Production issue.

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

moses

Production issue.

Post by moses »

For what it's worth I found the production bug and it seems it would be really easy to fix.

In the upkeep reports, most nations have threshold levels of 40,80,120,180, and 320. The large nations (German, Russian ,USA) have much higher levels. i.e. germans are at 320,420,640,900,1800.
What is happening is that after any save these threshhold levels drop down to the default 40,80,etc level.

This is easy to check. Run some turns and then save. Exit the game and reload the same. Run a complete turn for all countries and then check the upkeep report. You will see that in the most current report you have default values but prior to the save the correct higher values were there each month.

The effect of this is to greatly increase upkeep costs for Germany. Russia and USA. It is most noticeable for Germany as at the start of the game they have upkeep costs actually higher then what they are bring in. So if you load a save you will very quickly start to see large negative values for PP. You're upkeep costs rise to around 180 per turn while you are only producing 120-130 per turn.

I don't know if you guys are still fixing things but this seems like it would be a really easy quick thing to take care of.
doomtrader

RE: Production issue.

Post by doomtrader »

Will check this tomorrow morning!
moses

Post by moses »

Great. I went ahead and tested again.

In grand campaign I set Iceland to human ran three quick turns and saved. Exit and load save. Then I do a quick run through two turns to ensure everyone has generated a new upkeep report. Then shift F12 and change everyone to human control. Sure enough the upkeep reports are fine until after the save. Germany Russia and USA are all at the low default values instead of where they should be.

It's really nice that this game saves all the reports!!
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Yep,

we have found that there was an issue with saving those values.
Working on it now.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Great find. Sure hope they fix it.

However ... something to look at for the developers, is the bug in all scenarios? Is it the current version? I'm playing a PBEM game and do not see this problem.

moses

Post by moses »

Great. My initial post mentioned Germany. Russia,USA. I since noticed a few others are involved Italy,France etc. although these are lessor effects.

As far as I can see the production system is really solid apart from the saving issue. Everything is well documented in the reports and adds up exactly. Not many games have this level of transparency that you get from all the reports. But most new players are going to play Germany right off and get frustrated and confused when their PP's reach negative 100.

Anyway I really like the game. I hope this can still be patched this late in the game.

Good Luck
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: moses

Great. I went ahead and tested again.

In grand campaign I set Iceland to human ran three quick turns and saved. Exit and load save. Then I do a quick run through two turns to ensure everyone has generated a new upkeep report. Then shift F12 and change everyone to human control. Sure enough the upkeep reports are fine until after the save. Germany Russia and USA are all at the low default values instead of where they should be.

It's really nice that this game saves all the reports!!

Which version of the game are you using.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
moses

Post by moses »

1.06. Downloaded from STEAM.[8D]
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

1.06. Downloaded from STEAM.[8D]

In Steam and don't see 1.06, or is it included with the game [&:]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

moses

Post by moses »

On my start screen in the lower left corner it says "Time of Fury v. 1.06".

I haven't patched or done anything other then download from STEAM.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

OK, I see that the STEAM version is already updated, that's good, Thanks [:)]

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

OK, I see that the STEAM version is already updated, that's good, Thanks [:)]

My version is 1.04 which is what is available on Matrix (listed as a beta). Version 1.05 was listed in these forums but never appeared in the members part of Matrix for download. How is the STEAM version 1.06? What has been upgraded/fixed in the Steam version? Can I upgrade my TOF purchased from Matrix/Slitherine to 1.06?
JRR
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Seconded.

I am dying to play this again, but am frustrated as I never get to complete a game due to the terminal crashes that creep in. Was hoping to see an update that addressed this. Also - I saw the info that ToF was available on Steam (I own a copy direct from Matrix that is many years old), but when I clicked the link, it went straight to the main steam page, and I couldn't find anything by searching either - was it pulled?

(The only link for ToF is called "Time of Fury opening", it's a vid, and if you click on it from your search results, it's a dead link and instead takes you to the main store page.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Mantis

Seconded.

I am dying to play this again, but am frustrated as I never get to complete a game due to the terminal crashes that creep in. Was hoping to see an update that addressed this. Also - I saw the info that ToF was available on Steam (I own a copy direct from Matrix that is many years old), but when I clicked the link, it went straight to the main steam page, and I couldn't find anything by searching either - was it pulled?

(The only link for ToF is called "Time of Fury opening", it's a vid, and if you click on it from your search results, it's a dead link and instead takes you to the main store page.

I tried this tonight and got the same result!?? Anyone else have this problem?
JRR
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Yep,

we have found that there was an issue with saving those values.
Working on it now.

Has this Production issue been fixed in the 1.05 patch? If not, will it ever be fixed?

Will patch 1.05 ever be issued with an installer and if so, will it have changes relative to the 1.05 version that was/is available without an installer?

I had high hopes for this game when I first purchased it but ran into some issues that I wasn't particularly happy with (crashes when loading, inability to combine attacks with friendly units belonging to another nation in the same turn, the naval game) but could live with these.

I decided to resume a grand campaign game I started a while ago as the Axis and remembered that I was getting frustrated with what seemed to be unusually low PPs for Germany and came across this thread that has essentially discovered the reason why this does or can occur. It also occurred to me that there seems to be some unanswered questions regarding this issue. Namely, whether this occurs for all nations and in every scenario, and whether it has been fixed or will be fixed in the future.

I was willing to try the game again but this is a major game breaking issue in my opinion to the point where I'm thinking of requesting a refund.

I understand there may be a workaround by checking the reports and manually topping up PPs to what they should be, but how would one apply this workaround if the issue also occurs for the AI? I suppose checking each nation individually and changing ownership with F12 to readjust PPs would be the way to go but this would be painstakingly ridiculous and totally unnecessary when a simple fix could be applied.

Sorry for the somewhat ranting nature of this post but I really had high hopes for this game but feel hesitant to get back into playing it.

I also understand that there are issues with combat modifiers (armour in city modifier being applied when not in a city, defenders not always getting terrain effects benefits...). This too seems like a big game breaker. Has it been fixed and if not, will it ever be?

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
jbastow

Post by jbastow »

Where are we on a fix for this? I just started a new thread on this because I didn't find this one, but I am still running into that problem. Is there a way to edit the save game files to fix this? It appears like it is stored in countries.csv, but I can't figure out an edit that fixes it in a saved game. This makes it very hard to play right now since all of my saved games are messed up.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

No fix for the upkeep bug as far as I know, but it's easy to get around it by using the shift-F12 on the Steam version, or F12 on the 1.05 Matrix version, and manually restoring your PPs to the proper level whenever the bug hits.

AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Doesn't that screw over the AI though making the game factually unplayable vs the AI?

Also - what's the REAL unkeep that would be paid since the game itself does the math wrong?
akos01

Post by akos01 »

ORIGINAL: Cohen_slith

Doesn't that screw over the AI though making the game factually unplayable vs the AI?

Also - what's the REAL unkeep that would be paid since the game itself does the math wrong?

Hi,

I've written a detailed answer just now in the 'Bug fix' topic, hope it will help. I doesn't have any problem with that solution, works as designed every time.

Return to “Time of Fury”