modifying pbem scen data after start

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

guctony

modifying pbem scen data after start

Post by guctony »

Is it possible to change us airplane reinforcement numbers after starting a pbem. In scen editor.
"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal
EHansen

RE: modifying pbem scen data after start

Post by EHansen »

Since you are playing a mod, I think you can. You are Japan, right? Then make your modification to the scenario files and the next time you run a turn there should be an option to update the game. I have to admit that I have not done this and I do not know what can or can not be changed.

One thing I forgot was that the Allied player should also see a message, in the preferences screen(?), to allow or accept the changes.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

You can mod the scen data but I don't think the changes will show up in an ongoing savegame, it's kinda cheating. It might be better to post this in the modders sections as will probably get a better answer there unless one of them comes out
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

What can be updated in an ongoing game is very limited because of the possibility of cheating. Unless Michael made some changes that I don't know about the only time a game in progress can be updated is an official scenario with an official patch.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
JuanG

Post by JuanG »

If you are playing a non-official scenario (Scenario number 26 or higher), then you should be able to make updates.

The way to do this would be to open up the respective scenario in the editor, make the changes (say increase F4F-3 production from X to Y), and then save it to the same slot. Open opening a save game playing that scenario number, it will ask you if you want to update to the latest database. Alternatively this can also be done manually at the bottom of the options page. In both cases the Japanese player must do it, and the Allied player receives a notification upon opening the turn.

Generally, I would advise being very careful with this, as some of the changes you can make work more seamlessly than others. Changes to device values and things like the aforementioned aircraft production numbers or performance numbers should be ok - changes that add new ships / airgroups / LCUs or edit existing ones are notably more troublesome.

I definitely recommend keeping a backup from before any changes, and spending the turn after the upgrade double checking things (this goes for both the Japanese and Allied players) to make sure nothing unintended broke/changed.
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

And checking with any PBEM partners you have before doing something like this... right? I mean, just saying....
JuanG

Post by JuanG »

ORIGINAL: darbymcd

And checking with any PBEM partners you have before doing something like this... right? I mean, just saying....

Obviously, though as said there is a notification so I doubt it could be done underhandedly, though I do think the notification could be a little more obtrusive than it is currently (for example by requiring an acknowledgement like the pwhex data notification). I would expect the process to be that both players would agree to a list of changes, maybe even cross-inspect the scenario files before applying the update, and then as said do an ingame check after the update to make sure nothing undesired changed.

Also, if you have two games based on the same scenario (lets say RA 6.6, Scen#50), and you make an edit to that scenarios files, it will ask you about updating for both games. If you are only looking to change it for one of these, then after declining the changes on the other, it should not ask you again, and will have no effect on that game.

You can even go and restore the edited scenario's data to default after updating the desired game, and I would actually recommend doing that so any changes don't accidently carry over if you start a new game with that scenario.
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

you say obviously but.... Anyway, it might be disconcerting to get the message that the DB had been edited in the middle of a game, even if you have the chance to refuse the change. In fact, if I was the partner of someone in a game, I would find asking this question slightly disconcerting....
JuanG

Post by JuanG »

ORIGINAL: darbymcd

you say obviously but.... Anyway, it might be disconcerting to get the message that the DB had been edited in the middle of a game, even if you have the chance to refuse the change. In fact, if I was the partner of someone in a game, I would find asking this question slightly disconcerting....

I guess it depends on how much you trust your opponent, and your general outlook on playing a game that can and should last several years real-time. To me its very much an 'obviously', as it should be something agreed between both parties, just like any scenario customization that might be done before a game, or house rules for a game.

I would definitely agree that getting notified without expecting it would be a cause for concern, and should definitely be brought up and cleared with your opponent before you do play said turn.

In theory it could happen by accident, particularly if the scenario you are playing is new/under development and your opponent is working on it. I know when I created my AltWNT scenarios I had to (as the Japanese player) turn down scenario updates to PBEMs as a result of further work on those scenarios. As a result, I would advise (and do so myself nowadays) anyone in that position to do their development work in a different install to avoid the risk of this happening.
czert2

Post by czert2 »

from ym exp, when you modify custom scenario only very few things are carried to existing game - like aircraft perfomance, devices on planes/ships - for lcu it only work if they are read from toe.
other mods like adding more/less units, expanding thier size, modifing pool sizes - need new game.
and others like expanding off-map production of devices/planes - absolutely no idea.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Now if you co-ordinated this with a patch you could talk your opponent into "just click the button"

Best chance I have to refloat those 4 CV sunk off Kure Island!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”