NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - Between the Storms

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SierraJuliet

RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) - Reluctant Admiral

Post by SierraJuliet »

Isn't that why we take on the side flying the rising sun. Don't think... just ATTACK! [:D]
ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Yeah, the Alaska move would strictly be a feint in this game if I try it.

I am inclined to play the long game but I will study the possibility of a SOPAC plus the easily taken portions of OZ as an auto vic strategy.

Hardest thing for Japan is that when you really think about it the best strategy is not to attack at all. [;)]
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Been watching and reading the Posts.

The better question to ask Cribtop is what do you KNOW of your opponent? How will he react to the Opening of the war? Will he seek combat or Sir Robin? Will he wait, watch, and THEN strike?

I know these answers since Michael and I are close but I wanted to see if you had thought about this?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
SierraJuliet

Post by SierraJuliet »

Excellent question John.

Not that I've got a lot of GCs under my belt but that question of what will the Allied opponent do does cause me a lot of pondering time. How, indeed, to achieve your objectives and stay flexible to counter the Allied reaction is a worthy topic to contemplate.

So, Cribtop, how well do you know your opponent?
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

That is a good question, and candidly I don't know him well.

What I do know is that Michael is very experienced with production, logistics, training, etc. He is clearly intelligent and knows the nuances of the game in detail.

What I DON'T know is whether he is aggressive, passive or somewhere in between. I would be interested to hear from those who have played Michael or read his AARs.

I personally am aggressive but not crazy. I love the offensive but not to the extent that my pants are blowing in the wind.

I am thus expecting a competent and fairly active defense, but not expecting wild early adventures from Michael. Am I way off or spot on? It does matter, no doubt.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

I am jealous that your AAR exceeds 500 hits before a single AAR... ;]

I'm blushing about this a bit myself. Thanks for the great support, readers! When we get started I may win, lose or draw, but either way I hope it's an entertaining show.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Let's leave the strategy discussion open while we move to another question: R&D.

As I understand it, the A6M4 is a land-based IJNAF interceptor of some value in this mod.

My general R&D plan is to pursue the Zero, Tojo, Frank and George lines pretty heavily. Lesser but useful emphasis to the Jill and Judy. Finally, just for fun I'd like to put a factory or two working on the Sam. For the IJAAF, the Helen will be the main weapon, with the Peggy researched as well. This area is not my strong suit, so please jump in with advice.
obvert

Post by obvert »

As I understand it the dates are advanced for most of the important planes anyway, so I'd concentrate a bit more on the Sam. It's a really good plane. I'd also throw a bit into the Ki-83. Gies you some potential for sweeps late and is great for LR CAP as well.

Make sure to look at the NF lines in this one, and get one factory for each NF plane you are able to use. You'll want ALL NF you can get late. It's also important to look at the paths of upgrading to the various NF which are sometimes obscure.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

You'll get Jill and Judy earlier. The M4 Zero is a solid performer who can stay competitive into 1943, however, it is only used for LBA. Concur on Mister SAM. Good plane there.

As to Michael--a few tidbits--he:

1. Always places a Marine Fighter Squadron on his CVs so they pack 45 or so fighters EACH.
2. He loves to combine the Brits and Americans to create an Allied 'Death Star' way early.
3. Training his pilots so they can compete is a big thing so sometimes he won't even fight early in the war in the air.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Good info gents. How many factories should be allocated to a plane I "want?" 3X30? More?
JuanG

Post by JuanG »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Good info gents. How many factories should be allocated to a plane I "want?" 3X30? More?

At least.

I have a total of 7 size 30s split between the two Zero lines in my RA game, and those seem to be doing a solid job. For later aircraft I will probably aim for similar numbers, depending on how the industry is doing (RA is really harsh on this one, I nearly wrecked mine in February/March due to my attention being elsewhere). I do not plan to convert any R&D facilities to production, but rather either move to the next model down or to another airframe as needed.

Also, apologies for not getting anything to you on the signature front yet, but I have yet to come up with anything adequate, and frankly looking at the lovely piece obvert put together I don't think I have any chance of being competitive...[:'(]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Protect your early oil/refinery captures really quickly with air power...just saying.[8|]
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I think you make it look like you are going for auto-vic early to keep him unbalanced (OODA loop and all that), but all the while play for the long game. Part of the deception is not even telling us readers.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Subscribed!!!!!!![&o]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

GREAT NEWS. I just got RA 7.0 finished. Juan has already done his off-map aircraft upgrades done so it is finished.

This means I have a real chance of having Between the Storms READY by Tuesday. You boys will be able to RUMBLE at that point.

BANZAI!

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Nice - thanks for the hard work John!
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I see a welcome and familiar face lurking in the shadows. You have gathered a lot of attention [;)]

Attachments
Birthday.jpg
Birthday.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 274 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Come back Dan!!!!![&o]
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

We miss you dan!!
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

DAN!!!!

I'm not sure we can truly express how much he added to the community, and how much we all miss him.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Two points here:

1) On R&D, I may then look to go with 7ish factories committed to the following models: Zero line, Tojo line, Frank, George, Ki-83, Sam. Lesser commitments to Helen and Peggy. Sounds like Judy and Jill come early anyway. What commitments to night fighters should I make? What implications arise from the engines all of these planes use (I haven't checked but will soon)? Perhaps most importantly, given the tradeoffs inherent in the mod, starting reserves of supply, oil and fuel are lower than stock. Until I conquer the DEI, should I set this up and hold off on actually repairing some or all of the factories? IMHO the slow speed of R&D repair would tell me it's fine to let it ride, but I'm not sure.

2) Back on strategy, I have wondered for some time whether there is a certain "minimum overextension" option to go for auto victory, and a recent PM has me thinking along those lines again. In other words, beyond the "normal" perimeter, what is the minimum bases needed for a real shot at auto vic? Is this at all viable or is it necessary to go big in India, Oz, etc? The basic idea might be normal conquests plus the big SOPAC bases (Noumea, Fiji, etc) plus a heavy push in China plus whatever is needed to go "over the top." Is that Perth? More? I haven't crunched any numbers on this, has anyone else? I am leery of going for an Indian conquest or a total occupation of Oz (remember Between the Storms add lots of ships but few troops). Is there another way?

Return to “After Action Reports”