[Canceled] Ultimate Research Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Unforeseen

[Canceled] Ultimate Research Mod

Post by Unforeseen »

This mod will be a pretty big overhaul of Distant Worlds Research.

It will utilize what we've learned from the now abandoned Balance Mod by Locarnus, and various other mods and concepts from around the forums to create a completely new experience for Distant Worlds.

I've placed this project on my priorities list after Completing other projects such as Expanded Weapons FX and updating DWOM. In the mean time: If you have any ideas or suggestions at all, I want to hear them. This is a pretty big project and assistance from the community will be greatly appreciated!!

As always my Mods are intended to be integrated into my Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod which can be found in my signature.
ParagonExile

RE: Ultimate Research Mod

Post by ParagonExile »

Make sure you buff the "second-class" weapons like gravatics, missiles and railguns. They need some love.

Maybe increase the effectiveness of racial technologies, and make each race have a substantially different tree.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I am planning to utilize AI Improvement Mod or use it as a basis to create something of that nature.

One thing i wanted to bring up before i head to work is that if anything i'd like to create some sort of a laser specialized branch. I don't know how well it would work but it's a thought. Basically you already have the pulse blaster leading off into a tree, you would then also have a "laser cannon" on the same level and it would lead off into other weapons such as the shatterforce laser. Effectively separating Light based weaponry from Particle weapons. Both branches would have their own planet destroyer at the end of the tree. I am just unsure of how to balance this, and i may need alot of help with this.

I'm creating this mod more of as a community project rather than a personal one. What i'm going to do is propose what i want to do, take suggestions and ask you, the community to help me with the fine tuning so that we can get everything working the way WE as a community want it.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

I recommend we form a Modding Team as there are too many "bits and pieces" Mods that are mutually incompatible.

We should aim for one Mega Mod that brings all the pieces together.

I would be happy to focus on the AI Improvement Component of whatever is developed as part of that team.

There are many individuals here that I suggest you reach out to join the effort ...
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Now why do you want to start yet another research mod, Unforeseen? [&:]
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Work together. And don't add stuff for the sake of it ... only if it adds something material and tangible to the game experience or strategy.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I'm open for feedback, that's why I ask.
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: Icemania

I recommend we form a Modding Team as there are too many "bits and pieces" Mods that are mutually incompatible.

We should aim for one Mega Mod that brings all the pieces together.

I would be happy to focus on the AI Improvement Component of whatever is developed as part of that team.

There are many individuals here that I suggest you reach out to join the effort ...

i agree on this point of view
we should actually aim on one megamod
and making all submods compatible with other major ones
and combine efforts in one field with testing and discussion
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

YES

GLORIOUS MEGAMOD

lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Megamod sounds cool. [8D]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Lurchi - My focus was to be immediately compatible with extended and follow along the trend that Locarnus had set. Since your first version is meant to be for vanilla i thought I'd start up a separate project. Then it hit me that the whole community could work together as Icemania suggested.

Some ideas I'd like to put out other than balancing out the already existing weapons:

~The already mentioned Laser tree including the basic Laser Cannon.
~A Plasma Cannon.
~A Coilgun to provide options in the projectile weapon area rather than having no choice but to go for Railguns.
~Alternate versions of weapons...like for instance we take the phaser cannon and have two different kinds..a Pulsed version and a focused beam version. The Beam would probably do more damage at the cost of increased power usage, while the pulsed version would do less damage but cost less power. We could potentially do this for most of the energy/laser weapons in the game if there is space for them.
~Disruptors (The startrek side of the community would love this)
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

Unforeseen, I love the idea that directly support extended since the vast majority use this mod for Variety of races and others. The mod Lurchi also greatly improved in its version 0.3.

As IceMania said would be much more productive if they worked for the extended version with lokarnus base, and the tree of Lurchi and new ideas Unforeseen. be great friends!
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Lurchi - My focus was to be immediately compatible with extended and follow along the trend that Locarnus had set.

[..]

I have good news for you. Take a look in the Research Extended thread. [:)]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

In light of developments made on Lurchi's mod i am canceling this project. Anyone who was interested in this project should go here: tm.asp?m=3658567

Return to “Design and Modding”