unit could have been coming in via air transport instead of leaving by sub (don't think this is the case).

We will see next turn though :)
rook749

Post by rook749 »

28 June 42 - 29 June 42 Executive Summary

He continues to clean up the Philippines and the NEI. The air war over Tulagi continues with the losses still favoring. The smaller variant of
Operation Honeycomb lands and appears to be the only units in the hex after the air bombardment cleans out a small SNLF. The supplies from the invasion force will unload in one day and then the transports will fall back to Christmas Island.

Raiding
Sub attack near Baker Island SS RO-61, hits 3 vs CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
ASW attack near Baker Island SS RO-61, hits 8, heavy damage vs Force Z
TF 137 encounters mine field at Fanning Island SSX Ha-6, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

Fleet of Doom
USN CAR DIV 1 (Hornet), USN CAR DIV 2 (Yorktown), CAR DIV 3 (Enterprise), CAR Div 4 (Wasp) Force H (Illustrious and Formidable), Force Z (Repulse and North Carolina) are supporting the Baker Island Landing. CAR DIV 3 will head home for repair and upgrade, while its a risk he could try an intercept from Truk at flank speed, the Enterprise will make its way directly to Pearl.

The USN 1st Bat Div (Maryland, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Warspite) are in route now to Luganville to support operations in the SWPAC area. I should have enough fuel to support these ships as there is not much else in the area.

Lexington and Saratoga in for their June Upgrades (15 days left). The Yorktown, Enterprise and Hornet have been upgraded to TBF-1 Avengers. All carrier pilots (minus Lexington and Saratoga) have been swapped around this now allows for all both these carriers to have pilots will primary skill at or above 70. Experience for Fighter units is above 70, for DB/TBs it averages a little over 60. The Hornet and Yorktown Marine ACUs are using F4F-3s and the Enterprise Marine ACU is using the F4F-4. The Lexington and Saratgoa air groups are training pilots like mad, I should have enough 70 skills pilots to outfit these air groups outside of the TBs. I have two full PBY groups training the NavT skill (as of 12/08/41) but I don't think I will catch up in the next 17 days.

Mini-Doom
The small CVE fleet, in two separate taffys has been formed. Currently it comprises the Long Island with 17 Marine F2A-3 Buffalo fighters (speed 16) in one. The second one contains the CVL Hermes (speed 25) with 20 Sea Hurricane Ib. Both of these are following the Baker Island landing force.

KB and Mini-KB
Location Unknown at this time, and they could be anywhere. Two CVE/CVLs are reported are supporting the Timor landings. One the 25th of June two CV's returning from his North Pacific landings were spotted eight hexes from Wake (assume going to Truck). Assuming the KB is in Truck at this time.

Java
At Batavia was bombarded the other two days. This does not look good at all but will hold int the first week of July.

China
He has continued to bombard from the ground at Wenchow to work to burn off my supplies and damage the airfield, supplies stand at 1.7K (rising). We also have 32K troops in the max stacking of 40K. Two Chines ACU's (I-15s and P-43-1) were mauled by 60+ Oscar Fighters and will withdraw to regroup.

His army is also prepping for a 42/43 offensive once Wenchow falls. Moving units to hold the areas he is prepping to attack and protect against any Flanking maneuvers. Targets he is prepping for are: Sian, Wuchow, Changsha and Chenchow.

Burma
There was no air action over Rangoon. Intel Monkey shows the 55th Infantry Bde, 33rd Division, 204th Ship Eng Coy, 21st Med FA Bn, 15th Army, 55th Eng Reg, 112th Infantry Reg and 14th Ind. Art. Mortar Bn prepping for Rangoon.

At Rangoon to oppose them I have the 1st Burma Infantry Division, the 17th Indian Infantry Division, three Burma Infantry Bn, three base force Bn, the Burma Corps HQc, 26K of Supplies, Fort 5-50%, one P-40E ACU, three British fighter ACUs and one small Lysander II Recon unit. There are four HDML's to provide bombardment cover.

At Mandalay there are 32K of supplies, three poorly equipped Indian Armored Cav Rgts, the 7th Armored Bde, three Burma Infantry Bn, two base force and Forts 3 - 94%. There is one Burma Inf Bn and one Burma Inf Bde that will fall back from the front to support Mandalay as needed. May need to fall back to India as supplies run out if he grabs Ceylon and prevents any sea supply, as the British Fleet Carriers are with the Fleet of Doom on the other side of the map.

At Port Blair there are four HDML, 1 ACM, 148 mines, 2 Base Forces and the 45th Indian Bde, 47K of Supplies and Fort 3-72%. All land units are 100% prep'd and the leader of the 45ht has been upgraded.

He now holds Pegu (I did not defend it) recon shows only thirteen units there but the Lysanders just arrived so we will have more details next turn (i hope). I have the slow British force built around four BBs in route from Celyon to bombard Moulmein as there appears to be land based fighters in the hex.

Operation Apple Jacks
One day late and a dollar short, so it is now a battle of attrition to regain Ndeni. The goal is to turn this into a front where we can bring the same amount or more force into play and drain him of planes, supplies and pilots. I want to see if I can use up my current model airplanes before they cannot be used on the front lines in early 1943.

At Vanikoro is a Port level 1, the Airfield 4-04% and the Fort 3-29%, 12 PT Boats and one AGP. Looking to scrounge up an ACM and 150 mines. The 1st Marine Raider Bn and the 8th Marine Def Bn, 1st US Naval Construction Bn , 13th MAG HQ, 2nd USMC Parachute Bn, 2/7 Commando Bn and the Del Monte AAF Base Force are at this location. There is one P-39D ACU, two A-24 ACUs, one F4F-3P ACU, one F2A-2 Buffalo ACU, one F4F-3A Wildcat, one SB2U-3 Vindicator and one PBY-5 ACU located at this base.

Luganville is safe with Forts Level 3, Airfield 6-54% two CD LCUs, one ACM, the 2nd Marine Divion + a lot of friends, 148 mines and six crappy DDs + the CA Chester. If I can come up with the PT boats I will also add some here but this may take a while as I have a bunch of them in the Line Islands. The island has 284 Aviation Support and one Air HQ. Five B-17E ACUs and one B-17D ACU ready to bomb the Level 2 Airfield at Tulagi (there is one LB-30 ACU that can also hit Tulagi from Noumea). The Airfield will expand to the needed level eight in the next ten to 15 days, at this point we will resume bombing Tulagi.

In the next 30 days or sooner the following will occur to support the advance on Ndeni in Phase 2:
1) The medium range bombers from Pago Pago will deploy to Lugnaville to smash the airfields or Ports that are built on Ndeni, as air field space is created.
2) The 1st Marine Division, 641st Towed TD Bn, 1 USMC Parachute BN and one FA BN that are now prepping for Ndeni (26% and counting) based at Suva.
3) A trickle down of fighters to the four Marine ACUs at Pago Pago has started. As ACUs with the F2A-2 Buffalo's are filled out they will be added to the air war over the Santa Cruz Islands.
4) There are two US 25 Figher ACU's located at Suva and Pago Pago that can be rotated in as needed for air cover --- along with four 25 Fighter ACU's located at Noumea.

The needed lift is in place in Suva, waiting for the USN 1st Bat Div to arrive to provide surface cover.

Operation Honeycomb
This operation is now underway. For a reserve landing we have the 40th US Infantry Division, 110th Combat Engr Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 223rd FA Bn will attack Baker Island from Christmas Island as a second force if needed. All units are prepping and are around 100%. The needed lift is at the island just waiting to see if the smaller landing below works as the island is reported as empty.

A small landing force of one base group is and one aviation Eng Bn in on Baker Island, my Intel shows the hex to be unoccupied so I am going for a quick grab. May get this on the cheap, we will see if the hex changes next turn. The Fleet of Doom and Mini-Doom will cover this landing. If it fails/or is called off we will move in with the larger landing.

Operation Mr. T
The retaking of the Ellice Islands: Vaitupu and Funafuti. Allied high command wants to make sure we keep the pressure on him from both the Southwest and Central Pacific. I think I am going to fall into a very historical Left-Right attack along the MacArthur and Nimitz lines of advance.

From Nadi the 4 FA Bn, 32nd Infantry Div and the 192nd Tank Bn will attack Funafuti, preparation in the mid 40’s. The 754th Tank Bn, Americal Inf Div and the 205th FA Bn will attack from Koumac and take Vaitupu - ~50% prepped and climbing.

