Anybody interested in a 25 empire extended mod game?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Jeeves

RE: Anybody interested in a 25 empire extended mod game?

Post by Jeeves »

Maybe later, or if an upgrade breaks my current game. Otherwise I'll probably be playing this one for another 3-5 months.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

https://www.mediafire.com/#adbd2sqngs4ss

Has a 300 Mb zip containing 11 selected saved games from this game.

Attachments
20140716_192111.jpg
20140716_192111.jpg (930.98 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

[X(]
I look forward to checking these out. I may not be able to say much until I finish my exams in one week. Between now and then my free time will be going towards the ai mod. But I will definitely examine this closely as soon as I can :)

Thanks very much.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I plan war with the Wekkarus within 18 months, then Paratis, then Gizureans, then maybe Guardians, otherwise collect empires in the clusters near my early conquests. My empire balance sheet may look bad, but in the pat year I took in over 6 million trading tech for cash. By the time I run out of techs to sell at 30% of market value or more, my balance sheet will be much better from conquests of homeworlds. My reputation has fallen from heroic to notorious, and I was almost evil for a while due to capturing a dozen or so independents quicker than I could gain reputation by giving gifts to AI empires. I plan on conquering just a couple more before I collect racial bonuses by conquests, so I'm not too worried about my reputation. It heals well once you stop conquering independents...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Btw Quameno Alien Immersion package is up!
fb.asp?m=3658019

enjoy, hope you will like it :)
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Hm...I'm having trouble downloading the file. Can you double check the link for me Jeeves?
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

ORIGINAL: Tcby

Hm...I'm having trouble downloading the file. Can you double check the link for me Jeeves?

Hmmm... You're right, the link does not work unless logged in to mediafire. Let me see what I can do about that.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Edit : try this on at :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dcrio ... /LCC4U.zip
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Success! Cheers.
janamdo

Post by janamdo »

Thanks, i installed the extended universe Mod for your play for studying.
I looked at the last one at 2357-06-26 and i noticed that the TERP output is 951 K , while the actual researchfields output for the 3 fields are
1900k,2250,k and 2292 k
The 951 K scientists will be distributed over the 3 research fields, but you have more .. is there a reason for ?
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

It costs very little to have extra research capacity. I will eventually be scrapping those 7 research zone bases and all of the supply depots, which will bring my total down dramatically. In some games I've played, my potential reached 1500k before I had learned all tech, but mostly the asymptotic curve keeps research potential down so the smaller empires can compete...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Edit : Oh I just realized you wanted to know why I had more OUTPUT than my potential. Well there are threads discussing research output, but I'm too lazy to point to one. Basically I have an ultra genius scientist, my racial bonus, my government bonus, and my bonuses for scientists researching at special research locations. That gives me a huge multiplier...

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
janamdo

Post by janamdo »

Thanks !
Seems to me that someone must as soon a possible stay on the par with the TERP number , because all effort/anttention done for the actual output what is more than the TERP number is a waste of time ..or the research facilitities offers extra strategical elements ?
( it is like a chess game : every unnecessary move slows you down in your strategical movement [:)] )
Minimal research time for a maximum in tech development .. how do you get this ..
The speed of research is important..the population is growing so also the TERP number and so the number of research station
If say you could do it with 5 research station and you wil add double of them, then it takes 1/2 time, so research speed is increasing.
Forgive me when i miss something..
BUT you cannot more assign scientists to labs than the TERP number!
You can construct research facilities who are capable of housing more scientist , but your empire has only a number TERP scientist to go to those labs
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

The TERP is applied to your lab CAPACITY to determine the split on the three tech areas. You get MORE than TERP when bonuses are applied to actually utilized capacity, generally 1.5 to 4 times more. If you crash research an area, then you get triple that rate until the tech being crashed is learned.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Edit : Guide to guides see research list

tm.asp?m=3497284
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
janamdo

Post by janamdo »

BUT you cannot more assign scientists to labs than the TERP number!
You can construct research facilities who are capable of housing more scientist , but your empire has only a number TERP scientist to go to those labs

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Hmm, well I don't consider a few thousand extra purchase and maintenance cost for extra labs to be an obstacle, on a budget that is millions per year. If you don't like having more capacity than is actually usable, then just scrap the labs you think are excess...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
janamdo

Post by janamdo »

It takes also time and extra attention ( you might get distracted by this ) .. why doing something with no use ? ( strictly spoken ), but perhaps there is a use for the overbuild? --> research speed ?
Keeping it as simple as possible is always the best strategy!
janamdo

Post by janamdo »

Thanks @Lonnie for your save files..gives a tremendous insight how you setup your game.
Now i can imagine how much time it takes..
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Well I manage everything, and once the game is into the second decade it averages 20+ minutes per day, including strategy review and managing miners... I spend over 80 hours per week playing, being unemployed and having nothing better to do with my time.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Keston

Post by Keston »

Reading various explanations of research tends to get me confused.

Just to get it clear, someone who fully understands this please confirm if is it correct that

Research Points actually applied to research cannot exceed the Research Potential number in the upper right of the Research Screen except that

- bonuses listed on the right column under Research Potential increase the Research Potential cap, allowing more of the available RPs to be applied to actual research (rather than multiplying research output, output being wasted to the extent over capacity)

- crash projects and anything else that speeds research in an area multiplies the effect of research points applied to developing the technology being worked on in that area.

Thanks

johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

[ol][*]Weapon Research = min(Potential, Total Capacity) * (Weapon Capacity / Total Capacity) * Weapon Bonuses
[*]Energy Research = min(Potential, Total Capacity)* (Energy Capacity / Total Capacity) * Energy Bonuses
[*]HiTech Research = min(Potential, Total Capacity) * (HiTech Capacity / Total Capacity) * HiTech Bonuses
[/ol]
Crash research = multiply that by 3.

So basically, keep Total Capacity (bottom left) just a bit higher than Research Potential (top right). Everything else is then just a ratio between how much labs and bonuses you have.

Edit: use min(Potential, Total Capacity) instead of just Potential.
janamdo

Post by janamdo »

My understanding of this TERP number ( total empire research potential ) is this... the actual research output for the 3 fields (weapons, energy /research,...) are summed up so it make no sense if it is larger than TERP.
TERP are the available scientists in your empire and the actual research output is the labcapacity for housing those scientist
Simply put you can build 1000 labs , but when there is one scientist in your empire to go to that lab...

Why there is a bonus ? ... a standard lab with a bonus can house more scientist than normally the case is...so you need less labs to get the TERP number.
http://distant-worlds.wikispot.org/Rese ... Technology
wiki :
It is useless to build more laboratories than your research potential can handle, so knowing this number can be helpful when considering your investments.
Try to optimize Research Lab building and the amount of lab space (TRC) and get that number at or slightly above the TERP, because excessive (and in the end, empty) labs will only cost you money. On the other hand there is of course no harm in having more lab space available (if you are not short on money), as this is for instance good for future expansion, providing you will have your colonies gradually grow and increase in their culture quality. In the end your strategy is yours to follow, the above is just a recommendation for optimized behavior.
Correct when i am wrong..

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”