Default Save behavior is odd... Doesn't ask for a name

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

corwin90

Default Save behavior is odd... Doesn't ask for a name

Post by corwin90 »

I find the default 'Save Game' feature rather odd. In my most games / programs, I would expect the default behavior to ask me what I want to call the save game. This game doesn't. Or, if it doesn't ask me the name, then I would at least expect it to tell me what it saved it as. It doesn't seem like it does that either. Or, it would save the game with some reasonable name. It doesn't seem to do that either. It seems like the default 'Save Game' feature does exactly the same as the Autosave which seems to save the game to one of five names like 'Autosave 1' through 'Autosave 5'. This is just so extremely odd. Every single time, I have to train myself to use 'Save Game as...'. Then the program actually creates a file with the year in it and one that I can customize to my heart's content. It is just such a PITA every time I go to save the game.
Airpower

RE: Default Save behavior is odd... Doesn't ask for a name

Post by Airpower »

In my experience, the game only gives you the option to specify a save after you start a new game. If you are resuming play of a previous game by loading a save, the game auto-saves to whatever file you loaded automatically.

Is that what you're seeing? Or are you not even given the option to save when you try to save a newly-started game?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

When you save it overwrites the file you loaded. If you use "Save as", it suggests the empire name and date as the name on the save file.

So if you don't want to overwrite, "save as".
corwin90

Post by corwin90 »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

When you save it overwrites the file you loaded. If you use "Save as", it suggests the empire name and date as the name on the save file.

So if you don't want to overwrite, "save as".

Wow! That explains a lot. And it is is significantly more horrifying. Thanks!
UhuruNUru

Post by UhuruNUru »

If "Save as" is used the default name is your Race Name and current in Game Date.
The auto saves doesn't overwrite the "Save as", it has 5
Autosave1.dwg
Autosave2.dwg
Autosave3.dwg
Autosave4.dwg
Autosave5.dwg

So not a direct overwrite, but a Last 5 autosaves only kept. they are not incremented so Autosave1 is not always the latest, the oldest just gets replaced and becomes the latest whatever it's number is.

Using just "Save" makes an on demand autosave. To make a permenant save yuo must use "Save as"

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”