Operation Cookie-Crisp
The landing at Tabiteuea and Tarawa. Forces will stage from Pearl will take these islands. At this point it is just planning and prepping. I don’t expect to be able to do this until all the carriers have completed their upgrades.

For Tabiteuea the 27th Infantry Division, the 181st FA Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 134th Cmbt Engr Bn are all prepping for this in the mid-40s.

For Tarawa the 21st Infantry Rgt (Restricted), 34th Infantry Rgt and the 34th Combat Engr Rgt are all prepping in the mid-30’s.

Operation Super Golden Crisp

Given he now controls Attu as of June 20th 1942, I have decided on an operation to evict him as quickly as possible before the winter sets in. The main purpose of this is more maskirovka than anything else. I want AirGriff to feel threatened in the north in the hopes he starts diverting resources and units to the defensive line in the Kurile's.

The 3rd Marine Division has arrived in San Diego. This unit will move to Seattle and start prepping for the landing of this island right away. I may need to scrounge up some additional forces depending on what we find that is guarding the base. The 3rd Marine Division will be paired with the landing ships from the Baker Island campaign and the will move to Dutch Harbor for staging. The Fleet of Doom will support the landing from Pearl Harbor to make as much noise as possible.

There is one O-47 Recon ACU now in route to help collect inelegance on the defenses.

1. The 14th and 16th Canadian Inf Bde are prepping to retake the island, both these units are in Los Angeles and are still restricted.
2. At Anchorage we have one B-17E ACU, one B-25B ACU and one C-47 ACU.
3. ComAirNoPac HQ-A will relocate from Anchorage to Dutch Harbor and then to Adak.
4. Move two AA units to Adak.
5. Add ACM and 150 mines to Adak.

Amchitka:
Port 1, Airfield 2(4)-95%, Fort 3(9)-43% and Supplies 14K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group, US Sep Inf Reg and CD Art Bn. There is one and a P-40E ACU operating out of this base.

Adak Island:
Port 2, Airfield 2(4)-28%, Fort 3(9)-59% and Supplies 26K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group and two Canadian Inf Bn.

Ulak Island:
Port 1, Airfield 0(2), Fort 0(6)-70% and Supplies 1K. One Canadian Inf Bn and one USA FA Bn in route.

Dutch Harbor:
Port 5(3)-10%, Airfield 1(0)-02%, Fort 4(9)-40%, Supplies 80K and Fuel 27K. Units defending three Cst AA Rgt's, one FA Bn, one CD Art Bn, one USN Base Force, two Const Rgt, one Aviation Engr Bn, one Port Maint Engr Bn, the North Pacific HQ and one USA Sep Inf Reg.
There is one PBY ACU operating out this base. Working there are three ACMs at Dutch Harbor and I will deploy 150 mines to help hold the island and keeps subs out of the port. There are two AO, two KVs and one AKE in the port to support the forward fleet.

Japanese Amphibious Landings:
Amphibious Assault at Pamekasan (57,105)

Japan Conquerors the Following Bases:
Koepang

Allies Amphibious Landings:
Amphibious Assault at Baker Island (149,136)

Allies Conquerors the Following Bases:
None.

Attachments
BI.jpg
BI.jpg (256 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

I suspect the air war in Burma will kick into high gear this turn or next? Should I be aiming for a 1:1 exchange rate, 3:2 in his favor or something better?
rook749

Post by rook749 »

30 June 42 - 01 July 42 Executive Summary

He continues to clean up the Philippines and the NEI. The air war over Tulagi continues with the losses still favoring. The smaller variant of Operation Honeycomb fails and packs up, so I learned my lesson and will bring the big stuff in ten days or so.

The war in Burma kicks into high gears as he reaches Rangoon and works to cut the Burma road to China. There is a running two day battle over Rangoon that I will detail in a separate post.

Raiding
Submarine attack near Kanoya xAKL Yamabuki Maru, Shell hits 4 vs SS Tambor, hits 2

Fleet of Doom
USN CAR DIV 1 (Hornet), USN CAR DIV 2 (Yorktown), CAR Div 4 (Wasp) Force H (Illustrious and Formidable), Force Z (Repulse and North Carolina) are supporting the Baker Island Landing. CAR DIV 3 will head home for repair and upgrade, while its a risk he could try an intercept from Truk at flank speed, the Enterprise will make its way directly to Pearl.

CAR DIV 3 (Enterprise), is two days from Pearl and seems that she will clear the submarine force that is stalking her.

The USN 1st Bat Div (Maryland, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Warspite) are in route now to Luganville to support operations in the SWPAC area. I should have enough fuel to support these ships as there is not much else in the area.

Force X which consists of Revenge, Royal Sovereign, Ramillies, Resolution, plus 2 CA, 2 CL and 7 DD. This force is bases in Colombo and is moving to bombard airfield supporting his forces in Burma.

Lexington and Saratoga in for their June Upgrades (13 days left). The Yorktown, Enterprise and Hornet have been upgraded to TBF-1 Avengers. All carrier pilots (minus Lexington and Saratoga) have been swapped around this now allows for all both these carriers to have pilots will primary skill at or above 70. Experience for Fighter units is above 70, for DB/TBs it averages a little over 60. The Hornet and Yorktown Marine ACUs are using F4F-3s and the Enterprise Marine ACU is using the F4F-4. The Lexington and Saratgoa air groups are training pilots like mad, I should have enough 70 skills pilots to outfit these air groups outside of the TBs. I have two full PBY groups training the NavT skill (as of 12/08/41) but I don't think I will catch up in the next 13 days.

Mini-Doom
The small CVE fleet, in two separate taffys has been formed. Currently it comprises the Long Island with 17 Marine F2A-3 Buffalo fighters (speed 16) in one. The second one contains the CVL Hermes (speed 25) with 20 Sea Hurricane Ib. Both of these are following the Baker Island landing force as it returns to regroup at Christmas Island.

KB and Mini-KB
Location Unknown at this time, and they could be anywhere. Suspect it is at Truck but no hard facts exist.

Java
At Batavia was bombarded the other one day after he gets a 1:2 on a Deliberate attack. This does not look good at all but will hold int the first week of July. He takes mostly displacements and I take both losses and displacements.

China
He has continued to bombard from the ground at Wenchow to work to burn off my supplies and damage the airfield, supplies stand at 2.0K (rising). We also have 32K troops in the max stacking of 40K. Two Chines ACU's (I-15s and P-43-1) were mauled by 60+ Oscar Fighters and will withdraw to regroup.

His army is also prepping for a 42/43 offensive once Wenchow falls. Moving units to hold the areas he is prepping to attack and protect against any Flanking maneuvers. Targets he is prepping for are: Sian, Wuchow, Changsha and Chenchow.

Burma
Massive running two day air battles. Intel Monkey shows the 55th Infantry Bde, 33rd Division, 204th Ship Eng Coy, 21st Med FA Bn, 15th Army, 55th Eng Reg, 112th Infantry Reg and 14th Ind. Art. Mortar Bn prepping for Rangoon.

At Rangoon to oppose them I have the 1st Burma Infantry Division, the 17th Indian Infantry Division, three Burma Infantry Bn, three base force Bn, the Burma Corps HQc, 23K of Supplies, Fort 5-54%, two P-40E ACU, four British fighter ACUs and one small Lysander II Recon unit. We have 16 more air frames and the base then we can handle with aviation support but air combat should correct this. There are four HDML's to provide bombardment cover.

At Mandalay there are 32K of supplies, three poorly equipped Indian Armored Cav Rgts, the 7th Armored Bde, three Burma Infantry Bn, two base force and Forts 3 - 95%. There is one Burma Inf Bn and one Burma Inf Bde that will fall back from the front to support Mandalay as needed. The armor may strike south if we see a targer.

At Port Blair there are four HDML, 1 ACM, 148 mines, 2 Base Forces and the 45th Indian Bde, 47K of Supplies and Fort 3-77%. All land units are 100% prep'd and the leader of the 45ht has been upgraded.

Operation Apple Jacks
One day late and a dollar short, so it is now a battle of attrition to regain Ndeni. The goal is to turn this into a front where we can bring the same amount or more force into play and drain him of planes, supplies and pilots. I want to see if I can use up my current model airplanes before they cannot be used on the front lines in early 1943.

