Engine Use during R&D (1.7.11.23x4)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Freedom205

Engine Use during R&D (1.7.11.23x4)

Post by Freedom205 »

Perhaps I should ask this in the beta thread, but I have noticed now that I am into May of 42 that my engine usage (HA35) is quite a bit higher than aircraft I am producing. IE. I might build 9 single engine and 2 twin engine aircraft in a turn that use HA35 ( 13 total engines ) but my engine pool drops more than double of what I used. ( adjusted for new HA 35 engines produced that turn also )

I have quite a few factories researching aircraft that use HA 35s so I am assuming this is where they are going, but dont remember ever reading that this happens in the manual.

Thanks

Mike
Lokasenna

RE: Engine Use during R&D (1.7.11.23x4)

Post by Lokasenna »

You need to have 500+ engines in the pool for the R&D factories to consume an engine.
czert2

Post by czert2 »

jup one engine per airplane design using him. And i think it is worth it :).
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: czert2

jup one engine per airplane design using him. And i think it is worth it :).

It's per fully repaired R&D factory but only used up if the factory generates an a/c research point bonus.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

thanks for the opening of this thread - there is so much to learn about this.

If I have
534 engines
I am using 12 in plane production this turn
and I have 15 factories in R&D (let's say in one city/plant)

I should have
507 engines at the end of the turn
(plus however many engines I decide to build to keep up over 500)
and I will have produced 15 extra R&D points?
or 1 extra R&D point for the 1 city/plant?

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

uh no. You should check out my Primer http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605 for the details on this. It is section 4

But basically the most R&D points you can get per day is 2. If you have 30 fully repaired R&D factories of a particular AC you get 1 point/day. If you have less than that it is a random chance if a R&D point is generated. So 20 R&D factories would provide a higher chance than 2 on a daily basis.

You can then get 1 point for 500+ engines in the pool, 499 zero. IIRC production occurs before R&D so production 'could' lower the pool before R&D is calculated. But if you had 500+ engines for the entire month AND 30 fully repaired R&D factories for the same period you would have gotten 60 R&D points towards the 100 you need for a month's advance.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

uh no. You should check out my Primer http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605 for the details on this. It is section 4

But basically the most R&D points you can get per day is 2. If you have 30 fully repaired R&D factories of a particular AC you get 1 point/day. If you have less than that it is a random chance if a R&D point is generated. So 20 R&D factories would provide a higher chance than 2 on a daily basis.

You can then get 1 point for 500+ engines in the pool, 499 zero. IIRC production occurs before R&D so production 'could' lower the pool before R&D is calculated. But if you had 500+ engines for the entire month AND 30 fully repaired R&D factories for the same period you would have gotten 60 R&D points towards the 100 you need for a month's advance.

Thank you.

So much to learn.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

thanks for the opening of this thread - there is so much to learn about this.

If I have
534 engines
I am using 12 in plane production this turn
and I have 15 factories in R&D (let's say in one city/plant)

I should have
507 engines at the end of the turn
(plus however many engines I decide to build to keep up over 500)
and I will have produced 15 extra R&D points?
or 1 extra R&D point for the 1 city/plant?

30 is the optimum size for a R&D factory. It produces research point per day and will, if engines >500 it also produces 1 bonus point and uses 1 engine every day. As Numdydar said anything less than 30 gives a randomised chance.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Is this calculated on a specific date (end of month) or does it accrue across whatever 30 day period you can maintain 500+ engines.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It is a daily check.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Research (Engine or Aircraft) takes place daily - there is no monthly accrual. The reason Chris says that 30 is the ideal sized factory is because of the math involved in determining the likelihood each turn of an R&D factory producing advancement for each particular line. There are a number of good threads on R&D if you search for them, but the short answer is that R&D takes place every turn, not just once per month.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Thanks again, to all.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”