GD1938 Game 11

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 Game 11

Post by cpdeyoung »

The French pushed the Germans away from Stuttgart, and our troops liberated, and occupy, Amsterdam. The Germans are at war with the Soviets, but it may be for show. The Soviets are firmly in charge in Scandinavia.

The Royal Navy is beginning to address the situation in the Far East.

Alan Brooke
24 June 1940
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

German actions against Sweden came at a complete suprise, both Norway and Sweden have been increasing diplomatic ties to the Soviet Union over many turns.

In one unnanounced action, Germany had declared war on a loyal ally and disrupted intense diplomatic efforts by their former ally.

The situation now will have to be reevaluated.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I have been thinking, and talking with others, about the status of the war. Perhaps the most interesting development is the declaration of war against the Soviet Union by Germany. We have long been worried about the Soviet's intentions. The forces across their southern borders have been maintained in case the Red Army decided to strike south. The curious quiet in Eastern Europe, with Poland calmly at peace, despite two neighbors who have proven anti-Pole in the past has been a cause of speculation.

I have wondered about the passive nature of the German war making in the west. France has hardly been attacked, and Germany shows no great desire to hold ground once taken in Belgium and Holland. Perhaps Germany does not care about the west, and is more interested in goals to the north and east. Perhaps she no longer trusts her ally and wants to focus her efforts on crippling the Red Army. How strong is that Red Army? I have only seen a few subs, and three unidentified units in Turkey. This leads to speculation that with no combat losses and many production cycles their forces may be very, very substantial.

If full scale war comes between Germany and the USSR what should the Franco-British response be? The Soviets cannot ask more of our forces. We have been waging an active battle, and with some success. Bomber Command has begun a strategic bombing campaign against German resources. The RAF has been co-operating with our Tank Corps to pound the Germans. If the Red Army begins to move east they will have a race with us for Berlin.

I am going to check with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office about diplomatic feelers for the Soviets. Let's see if we can shed some light?

Alan Brooke
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Snore, 3 days over a holiday weekend and no turn. Jeez.

Ron Swanson
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The battles in the Low Countries had a different feel this month. We attacked out of Amsterdam, and continued to hurt the Germans, but took losses ourselves. We have pushed the Germans out of Holland and Belgium, but they are just a bit away, and they are in strength. Our strategic bombing flattened the Ruhr, but the Luftwaffe has responded with night fighters and the dark skies over the Reich will be contested.

Evidently the Soviets are "done" with their little war and are ready to get back in an alliance with Germany. France and Great Britain are at war with Germany. The USA and China are at war with Japan. Russia, Italy, and Poland are not at war. This situation is curious.

The Royal Navy reports we now have a "significant" submarine presence in the Far East. This sounds good, although I am not quite sure what it means.

Alan Brooke
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Germans pulled back a bit, although they have very strong panzer troops in Cologne. We did not do a great deal of damage, but we got our licks in. The RAF reports that they damaged a panzer factory, knocking out about 2/3 of production. Our new radar-equiped night fighters hurt the German night fighters, who may not know what hit them. Radar is a secret weapon for us, although the Germans may well research it now.

In the Med, and off the coast of Norway the Royal Navy attacked Red Fleet units. They we successful in all attacks, but took some losses. These attacks were due to a Soviet declaration of war against the British and French, although the French were quickly offered peace. The Red Army attacked us and we struck back. The Soviets also declared war on the Americans, with another offer of peace. It is not impossible there has been a coup. Perhaps we will be offered a peace or ceasefire. The motivation of the Soviets in this war making is a mystery.

Alan Brooke
19 Aug 1940
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Our concerns are really world wide, and the war is shaping up to be one with two great blocks of nations. Great Britain, France, China and the United States are faced off against Germany, Italy, Japan and the USSR. It is true that not all nations are at war, Italy is at peace with all for example, but we expect her to join the Axis powers when, or if, she does come in. The Soviets are at war with us, and allied to the Axis. The Royal Navy announced that a Red Navy submarine pack was sunk off Norway, and The RN shelled Soviet forces in Turkey. The Army took the Black Sea port of Trabizon, and the RN is anxious to build submarines there. There are forces rushing to the middle east to confront Soviet forces nearby.

In Europe we raided into the Ruhr, but did not garrison it as it has no production value left after the air and tank raids. Our night bombers raided an aircraft factory, but we took losses over our expectations. The French struck out of Luxembourg and drove the Germans from the adjacent forests.

We are placing troops along the borders where we might expect Japanese troops soon.

Alan Brooke
16 September 1940
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

We have moved out of Amsterdam and our armor now is poised to attack into Germany. The RAF bombed Cologne, and the Army retook the Ruhr.