At Vanikoro is a Port level 1, the Airfield 4-07% and the Fort 3-32%, 12 PT Boats and one AGP. Looking to scrounge up an ACM and 150 mines. The 1st Marine Raider Bn and the 8th Marine Def Bn, 1st US Naval Construction Bn , 13th MAG HQ, 2nd USMC Parachute Bn, 2/7 Commando Bn and the Del Monte AAF Base Force are at this location. There is one P-39D ACU, two A-24 ACUs, one F4F-3P ACU, one F2A-2 Buffalo ACU, one F4F-3A Wildcat, one SB2U-3 Vindicator and one PBY-5 ACU located at this base.

Luganville is safe with Forts Level 3, Airfield 6-63% two CD LCUs, one ACM, the 2nd Marine Divion + a lot of friends, 148 mines and six crappy DDs + the CA Chester. If I can come up with the PT boats I will also add some here but this may take a while as I have a bunch of them in the Line Islands. The island has 284 Aviation Support and one Air HQ. Five B-17E ACUs and one B-17D ACU ready to bomb the Level 2 Airfield at Tulagi (there is one LB-30 ACU that can also hit Tulagi from Noumea). The Airfield will expand to the needed level eight in the next ten to 15 days, at this point we will resume bombing Tulagi.

In the next 30 days or sooner the following will occur to support the advance on Ndeni in Phase 2:
1) The medium range bombers from Pago Pago will deploy to Lugnaville to smash the airfields or Ports that are built on Ndeni, as air field space is created.
2) The 1st Marine Division, 641st Towed TD Bn, 1 USMC Parachute BN and one FA BN that are now prepping for Ndeni (26% and counting) based at Suva.
3) A trickle down of fighters to the four Marine ACUs at Pago Pago has started. As ACUs with the F2A-2 Buffalo's are filled out they will be added to the air war over the Santa Cruz Islands.
4) There are two US 25 Figher ACU's located at Suva and Pago Pago that can be rotated in as needed for air cover --- along with four 25 Fighter ACU's located at Noumea.

The needed lift is in place in Suva, waiting for the USN 1st Bat Div to arrive to provide surface cover.

Operation Honeycomb
The reserve landing is green lighted, we have the 40th US Infantry Division, 110th Combat Engr Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 223rd FA Bn will attack Baker Island from Christmas Island. All units are prepping and are around 100%. The needed lift is at the island just waiting to see if the smaller landing to return and then we set sail.

The Fleet of Doom and Mini-Doom will cover this landing.

Operation Mr. T
The retaking of the Ellice Islands: Vaitupu and Funafuti. Allied high command wants to make sure we keep the pressure on him from both the Southwest and Central Pacific. I think I am going to fall into a very historical Left-Right attack along the MacArthur and Nimitz lines of advance.

From Nadi the 4 FA Bn, 32nd Infantry Div and the 192nd Tank Bn will attack Funafuti, preparation in the mid 40’s. The 754th Tank Bn, Americal Inf Div and the 205th FA Bn will attack from Koumac and take Vaitupu - ~50% prepped and climbing.

Operation Cookie-Crisp
The landing at Tabiteuea and Tarawa. Forces will stage from Pearl will take these islands. At this point it is just planning and prepping. I don’t expect to be able to do this until all the carriers have completed their upgrades.

For Tabiteuea the 27th Infantry Division, the 181st FA Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 134th Cmbt Engr Bn are all prepping for this in the mid-40s.

For Tarawa the 21st Infantry Rgt (Restricted), 34th Infantry Rgt and the 34th Combat Engr Rgt are all prepping in the mid-30’s.

Given he now controls Attu as of June 20th 1942, I have decided on an operation to evict him as quickly as possible before the winter sets in. The main purpose of this is more maskirovka than anything else. I want AirGriff to feel threatened in the north in the hopes he starts diverting resources and units to the defensive line in the Kurile's.

The 3rd Marine Division and 3rs Pioneer Bn are in route to Seattle and are prepping for the landing. I may need to scrounge up some additional forces depending on what we find that is guarding the base. These forces will be paired with the landing ships from the Baker Island campaign and the will move to Dutch Harbor for staging. The Fleet of Doom will support the landing from Pearl Harbor to make as much noise as possible.

There is one O-47 Recon ACU now in route to help collect inelegance on the defenses.

1. The 14th and 16th Canadian Inf Bde are prepping to retake the island, both these units are in Los Angeles and are still restricted.
3. ComAirNoPac HQ-A will relocate from Anchorage to Dutch Harbor and then to Adak.

Amchitka:
Port 1, Airfield 3(4)-05%, Fort 3(9)-43% and Supplies 14K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group, US Sep Inf Reg and CD Art Bn. There is one and a P-40E ACU operating out of this base.

Ulak Island:
Port 1, Airfield 0(2), Fort 1(6)-02% and Supplies 1K. One Canadian Inf Bn and one USA FA Bn in route.

Adak Island:
Port 2, Airfield 2(4)-34%, Fort 3(9)-60% and Supplies 26K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group and two Canadian Inf Bn. One P-40E ACU is at the base.

Dutch Harbor:
Port 5(3)-13%, Airfield 1(0)-02%, Fort 4(9)-43%, Supplies 74K and Fuel 27K. Units defending three Cst AA Rgt's, one FA Bn, one CD Art Bn, one USN Base Force, two Const Rgt, one Aviation Engr Bn, one Port Maint Engr Bn, the North Pacific HQ and one USA Sep Inf Reg.
There is one PBY ACU operating out this base. Working there are three ACMs at Dutch Harbor and I will deploy 150 mines to help hold the island and keeps subs out of the port. There are two AO, two KVs and one AKE in the port to support the forward fleet.

None.

Pamekasan
Lautem
Pantar

None.

None.

Attachments
CBI.jpg
CBI.jpg (714.96 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Air War in Burma

As I expected the air war kicked into high gear. Before the turn I had the following in Rangoon for air cover ---- One P-40E ACU, two Hurricane IIb Trop ACUs and one Buffalo I ACU along with a small Lysander II Recon unit. The P-40E ACU was pulled back to Akyab to take replacements (down to 5 flying aircraft and 5 damaged). We added two P-40E ACUs and one Mohawk IK ACU. This leaves us 16 planes more than we have Aviation support but combat should take care of this.

The British pilots all have 70 Air and 60+ Exp. The American and Canadian Pilots all have 50+ Exp and 70+ Air. Pilot Training should allow me to maintain this level or quality or increase it as I need replacement pilots.

There are two British Hurricane IIb Trop ACUs, one Canadian Kittyhawk I ACU, one US P-400 ACU, two P-40E ACUs plus the one P-40E ACU that is rebuilding which was pulled from Rangoon that can rotate in as needed. Airframes in reserve are ---- P-39D:116, P-40E:70, Hurricane IIc Trop:31, Hurricane XIIb:27, Mohawk IV:26: Hurricane IIb:26, P-400:5, Buffalo I:4 and Kittyhawk I:2.

Am I crazy to hold the line in the air if the exchange rate that is around 1:1? Or should I fight if the exchange rate is 3:2 in his favor or does it need to be in my favor? I think fighting him at 1:1 is great as it is trading my crappy airframes and pilots for his batter pilots, plus draining him of supply and heavy industry to replace his planes.

It was pretty clear to me form the combat reports he simply wore me down over two days in the air, the losses were heavily in my favor to start and then tilted towards him over time . The hope is that with two additional ACUs and the naval bombardment I can reverse the trend.

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 7 destroyed
A6M3 Zero: 16 destroyed
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 7 destroyed
Buffalo I: 9 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 9 destroyed

---------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53
Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 30 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 16
Hurricane IIb Trop x 32
P-40E Warhawk x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 10 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

CAP engaged:
No.17 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 5 scrambling)
8 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 36 minutes
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 5 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes
No.136 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 5 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 7 scrambling)
12 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes

Raid detected at 45 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 26

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 9
Hurricane IIb Trop x 28
P-40E Warhawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

CAP engaged:
No.17 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes
No.136 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 23000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 6 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes

Raid detected at 19 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 25

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 5
Hurricane IIb Trop x 14
P-40E Warhawk x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M3 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

CAP engaged:
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
No.136 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 25000.
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 23000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 26000.

