Counter intelligence and agent advancement

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Yarasala

Counter intelligence and agent advancement

Post by Yarasala »

When do agents on counter intelligence duty advamce their abilities? Only if they successfully prevent an attack? If so, that would mean that some agents sit there for years and years without ever being able to prevent anything since they are still listet as "untestet".

Are we always informed about successful enemy stealing attacks ("xyz managed to escape after having successfully stolen abc") or only when they are just barely successful?

I feel left quite in the dark as far as enemy intelligence actions against my empire are concerned. There should be a possiblilty to get an idea what happened even if you weren't able to prevent it. Perhaps counter intelligence agents ahould also have an ability that finds out about past enemy attacks by reviewing computer and access logs, lokking into strange reports, investigate dubious murders and so on to give you a yearly report like "There have been hints that some of our research progress was stolen", perhaps varied by the accurracy of the gathered information.

Btw, how calculates the game exactly when new agents appear? How much does one or more Spy academies influence this? I seem to remember that I once (in Shadows?) build some of these, but could never see any siginficant effect ...

Edit: I just had a message "[agent] of [empire] managed to escape when our forces detected them attempting to steal our territory map". Still no advancement of my currently only agent being on counter intelligence duty, still listed as "untested" ...
Nanaki

RE: Counter intelligence and agent advancement

Post by Nanaki »

- When they find an enemy agent, or when they are boosted by other characters with 'Inspiring Presence', infact, actual actions provide next to nothing in experiance, a vast majority of your 'experiance' will come from characters with inspiring presence, which is why I usually forbid such characters from partaking in any intelligence missions.

- You are only informed of enemy intelligence missions if they were detected. You are not informed of enemy intelligence missions if they were successful and got away.

- Intelligence agents tend to flow like water, however you have a max of 6 unless you are playing a race with +1 extra intellgience agents, in which case your max is 6 + extra intelligence agents, so 7 for Humans, Haakonish, etc. and 9 for Ketarov. Spy academies do get you replacements faster and you will be needing them.

- That means he did not catch the perps. Generally, when an enemy intelligence mission fails, a random character on counterintelligence duty is seen as having 'done the deed', if that character has unknown stats they get revealed.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Yarasala

RE: Counter intelligence and agent advancement

Post by Yarasala »

ORIGINAL: Nanaki
- When they find an enemy agent, or when they are boosted by other characters with 'Inspiring Presence', infact, actual actions provide next to nothing in experiance, a vast majority of your 'experiance' will come from characters with inspiring presence, which is why I usually forbid such characters from partaking in any intelligence missions.
No so sure about "when they find an enemy target". Obviously the messages "xyz managed to escape after having successfully stolen abc" and "[agent] of [empire] managed to escape when our forces detected them attempting to steal our territory map" tell me that an enemy intelligence agent was found at work, but no advancement of my only counter intelligence agent happend.
- You are only informed of enemy intelligence missions if they were detected. You are not informed of enemy intelligence missions if they were successful and got away.
Not exactly. "xyz managed to escape after having successfully stolen abc" tells me the enemy was successful and got away, but somehow I managed to find that out.
- Intelligence agents tend to flow like water, however you have a max of 6 unless you are playing a race with +1 extra intellgience agents, in which case your max is 6 + extra intelligence agents, so 7 for Humans, Haakonish, etc. and 9 for Ketarov. Spy academies do get you replacements faster and you will be needing them.
But depending on race I sometimes have very fast several agents, sometimes I never had more than two. Hence the question how the game calculates exactly when an agent appears.
- That means he did not catch the perps. Generally, when an enemy intelligence mission fails, a random character on counterintelligence duty is seen as having 'done the deed', if that character has unknown stats they get revealed.
As I stated above exactly that doesn't seem to happen, my agent is still "untested".

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”