Maria y Victoria...

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

cwemyss

Maria y Victoria...

Post by cwemyss »

I realized I haven't been posting AARs! I played Maria and Victoria last night and this afternoon, in between a boatload of real life.

I sank the minesweeper at the mouth of Estrecho de San Carlos (Falkland Sound to the hated limeys) then went to periscope depth to get an ESM read on what was out there. Spotted a couple helo search radars, decided hanging around up there wasn't smart. Back to 'just above the layer' to wait.

Helloooooo, time compression!

Crept around getting a picture of what was where... lots of contacts. I assumed the three bunched-up "Skunks" without sonars would be the 'Phibs, so I tried to avoid getting picked up by the various sonar-carrying ships. Back and forth between "as deep as possible" and "just above the layer" to avoid detection but maintain a picture.

I got lucky, made it past the screen, and nailed all three 'phibs. As a torpedo was running toward the last one, I got greedy and turned back toward the cans. Bad move... before I could get to firing position I got nailed. I spotted one sonobouy, then the map blinked white, and I was informed that a torpedo (most likely helo-launched) had wiped out the intrepid ARA San Luis.

Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
JSF

RE: Maria y Victoria...

Post by JSF »

Interesting and helpful AAR.I have played this one several times and always lost. Will try it again.
cwemyss

Post by cwemyss »

ORIGINAL: JSF

Interesting and helpful AAR.I have played this one several times and always lost. Will try it again.
Did you ever go back and replay? How did it go?
Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

Thank you for the comments.
I designed it, and seems a lot depends on the random initial position of the sub.
I play it from time to time and even with a favourable initial position I got my sub whacked often.
Any suggestiion to improve this scenario or another Falklands / Malvinas related possible design, please let me know.

Saludos!

Patricio
Image[/img]
JSF

Post by JSF »

ORIGINAL: cwemyss

ORIGINAL: JSF

Did you ever go back and replay? How did it go?

Yes, I did. Lost again and again. maybe I have to dig deeper into Command before playing too much.
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

I played this scenario the other night after reading this post. I sunk three LSL and escaped without an attack. Thinking I just got lucky. Went deep after detecting the approaching TF. I skirted just east of a Type 21 on that flank then turned in to get all three LSL. I then went deep and ran North. Did not see anything besides fishing boats (MSW???) and some SB rest of scenario
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
magi

Post by magi »

interesting....
JSF

Post by JSF »

Well, I´m still trying this one. No surrender! [:)]

My last failure was a progress in as far I as did not lose my sub. But I didn´t get the LSTs, either.
JSF

Post by JSF »

Progress! This time I played the sub-vs-ship-game better. Managed to come in firing position. But then I obviously blundered again: switched to auto-attack-mode. Thus I sunk a FF and one LS. But, alas, no more torps left. The AI wasted torps and soon all 10 AsuW fish were gone and those four left are anti-sub only.

So I stopped and scored a Minor Defeat.
JSF

Post by JSF »

Victory! At last...

Got three LS and scored a Minor Victory with 1.100 points. Had only one torpedo left so I decided not to attack the British FF.

Question is: what is the way to Total Victory? Is it necessary to sink the FF as well?

Return to “After Action Report”