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 38

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 2
Hurricane IIb Trop x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.17 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters to 27000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 48 minutes
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 21000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 51 minutes

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 42 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 6
Hurricane IIb Trop x 14
P-40E Warhawk x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x A6M3 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

CAP engaged:
No.17 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 2 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 17000 and 26000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 2 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
No.136 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters to 13000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 36 minutes

Raid detected at 12 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 37

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 2
Hurricane IIb Trop x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 69 minutes
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 22000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 47 minutes
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 17000 and 22990.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 49 minutes

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 10

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes

Attachments
RANGOON.jpg
RANGOON.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Ground Combat at Batavia

With the leader bonus I hold him 1:2 but with these losses one or two more attacks and I am done for.....

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 32034 troops, 389 guns, 302 vehicles, Assault Value = 987
Defending force 26869 troops, 292 guns, 153 vehicles, Assault Value = 481

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 596
Allied adjusted defense: 1035

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1738 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 84 disabled
Non Combat: 14 destroyed, 29 disabled
Engineers: 25 destroyed, 43 disabled
Vehicles lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
853 casualties reported
Squads: 55 destroyed, 134 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 42 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 46 (4 destroyed, 42 disabled)

Assaulting units:
21st Ind Engineer Regiment
38th Division
47th Infantry Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
16th Engineer Regiment
20th Ind Engineer Regiment
48th Engineer Regiment
65th Brigade
148th Infantry Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
14th Army
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
48th Field Artillery Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st Regt Cavalerie
1st KNIL Landstorm Battalion
Mobiele Eenheid Battalion
4th KNIL Landstorm Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Regiment
4th KNIL Regiment
Roodenburg Battalion
2nd Avn Sup Groep
Batavia KM Base Force
Batavia Defenses
1st KNIL AA Battalion
KNI Zeemacht
6th Avn Sup Afd
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
ABDA
4th Avn Sup Groep
KNI Leger
ML-KNIL
7th Avn Sup Afd
rook749

Post by rook749 »

2 July 42 - 03 July 42 Executive Summary

He continues to clean up the Philippines and the NEI. The war in Burma kicks into high gears as he reaches Rangoon and works to cut the Burma road to China. The running air battle over Rangoon continues to exchange airframes at about a 1:1 rate --- details in a separate post.

Raiding
Nothing of any note.

Fleet of Doom
USN CAR DIV 1 (Hornet), USN CAR DIV 2 (Yorktown), CAR Div 4 (Wasp) Force H (Illustrious and Formidable), Force Z (Repulse and North Carolina) are supporting the Baker Island Landing. Force Z bombards Baker Island as it was in the area. All these forces will rearm at Christmas Island.

CAR DIV 3 (Enterprise), is two days from Pearl and seems that she will clear the submarine force that is stalking her.

Force X which consists of Revenge, Royal Sovereign, Ramillies, Resolution, plus 2 CA, 2 CL and 7 DD. This force is bases in Colombo and is moving to bombard airfields supporting his forces in Burma, should arrive tonight.

Lexington and Saratoga in for their June Upgrades (11 days left). The Yorktown, Enterprise and Hornet have been upgraded to TBF-1 Avengers. All carrier pilots (minus Lexington and Saratoga) have been swapped around this now allows for all both these carriers to have pilots will primary skill at or above 70. Experience for Fighter units is above 70, for DB/TBs it averages a little over 60. The Hornet and Yorktown Marine ACUs are using F4F-3s and the Enterprise Marine ACU is using the F4F-4. The Lexington and Saratgoa air groups are training pilots like mad, I should have enough 70 skills pilots to outfit these air groups outside of the TBs. I have two full PBY groups training the NavT skill (as of 12/08/41) but I don't think I will catch up in the next 13 days.

Mini-Doom
The small CVE fleet, in two separate taffys has been formed. Currently it comprises the Long Island with 17 Marine F2A-3 Buffalo fighters (speed 16) in one. The second one contains the CVL Hermes (speed 25) with 20 Sea Hurricane Ib. Both of these are following the aborted Baker Island landing force as it returns to regroup at Christmas Island.

KB and Mini-KB
Location Unknown at this time, and they could be anywhere. Suspect it is at Truck but no hard facts exist.

Java
At Batavia he attacks for two days in a row at 1:1 odds. It does not look good at all but will hold int the first week of July. He takes mostly displacements and I take both losses and displacements.

China
He has continued to bombard from the ground at Wenchow to work to burn off my supplies and damage the airfield, supplies stand at 1.9K (falling). We also have 32K troops in the max stacking of 40K. Two Chines ACU's (I-15s and P-43-1) were mauled by 60+ Oscar Fighters and will withdraw to regroup.

Burma
Massive running two day air battles. Intel Monkey shows the 55th Infantry Bde, 33rd Division, 204th Ship Eng Coy, 21st Med FA Bn, 15th Army, 55th Eng Reg, 112th Infantry Reg and 14th Ind. Art. Mortar Bn prepping for Rangoon.

At Rangoon to oppose them I have the 1st Burma Infantry Division, the 17th Indian Infantry Division, three Burma Infantry Bn, three base force Bn, the Burma Corps HQc, 23K of Supplies, Fort 5-57%, two P-40E ACU, and four British fighter ACUs. We have -2 more air frames and the base then we can handle with aviation support and air combat swill reduce this further. There are four HDML's to provide bombardment cover. He has nineteen Land units in Rangoon of unknown type and strength.

At Mandalay there are 32K of supplies, three poorly equipped Indian Armored Cav Rgts, the 7th Armored Bde, three Burma Infantry Bn, two base force and Forts 3 - 97%. There is one Burma Inf Bn and one Burma Inf Bde that will fall back from the front to support Mandalay as needed. The armor may strike south if we see a target, two amour units throw the base force out of Toungoo.

At Port Blair there are four HDML, 1 ACM, 148 mines, 2 Base Forces and the 45th Indian Bde, 47K of Supplies and Fort 3-79%. All land units are 100% prep'd and the leader of the 45ht has been upgraded.

Operation Apple Jacks

At Vanikoro is a Port level 1, the Airfield 4-13% and the Fort 3-35%, 12 PT Boats and one AGP. Looking to scrounge up an ACM and 150 mines. The 1st Marine Raider Bn and the 8th Marine Def Bn, 1st US Naval Construction Bn , 13th MAG HQ, 2nd USMC Parachute Bn, 2/7 Commando Bn and the Del Monte AAF Base Force are at this location. There is one P-39D ACU, two A-24 ACUs, one F4F-3P ACU, one F2A-2 Buffalo ACU, one F4F-3A Wildcat, one SB2U-3 Vindicator and one PBY-5 ACU located at this base.

Luganville is safe with Forts Level 3, Airfield 6-71% two CD LCUs, one ACM, the 2nd Marine Divion + a lot of friends, 148 mines and six crappy DDs + the CA Chester. If I can come up with the PT boats I will also add some here but this may take a while as I have a bunch of them in the Line Islands. The island has 284 Aviation Support and one Air HQ. Five B-17E ACUs and one B-17D ACU ready to bomb the Level 2 Airfield at Tulagi (there is one LB-30 ACU that can also hit Tulagi from Noumea). The Airfield will expand to the needed level eight in the next ten to 15 days, at this point we will resume bombing Tulagi.

Operation Honeycomb
The reserve landing is green lighted, we have the 40th US Infantry Division, 110th Combat Engr Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 223rd FA Bn will attack Baker Island from Christmas Island. All units are prepping and are around 100%. The needed lift is at the island just waiting to see if the smaller landing to return and then we set sail for the second try.

Operation Mr. T

Operation Cookie-Crisp

For Tabiteuea the 27th Infantry Division, the 181st FA Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 134th Cmbt Engr Bn are all prepping for this in the low-50s.

For Tarawa the 21st Infantry Rgt (Restricted), 34th Infantry Rgt and the 34th Combat Engr Rgt are all prepping in the mid-40’s.

The 3rd Marine Division and 3rs Pioneer Bn are in route to Seattle and are prepping for the landing. I may need to scrounge up some additional forces depending on what we find that is guarding the base. These forces will be paired with the landing ships from the Baker Island campaign and the will move to Dutch Harbor for staging. The Fleet of Doom will support the landing from Pearl Harbor to make as much noise as possible.

Amchitka:
Port 1, Airfield 3(4)-09%, Fort 3(9)-44% and Supplies 14K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group, US Sep Inf Reg and CD Art Bn. There is one and a P-40E ACU operating out of this base.

Ulak Island:
Port 1, Airfield 0(2), Fort 1(6)-08% and Supplies 1K. One Canadian Inf Bn and one USA FA Bn in route.

