OT: Seeking advice re: overpriced coffee beverage spilled onto laptop

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Gil R.

OT: Seeking advice re: overpriced coffee beverage spilled onto laptop

Post by Gil R. »

About 20 min. ago I knocked over what remained of my iced mocha while working in a coffee shop -- yes, I'm one of those people, but since it's near a university this is accepted behavior -- and a decent amount went onto my new Lenovo Thinkpad, mostly at the lower-right where the ENTER key and some number keys on the numbers pad are located, but also some got into the mousepad. I dried what I could, but some must have gotten in. I've now backed up all files that needed it and since the laptop shows no signs of damage my thinking is I should wait about two hours before moving it, so I can be pretty sure everything still in there dried. Do any of you have advice on what, if anything, to do? Is there any need to open it up and clean what got in there, or if there is dried chocolate+espresso residue inside the machine is that okay?

I'd welcome any thoughts on just what to do.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Zap

RE: OT: Seeking advice re: overpriced coffee beverage spilled onto laptop

Post by Zap »

Gil, I have had liquid (tomato soup) and another sauce fall on my keyboard and enter in through the key openings. I immediately turned the board upside down got out as much as I could, In both cases(it was the same board) after it dried I was able to use it. You might encounter some of the keys be a little sticky in that case you may have to open it up to clean.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If sugar was involved in the mocha then yes you'll need to open it up and clean all the affected keys and springs as they will get the sugar on them and be sticky. Even when they dry. Also using a hair dryer blow dryer will help to dry it out.

Then do as I do or made a rule. NEVER have a beverage near a computer keyboard. Never drink over or near a keyboard. Always use closed top lids and drink from a straw or one of those cups that have a slot to drink out of and keep it closed when not in use. Course that's me. But, one does learn from "several" spills that this is the best things to do. [:)]
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Thanks. As of now, only the <ENTER> key next to the numbers pad, which I never use, is sticking significantly, and the <.> key next to it is sticking a bit -- which has zero impact on me. So my only concern would be if dried iced mocha can flake off and become powder and get into more sensitive areas.

aatoysandmore, I've been doing this for 15 or so years, and must have consumed several thousand beverages, and this is the first time it's happened. So you have a good point, but I have a good track record...[:)]
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I wouldn't think any dry particles would or could damage anything. And the fact that a little entered in I would say probably no chance of any damage.
annaclara

Post by annaclara »

really cool thraed
annaclara

Post by annaclara »

such problems are really hard to sort out
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Here's a handy tip:-

Check the pockets of your jeans before putting them in the washing machine. I am unsure if was the wash cycle or the spin cycle that did the main damage but either way my mobile phone no longer works.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Ouch. That's rather unfortunate.

I'm pleased to report that my laptop is fully functional, other than those sort of sticky keys.

Sadly, this means that I don't have an excuse to delay "Brother Against Brother" further. In fact, I'm about to spend an hour or so adding column's of x's to various data files. You don't want to know...

Return to “General Discussion”