Adak Island:
Port 2, Airfield 2(4)-40%, Fort 3(9)-60% and Supplies 26K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group and two Canadian Inf Bn. One P-40E ACU is at the base.

Dutch Harbor:
Port 5(3)-17%, Airfield 1(0)-03%, Fort 4(9)-46%, Supplies 74K and Fuel 27K. Units defending three Cst AA Rgt's, one FA Bn, one CD Art Bn, one USN Base Force, two Const Rgt, one Aviation Engr Bn, one Port Maint Engr Bn, the North Pacific HQ and one USA Sep Inf Reg. There is one PBY ACU operating out this base. Working there are three ACMs at Dutch Harbor and I will deploy 150 mines to help hold the island and keeps subs out of the port. There are two AO, two KVs and one AKE in the port to support the forward fleet.

Amphibious Assault at Dili (71,115)
Amphibious Assault at Morotai (80,101)
Amphibious Assault at Sarmi (91,114)
Amphibious Assault at Taberfane (82,117)

Pamekasan
Lautem
Pantar

None.

None.

Attachments
enterprise.jpg
enterprise.jpg (244.95 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Rangoon Air War
Those Tojo's are tough, it wont be fun as more and more of them come online. So far he sees to have one or two Squardons of Tojo's on this front. So far we are still holding at a 1:1 Exchange rate. I intennd to hold the line in the air as long as possible even if it means I run out of reserve airframes.

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 11 destroyed
A6M3 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 9 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 2 destroyed

Airframe Pools:
----------------
Airframe Current //// Diff*
P-39D --- 118 /// +2
P-40E --- 53 /// -17
Hurricane IIb --- 17 /// -10
Hurricane IIc --- 33 /// +2
Hurricane XIIb --- 28 /// +0
P-400 --- 05 /// +0
Buffalo I --- 00 /// -4
Kittyhwak I --- 02 /// +0
Mohawk IV --- 23 /// -3

There are two British Hurricane IIb Trop ACUs, one Canadian Kittyhawk I ACU, one US P-400 ACU, two P-40E ACUs plus the one P-40E ACU that is rebuilding which was pulled from Rangoon that can rotate in as needed.

* The Diff is the difference in the airframe pools from the June 30th date that the air war stated in Rangoon.

I can post the combat reports of anyone wants the details.
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Batavia Holds ---

The end is near after two 1:1 attacks.

Attacking force 34343 troops, 415 guns, 295 vehicles, Assault Value = 910
Defending force 25511 troops, 292 guns, 149 vehicles, Assault Value = 365

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 911
Allied adjusted defense: 463

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1912 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 91 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 16 destroyed, 72 disabled
Guns lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
827 casualties reported
Squads: 61 destroyed, 71 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 16 (4 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 56 (34 destroyed, 22 disabled)

Assaulting units:
16th Engineer Regiment
65th Brigade
47th Infantry Regiment
148th Infantry Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
20th Ind Engineer Regiment
38th Division
48th Engineer Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
21st Ind Engineer Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
48th Field Artillery Regiment
14th Army
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st Regt Cavalerie
2nd KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Regiment
Mobiele Eenheid Battalion
4th KNIL Landstorm Battalion
4th KNIL Regiment
Roodenburg Battalion
KNI Zeemacht
1st KNIL Landstorm Battalion
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
ML-KNIL
4th Avn Sup Groep
6th Avn Sup Afd
KNI Leger
Batavia Defenses
Batavia KM Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
2nd Avn Sup Groep
ABDA
7th Avn Sup Afd

Attacking force 33132 troops, 413 guns, 293 vehicles, Assault Value = 800
Defending force 24505 troops, 290 guns, 127 vehicles, Assault Value = 287

Japanese adjusted assault: 586
Allied adjusted defense: 353

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
763 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 54 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 35 disabled
Engineers: 45 destroyed, 33 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
889 casualties reported
Squads: 31 destroyed, 90 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 68 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Guns lost 51 (7 destroyed, 44 disabled)
Vehicles lost 37 (13 destroyed, 24 disabled)
rook749

Post by rook749 »

4 July 42 - 05 July 42 Executive Summary

Batavia falls as he continues to clean up the Philippines and the NEI. The was in Burma continues with but the air battles favor me today. The main reason for by suscess is Force X knocking out some of his airframes knocked and some of his forces trying to intercepts some xAKLs running supply to Rangoon (he misses the ships).

Raiding
TF 350 encounters mine field at Moulmein SS Trusty, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage (later sinks) was laying a mine field.
Sub attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-26, hits 2 CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 1
Submarine attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-26 xAP Kajang, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage (later sinks)

Hats off to I-26......

Allied Naval Forces
Fleet of Doom: USN CAR DIV 1 (Hornet), USN CAR DIV 2 (Yorktown), CAR Div 4 (Wasp) Force H (Illustrious and Formidable), Force Z (Repulse and North Carolina) are supporting the Baker Island Landing. Force Z bombards Baker Island as it was in the area. All these forces will rearm at Christmas Island.

CAR DIV 3 (Enterprise): Makes Pearl but takes another torpedo along the way![:@]. She now needs 53 days in the yard to repair her battle damage. The

The USN 1st Bat Div (Maryland, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Warspite): In route now to Luganville to support operations in the SWPAC area. I should have enough fuel to support these ships as there is not much else in the area.

Force X (Revenge, Royal Sovereign, Ramillies, Resolution): Just Bombarded Moulmein and is in route back to Colombo to refuel and rearm.

Lexington and Saratoga in for their June Upgrades (11 days left) at Pearl harbor. Given the Enterprise in the the shop I now should have enough pilots to outfit all of my CVs with 60+ Exp and 70 Skill pilots. The Enterprise ACU's will no shift to training replacements for the reserve pool.

Mini-Doom: The small CVE fleet, in two separate taffys has been formed. Currently it comprises the Long Island with 17 Marine F2A-3 Buffalo fighters (speed 16) in one. The second one contains the CVL Hermes (speed 25) with 20 Sea Hurricane Ib. Both of these are following the aborted Baker Island landing force as it returns to regroup at Christmas Island.

KB and Mini-KB

Java
At Batavia falls on the first day of the turn. what little is left in the area should fall quickly.

China
He has continued to bombard from the ground and the air at Wenchow to work to burn off my supplies and damage the airfield, supplies stand at 1.9K (holding). We also have 32K troops in the max stacking of 40K. In two more days two Chines ACU units will be ready to contest the air again for a bit.

Burma
The ground bombardment has stated, details in separate post. Intel Monkey shows the 55th Infantry Bde, 33rd Division, 204th Ship Eng Coy, 21st Med FA Bn, 15th Army, 55th Eng Reg, 112th Infantry Reg and 14th Ind. Art. Mortar Bn prepping for Rangoon.

At Rangoon to oppose them I have the 1st Burma Infantry Division, the 17th Indian Infantry Division, three Burma Infantry Bn, three base force Bn, the Burma Corps HQc, 23K of Supplies, Fort 5-61%, two P-40E ACU, and four British fighter ACUs. We have -2 more air frames and the base then we can handle with aviation support and air combat swill reduce this further. There are four HDML's to provide bombardment cover. He has nineteen Land units in Rangoon of unknown type and strength.

At Mandalay there are 32K of supplies, three poorly equipped Indian Armored Cav Rgts, the 7th Armored Bde, three Burma Infantry Bn, two base force and Forts 3 - 98%. There is one Burma Inf Bn and one Burma Inf Bde that will fall back from the front to support Mandalay as needed. The armor may strike south if we see a target.

At Port Blair there are four HDML, 1 ACM, 148 mines, 2 Base Forces and the 45th Indian Bde, 42K of Supplies and Fort 3-79%. All land units are 100% prep'd and the leader of the 45ht has been upgraded.

Operation Apple Jacks

At Vanikoro is a Port level 1, the Airfield 4-18% and the Fort 3-37%, 12 PT Boats and one AGP. Looking to scrounge up an ACM and 150 mines. The 1st Marine Raider Bn and the 8th Marine Def Bn, 1st US Naval Construction Bn , 13th MAG HQ, 2nd USMC Parachute Bn, 2/7 Commando Bn and the Del Monte AAF Base Force are at this location. There is one P-39D ACU, two A-24 ACUs, one F4F-3P ACU, one F2A-2 Buffalo ACU, one F4F-3A Wildcat, one SB2U-3 Vindicator and one PBY-5 ACU located at this base.

Luganville is safe with Forts Level 3, Airfield 6-80% two CD LCUs, one ACM, the 2nd Marine Divion + a lot of friends, 148 mines and six crappy DDs + the CA Chester. If I can come up with the PT boats I will also add some here but this may take a while as I have a bunch of them in the Line Islands. The island has 284 Aviation Support and one Air HQ. Five B-17E ACUs and one B-17D ACU ready to bomb the Level 2 Airfield at Tulagi (there is one LB-30 ACU that can also hit Tulagi from Noumea). The Airfield will expand to the needed level eight in the next ten to 15 days, at this point we will resume bombing Tulagi.

Operation Honeycomb
The reserve landing is green lighted, we have the 40th US Infantry Division, 110th Combat Engr Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 223rd FA Bn will attack Baker Island from Christmas Island. All units are prepping and are around 100%. The needed lift is at the island just waiting to see if the smaller landing to return and then we set sail for the second try.

Operation Mr. T

Operation Cookie-Crisp

For Tabiteuea the 27th Infantry Division, the 181st FA Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 134th Cmbt Engr Bn are all prepping for this in the low-50s.

For Tarawa the 21st Infantry Rgt (Restricted), 34th Infantry Rgt and the 34th Combat Engr Rgt are all prepping in the mid-40’s.

1. At Anchorage we have one B-17E ACU, one B-25B ACU and one C-47 ACU.
2. ComAirNoPac HQ-A will relocate from Anchorage to Dutch Harbor and then to Adak.
3. Move two AA units to Adak.
4. Add ACM and 150 mines to Adak.

Amchitka:
Port 1, Airfield 3(4)-14%, Fort 3(9)-45% and Supplies 15K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group, US Sep Inf Reg and CD Art Bn. There is one and a P-40E ACU operating out of this base.

Ulak Island:
Port 1, Airfield 0(2), Fort 1(6)-13% and Supplies 3K. One Canadian Inf Bn and one USA FA Bn defending.

Adak Island:
Port 2, Airfield 2(4)-48%, Fort 3(9)-61% and Supplies 26K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group and two Canadian Inf Bn. One P-40E ACU is at the base.

Dutch Harbor:
Port 5(3)-20%, Airfield 1(0)-04%, Fort 4(9)-50%, Supplies 72K and Fuel 27K. Units defending three Cst AA Rgt's, one FA Bn, one CD Art Bn, one USN Base Force, two Const Rgt, one Aviation Engr Bn, one Port Maint Engr Bn, the North Pacific HQ and one USA Sep Inf Reg. There is one PBY ACU operating out this base. Working there are three ACMs at Dutch Harbor and I will deploy 150 mines to help hold the island and keeps subs out of the port. There are two AO, two KVs and one AKE in the port to support the forward fleet.

None.

Roti
Sarmi
Toungoo
Batavia

None.

None.

Attachments
CBI.jpg
CBI.jpg (484.72 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Ground War at Rangoon

Given the forces involved on both sides I don't see the need to pull my air units out of the hex yet. He has 10K more troops and more guns but with the level 5 forts I think I can bleed him for a while.

Ground combat at Rangoon (54,53)
Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 43478 troops, 542 guns, 128 vehicles, Assault Value = 1482
Defending force 32263 troops, 273 guns, 295 vehicles, Assault Value = 897

Japanese ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
69 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
23rd Ind Engineer Regiment
33rd Division
56th Infantry Regiment
112th Infantry Regiment
21st Infantry Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
114th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
55th Engineer Regiment
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion
25th Army
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
5th Field Artillery Regiment
55th Mountain Gun Regiment
15th Army
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
RM Viper Force
Rangoon BAF Battalion
1st Burma Division
6th Burma Rifles Battalion
17th Indian Division
1st Burma Auxiliary AA Regiment
221 Group RAF
108th RAF Base Force
107th RAF Base Force
Burma Corps
103rd RN Base Force
100th RAF Base Force

Attacking force 43475 troops, 542 guns, 128 vehicles, Assault Value = 1483
Defending force 32227 troops, 273 guns, 294 vehicles, Assault Value = 892

Japanese ground losses:
41 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Rangoon Air War
With the bombardment Force X and the some of his air forces are tried (and missed) an xAKLs running supply to Rangoon.

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 12 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 1 destroyed

Airframe Pools:
----------------
Airframe Current //// Diff*
P-39D --- 120 /// +4
P-40E --- 55 /// -15
Hurricane IIb --- 18 /// -9
Hurricane IIc --- 35 /// +4
Hurricane XIIb --- 30 /// +2
P-400 --- 05 /// +0
Buffalo I --- 00 /// -4
Kittyhwak I --- 02 /// +0
Mohawk IV --- 25 /// -1

There are two British Hurricane IIb Trop ACUs, one Canadian Kittyhawk I ACU, one US P-400 ACU, two P-40E ACUs plus the one P-40E ACU that is rebuilding which was pulled from Rangoon that can rotate in as needed.

* The Diff is the difference in the airframe pools from the June 30th date that the air war stated in Rangoon.

I can post the combat reports of anyone wants the details. But here is the bombardment from Force X, not great but at least will keep him honest.

Night Naval bombardment of Moulmein at 55,55

Japanese aircraft losses (in addition to the losses above)
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 damaged
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 2 damaged
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB Resolution
BB Ramillies
BB Royal Sovereign
BB Revenge
CA Exeter
CA Cornwall
CL Enterprise
CL Hobart
DD Isis
DD Griffin
DD Foxhound
DD Fortune
DD Express
DD Encounter
DD Electra

Japanese ground losses:
414 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Manpower hits 4
Fires 8769
Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 37
Port hits 14
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 3

rook749

Post by rook749 »

ASW Work off of Pearl

I have a strict policy of hunting his submarines with all assets once they are located. We have ordered a maximum effort to hunt them down. Next turn three more MB bomber units arrive and will start hunting at night to keep the DL high.

Attachments
PEARL.jpg
PEARL.jpg (519.51 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

6 July 42 - 07 July 42 Executive Summary

He continues to clean up the Philippines and the NEI. There is a pause in the air war over Rangoon, all I can assume is that he is regrouping and will come back with more force or different tactics.

Raiding
ASW attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-17, hits 2 vs Allied ASW
Sub attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-6, hits 2 vs Allied ASW
Sub attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-10, hits 1 vs Allied ASW
TF 333 encounters mine field at Tulagi PB Hirota Maru, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
Sub attack near Tulagi xAK Kazan Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage vs SS S-23

There was a lot of other ASW Activity but around Pearl but no other hits, my ASW will again surge from Pearl this turn to hunt the very nice sub field he has deployed.

Allied Naval Forces
Fleet of Doom: USN CAR DIV 1 (Hornet), USN CAR DIV 2 (Yorktown), CAR Div 4 (Wasp) Force H (Illustrious and Formidable), Force Z (Repulse and North Carolina) are supporting the Baker Island Landing. Force Z bombards Baker Island as it was in the area. All these forces will rearm at Christmas Island.

CAR DIV 3 (Enterprise): Reaping at Pearl has 51 days in the yard to repair her battle damage.

The USN 1st Bat Div (Maryland, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Warspite): At Luganville to support operations in the SWPAC area. The Santa Cruz Force is also at Luganville (Chester, Quincy and six Dutch DDs).

Force X (Revenge, Royal Sovereign, Ramillies, Resolution): Just Bombarded Moulmein and is in route back to Colombo to refuel and rearm.

Lexington and Saratoga in for their June Upgrades (7 days left) at Pearl harbor. Given the Enterprise in the the shop I now should have enough pilots to outfit all of my CVs with 60+ Exp and 70 Skill pilots. The Enterprise ACU's will no shift to training replacements for the reserve pool.

Mini-Doom: The small CVE fleet, in two separate taffys has been formed. Currently it comprises the Long Island with 17 Marine F2A-3 Buffalo fighters (speed 16) in one. The second one contains the CL Hermes (speed 25) with 20 Sea Hurricane Ib. Both of these are at Christmas Island.

KB and Mini-KB
Location Unknown at this time, and they could be anywhere. Suspect one or both are at Rabul as the CV Junyo was spotted heading her by SS-46 on the 7th of July and there are a reported 86 ships in port at this time.

China
He has continued to bombard from the ground and the air at Wenchow to work to burn off my supplies and damage the airfield, supplies stand at 1.9K (holding). We also have 32K troops in the max stacking of 40K. In two more days two Chines ACU units will be ready to contest the air again for a bit. Last turn the Oscar's sweep but did not find my airforce, will wait one more turn before I send back in my air force.

Burma
The ground bombardment has stated, details in separate post but so far it favors me. Intel Monkey shows the 55th Infantry Bde, 33rd Division, 204th Ship Eng Coy, 21st Med FA Bn, 15th Army, 55th Eng Reg, 112th Infantry Reg and 14th Ind. Art. Mortar Bn prepping for Rangoon.

At Rangoon to oppose them I have the 1st Burma Infantry Division, the 17th Indian Infantry Division, three Burma Infantry Bn, three base force Bn, the Burma Corps HQc, 22K of Supplies, Fort 5-64%, two P-40E ACU, and four British fighter ACUs. We have -2 more air frames and the base then we can handle with aviation support and air combat swill reduce this further. There are four HDML's to provide bombardment cover. He has twenty Land units in Rangoon. A sully convoy should unload this turn at Rangoon, with 3K of supplies.

At Mandalay there are 32K of supplies, three poorly equipped Indian Armored Cav Rgts, the 7th Armored Bde, three Burma Infantry Bn, two base force and Forts 4 - 00%. There is one Burma Inf Bn and one Burma Inf Bde that will fall back from the front to support Mandalay as needed. The armor may strike south if we see a target.

At Port Blair there are four HDML, 1 ACM, 148 mines, 2 Base Forces and the 45th Indian Bde, 42K of Supplies and Fort 3-81%. All land units are 100% prep'd and the leader of the 45ht has been upgraded.

Operation Apple Jacks

At Vanikoro is a Port level 1, the Airfield 4-28% and the Fort 3, 12 PT Boats and one AGP. Looking to scrounge up an ACM and 150 mines. The 1st Marine Raider Bn and the 8th Marine Def Bn, 1st US Naval Construction Bn , 13th MAG HQ, 2nd USMC Parachute Bn, 2/7 Commando Bn and the Del Monte AAF Base Force are at this location. There is one P-39D ACU, two A-24 ACUs, one F4F-3P ACU, one F2A-2 Buffalo ACU, one F4F-3A Wildcat, one SB2U-3 Vindicator and one PBY-5 ACU located at this base.

Luganville is safe with Forts Level 3, Airfield 6-88% two CD LCUs, one ACM, the 2nd Marine Divion + a lot of friends and 148 mines. If I can come up with the PT boats I will also add some here but this may take a while as I have a bunch of them in the Line Islands. The island has 284 Aviation Support and one Air HQ. Five B-17E ACUs and one B-17D ACU ready to bomb the Level 2 Airfield at Tulagi (there is one LB-30 ACU that can also hit Tulagi from Noumea). The Airfield will expand to the needed level eight in the next ten to 15 days, at this point we will resume bombing Tulagi.

Operation Honeycomb
The reserve landing is green lighted, we have the 40th US Infantry Division, 110th Combat Engr Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 223rd FA Bn will attack Baker Island from Christmas Island. All units are prepping and are around 100%. The needed lift is at the island just waiting to see if the smaller landing to return and then we set sail for the second try, should stat loading next turn.

Operation Mr. T

Operation Cookie-Crisp

2. ComAirNoPac HQ-A will relocate from Anchorage to Dutch Harbor and then to Adak.

Amchitka:
Port 1, Airfield 3(4)-18%, Fort 3(9)-46% and Supplies 15K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group, US Sep Inf Reg and CD Art Bn. There is one and a P-40E ACU operating out of this base.

Ulak Island:
Port 1, Airfield 0(2), Fort 1(6)-19% and Supplies 3K. One Canadian Inf Bn and one USA FA Bn defending.

Adak Island:
Port 2, Airfield 2(4)-52%, Fort 3(9)-62% and Supplies 26K. Units defending Cst AA Rgt, Base Group and two Canadian Inf Bn. One P-40E ACU is at the base.

Dutch Harbor:
Port 5(3)-24%, Airfield 1(0)-05%, Fort 4(9)-53%, Supplies 71K and Fuel 15K. Units defending three Cst AA Rgt's, one FA Bn, one CD Art Bn, one USN Base Force, two Const Rgt, one Aviation Engr Bn, one Port Maint Engr Bn, the North Pacific HQ and one USA Sep Inf Reg. There is one PBY ACU operating out this base. Working there are three ACMs at Dutch Harbor and I will deploy 150 mines to help hold the island and keeps subs out of the port. There are two AO, two KVs and one AKE in the port to support the forward fleet.

Amphibious Assault at Gebe (80,105)
Amphibious Assault at Ontong Java (115,131)
Amphibious Assault at Tacloban (81,85)

Gebe
Kai-eilanden
Taberfane
Ontong Java

None.

Pegu (not sure how this happened but it looks like his supply lines to Rangoon are Cut!!!!![&o]

Attachments
PEARL.jpg
PEARL.jpg (223.17 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Ground War Rangoon

I come out ahead on both Bombardments despite having less guns, I suspect the issue he has is that his supply is cut. I am going to order my forces to bombard as well until he takes Pegu as he must be running out of supply and any damage I do know makes my life easier in the long run.

I have a supply convoy with 3,000 supply unloading now and one with 8,700 supply that will arrive in two days.

Attacking force 43445 troops, 542 guns, 128 vehicles, Assault Value = 1482
Defending force 32239 troops, 273 guns, 294 vehicles, Assault Value = 894

Japanese ground losses:
64 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
114th Infantry Regiment
56th Infantry Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
112th Infantry Regiment
21st Infantry Regiment
23rd Ind Engineer Regiment
33rd Division
55th Engineer Regiment
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion
15th Army
25th Army
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
55th Mountain Gun Regiment
5th Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st Burma Division
Rangoon BAF Battalion
RM Viper Force
6th Burma Rifles Battalion
17th Indian Division
Burma Corps
103rd RN Base Force
108th RAF Base Force
221 Group RAF
107th RAF Base Force
1st Burma Auxiliary AA Regiment
100th RAF Base Force

Attacking force 43432 troops, 542 guns, 128 vehicles, Assault Value = 1480
Defending force 32215 troops, 273 guns, 294 vehicles, Assault Value = 892

Japanese ground losses:
136 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Attachments
CBI.jpg
CBI.jpg (401.63 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Southwest Pacific

Given RL family and work issues for the next two weeks we should be a little slow on the turns, so I going to take this time to look at the map and see what items need to review and look at.

AirGriff has a very nice submarine picket force deployed!!!! The good news is the that Apple Jacks is going to launch from Fiji and this one base that does not have a large picket force around it. Also given the spotting of the CV Junyo heading to Rabul and the 86 ships reported based there I don't plan on committing the Fleet of Doom to the advance. Too many submarines plus the potential for his land based air and the possible use of the KB is too risky for the fleet CVs.

The Fleet of Doom will support the landings in the North Pacific and then some areas in the Central Pacific until the Enterprise is repaired in 50 days. Two additional Marine dive bomber ACUs are in route now to add to the two A-24s ACUs and one Marine DB on the front.

Apple Jacks and all other operations will be conducted with only xAPs, ADPs, and xAXL that I can afford to lose. The Santa Cruz Force, USN 1st Bat Div and all of the air units currently in theater.

Attachments
NC.jpg
NC.jpg (716.58 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

KB Spotted...How to Respond????????

I am open to any thoughts or comments.... The KB is Sited!!!!!

Have the combat report but waiting on the full turn. Seems the KB was at Rabaul and is now on the move, but he was picked-up by my PBY's and has been tracked. He is one turn (two days) from Luganville and two turns from Baker Island. He can cut that time he half with a full speed run.

I suspect he will head to Baker Island (lay 70% odds) but at normal speed route as running for two days at flank speed to Baker Island would burn most of his fuel and he would take a lot of damage over two days.

The following orders will be issued -----

1. The mine layers now in route to Vanikro will return port at Pago Pago to wait and see.
2. The ACM one day out of Vanikro will continue and disband.
3. The "full" Baker Island force will not start boarding at Christmas Island.
4. The 147th Sep Inf Reg 11 hexes from Baker Island will make a fullspeed run to attack the Island and disembark.
5. The Fleet of Doom will take up position to cover this landing. (71 TB /// 180 F /// 108 DB)
6. The Mini-Fleet of Doom will un-dock from Christmas Island and make the way to cover the landing (37 F).
7. Once the 147th is ashore all naval units will fall back to Christmas Island by way of Canton Island and its two P-40E ACUs to help provide cover.
8. The Santa Cruz and USN 1st Bat Div will hide under land based air, it will only engage to intercept any landings.
9. The second the KB starts to return to base, the forces for Apple Jacks will start loading and then set sail.
10. The five submarines that can make it to Baker Island will deploy to intercept the KB.

As long as he does not head to Baker Island at Flank Speed we should land and get out of the way before he can bring the KB to bear. Even if he does make the flank speed run, I feel pretty good about my chances in a fleet battle, I have PBY coverage and pre-deployed submarines plus 60+ Exp Pilots and 70 primary skill with one one squadron of Devastators deployed as TB bombers everything else has been upgraded.

Attachments
KB_SPOTTED.jpg
KB_SPOTTED.jpg (478.95 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Air Group Reinforcements

I am leaning towards burring 75 P-39D/P-40Es air frames to get back the 36 P-38E air frames. What do other players do? It will cost me airframes, but it allows me replacements for the P-38 (the pool is empty) for the air war over Guadalcanal that is about to start back up. It has a small side benefit of also helping speed up pilot training as well for these three air groups.

Attachments
Planes.jpg
Planes.jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

8 July 42 - 09 July 42 Executive Summary

He continues to clean up the Philippines and the NEI. There the air war in Rangoon is on hold still, he is up to something just not sue what at this time.

Raiding
ASW attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-1, hits 5, heavy damage vs DD Monssen
ASW attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk vs DD Stuart
ASW attack near Pearl Harbor SS I-20, hits 2 vs DD Wilson

There was a lot of other ASW Activity but around Pearl but no other hits, my ASW will again surge from Pearl this turn to hunt the very nice sub field he has deployed. As of the start of Operation Honeycomb we have traded the Enterprise damaged for 53 days (10 of which it would have needed for an upgrade) against up to four dead submarines (I-3,, I-20, RO-61, I-1) and damage to eight more.

Allied Naval Forces

CAR DIV 3 (Enterprise): Reaping at Pearl has 47 days in the yard to repair her battle damage.

The USN 1st Bat Div (Maryland, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Warspite): At Luganville to support operations in the SWPAC area. The Santa Cruz Force is also at Luganville (Chester, Quincy and six Dutch DDs).

Force X (Revenge, Royal Sovereign, Ramillies, Resolution): At Colombo.

Lexington and Saratoga in for their June Upgrades (5 days left) at Pearl harbor. Given the Enterprise in the the shop I now should have enough pilots to outfit all of my CVs with 60+ Exp and 70 Skill pilots. The Enterprise ACU's will now shift to training replacements for the reserve pool.

Mini-Doom: The small CVE fleet, in two separate taffys has been formed. Currently it comprises the Long Island with 17 Marine F2A-3 Buffalo fighters (speed 16) in one. The second one contains the CL Hermes (speed 25) with 20 Sea Hurricane Ib. Both of these set sail to support the 147th Sep Inf Reg Landing at Baker Island.

KB and Mini-KB
Seems the KB was at Rabaul and is now on the move, but he was picked-up by my PBY's and has been tracked. He is one turn (two days) from Luganville and two turns from Baker Island. He can cut that time he half with a full speed run. I suspect he will head to Baker Island (lay 70% odds) but at normal speed route as running for two days at flank speed to Baker Island would burn most of his fuel and he would take a lot of damage over two days.

China
He has continued to bombard from the ground and the air at Wenchow to work to burn off my supplies and damage the airfield, supplies stand at 1.9K (holding). We also have 32K troops in the max stacking of 40K. In two more days two Chines ACU units will be ready to contest the air again for a bit. One to two more turns before I send back in my air force.

Burma
The ground bombardment continues. Intel Monkey shows the 55th Infantry Bde, 33rd Division, 204th Ship Eng Coy, 21st Med FA Bn, 15th Army, 55th Eng Reg, 112th Infantry Reg and 14th Ind. Art. Mortar Bn prepping for Rangoon.

At Rangoon to oppose them I have the 1st Burma Infantry Division, the 17th Indian Infantry Division, three Burma Infantry Bn, three base force Bn, the Burma Corps HQc, 24K of Supplies, Fort 5-67%, two P-40E ACU, and four British fighter ACUs. We have -2 more air frames and the base then we can handle with aviation support and air combat swill reduce this further. There are four HDML's to provide bombardment cover. He has twenty Land units in Rangoon. A sully convoy should unload this turn at Rangoon, with 8,700 supplies.

At Mandalay there are 32K of supplies, three poorly equipped Indian Armored Cav Rgts, the 7th Armored Bde, three Burma Infantry Bn, two base force and Forts 4 - 01%. There is one Burma Inf Bn and one Burma Inf Bde that will fall back from the front to support Mandalay as needed. The armor may strike south if we see a target.

At Port Blair there are four HDML, 1 ACM, 148 mines, 2 Base Forces and the 45th Indian Bde, 41K of Supplies and Fort 3-81%. All land units are 100% prep'd and the leader of the 45ht has been upgraded.

Operation Apple Jacks

At Vanikoro is a Port level 1, the Airfield 4-38% and the Fort 3, 12 PT Boats and one AGP. Looking to scrounge up an ACM and 150 mines. The 1st Marine Raider Bn and the 8th Marine Def Bn, 1st US Naval Construction Bn , 13th MAG HQ, 2nd USMC Parachute Bn, 2/7 Commando Bn and the Del Monte AAF Base Force are at this location. There is one P-39D ACU, two A-24 ACUs, one F4F-3P ACU, one F2A-2 Buffalo ACU, one F4F-3A Wildcat, one SB2U-3 Vindicator and one PBY-5 ACU located at this base.

Luganville is safe with Forts Level 3, Airfield 6-97% two CD LCUs, one ACM, the 2nd Marine Divion + a lot of friends and 148 mines. If I can come up with the PT boats I will also add some here but this may take a while as I have a bunch of them in the Line Islands. The island has 284 Aviation Support and one Air HQ. Five B-17E ACUs and one B-17D ACU ready to bomb the Level 2 Airfield at Tulagi (there is one LB-30 ACU that can also hit Tulagi from Koumac along with an F-4 for recon). Two of the bomber units will rest each turn while the rest bomb Tulagi, the air offensive is a go.

The needed lift is in place in Suva, waiting for the USN 1st Bat Div to arrive to provide surface cover. Once the KB withdraws this operation gets the green light.

Operation Honeycomb
The reserve landing is green lighted, we have the 40th US Infantry Division, 110th Combat Engr Bn, 763rd Tank Bn and the 223rd FA Bn will attack Baker Island from Christmas Island. All units are prepping and are around 100%. The loading of these units are on hold till the actions of the KB are "known", at this time the 147th Sep Inf Reg 11 hexes from Baker is ordered to make a full speed run to land on the island.

Operation Mr. T

Operation Cookie-Crisp

None.

Tacloban

None.

None.

Attachments
burma.jpg
burma.jpg (456.12 KiB) Viewed 49 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

ORIGINAL: rook749

Air Group Reinforcements

I am leaning towards burring 75 P-39D/P-40Es air frames to get back the 36 P-38E air frames. What do other players do? It will cost me airframes, but it allows me replacements for the P-38 (the pool is empty) for the air war over Guadalcanal that is about to start back up. It has a small side benefit of also helping speed up pilot training as well for these three air groups.

The more I play the game the more I release there is so much I don't know. It just occurred to me that now that I have these squadrons filed out with P-39Ds (freed up 36 P-38Es) I can actually use them for both training but also hold them near the front as needed!

If I understand restricted units correctly I rail them to Seattle, turn on drop tanks and then fly them 19 hexes to Annetrte (West Coast, 19 Hexes). From there fly them to Anchorage (West Coast, 20 Hexes). From there I can fly to Dutch Harbor (60 PPs to change to West Coast, 17 Hexes). From there to Adak Island (West Coast, 10 Hexes).

I may lose some planes in transit, but this would give me three fighter units that can train pilots or as needed be used at the front until March of 1944 until they withdraw. Makes using 75 P-39s for this a lot less pain full. I will withdraw the one squadron using P-40E from the area and transfer it to the SWPAC.

Or is there some reason the units can't be air relocated as I describe above?

Return to “After Action Reports”