The Royal Navy reports a large battle in the North Atlantic against Red Navy forces. All enemy surface ships were sunk and the subs are benign hunted down.

In Turkey and east we are fighting the Red Army. Tashkent is surrounded, and Sinope is threatened.

The Swiss joined our cause. In the Far East we watch American progress.

Alan Brooke
October 1940
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Italians have allied with the Soviets and are allowing Red Army forces to pass through their territory and into Turkey. This will mean the Reds will be able to apply massive force there. We will have to bring heavy reinforcements into this region. We can only assume the Soviets have important strategic goals in the middle east. We did take Tashkent which might distract the bear a bit. We have allied with the Chinese and intend to see to it that they remain in the war. The Americans are waging war against the Japanese and at some point we will probably be in this war too.

We have captured and occupied the Ruhr and a Tank production area in Germany. Our night strategic bombing campaign has leveled an aircraft factory.

Commando forces have captured Bergen from the Soviets. The troops burned the aircraft they found there and occupy the port This is a raid on the periphery of the Soviet Empire, but it may encourage him to garrison his long coastline. We sank the remaining subs in the North Atlantic.

Ireland has joined our cause.

Alan Brooke
November 1940
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

The Soviets are allying with Germany, well that's a vipers nest So its Soviet Union Germany Italy and Japan against Uk France and the USA/China. That's a tester. Thanks for the posts but you seem to be the only one posting.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Soviets have played the German's handmaiden from the beginning of the game. Poland was never attacked, and the Baltic states have only recently been taken. There appeared to be a bit of miscommunication over Scandinavia, but as soon as this was worked out the USSR went into full alliance with the Axis.

The French are strong and vibrant, and the French resources feed allied mouths, rather than German ones. On the other hand the Germans do not have to worry about a second front, and British resources must be directed to the active front with the Soviet Union. It is not what we expected.

Alan Brooke
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

In Europe our armour has captured Cologne after a massive raid by the RAF.

The Japanese objected to one of our units which moved into China, and I ordered it pulled back. If the Chinese do not tread lightly we may enter the war with Japan over neutrality violations.

The new year approaches.

Alan Brooke
9 December 1940
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

The Soviets have played the German's handmaiden from the beginning of the game. Poland was never attacked, and the Baltic states have only recently been taken. There appeared to be a bit of miscommunication over Scandinavia, but as soon as this was worked out the USSR went into full alliance with the Axis.

The French are strong and vibrant, and the French resources feed allied mouths, rather than German ones. On the other hand the Germans do not have to worry about a second front, and British resources must be directed to the active front with the Soviet Union. It is not what we expected.

Alan Brooke

I'd say the Germans have played the Soviet proxy. There is no reason for the game to go exaclty as British and/or French expect it to.

The British were a bit too excited by the potential rift between Germany and Russia to go unnoticed.

I think this one is over or at least dormant, but the notion of British and French taking on the Germans and Russians in a land war is indicating that there is something wacky with the game balance.

Ron Swanson
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Alan Brooke

I'd say the Germans have played the Soviet proxy. There is no reason for the game to go exaclty as British and/or French expect it to.

The British were a bit too excited by the potential rift between Germany and Russia to go unnoticed.

I think this one is over or at least dormant, but the notion of British and French taking on the Germans and Russians in a land war is indicating that there is something wacky with the game balance.

I think the commentary by Cpdeyoung is just that. A lot of empty talk. The French/british/US alliance are shaking in their boots at what could be the outcome of this [:)]
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Hey, I have an idea, let's play this game and see!

We need to get this game back on track.

Before you question balance look at the passivity of the Axis. If Germany never went on the offensive WW2 might have gone this way too.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Jeffrey H."wacky with the game balance"

It may be necessary to make infantry unit types for the soviets a lot cheaper, possibly half the cost of other European countries. Soviet rifle divisions were thrown together very quickly, they were certainly of dubious quality, but they caused a drip effect on the Germans gradually wearing them down. This could be a war trip event.

This would include engineers to allow the Soviets to throw up fortified positions along large parts of the front quickly. A soviet Rifle Division was not of much value unless it was dug in, once dug in it could stop the best the Germans had to offer.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955

Jeffrey H."wacky with the game balance"

It may be necessary to make infantry unit types for the soviets a lot cheaper, possibly half the cost of other European countries. Soviet rifle divisions were thrown together very quickly, they were certainly of dubious quality, but they caused a drip effect on the Germans gradually wearing them down. This could be a war trip event.

This would include engineers to allow the Soviets to throw up fortified positions along large parts of the front quickly. A soviet Rifle Division was not of much value unless it was dug in, once dug in it could stop the best the Germans had to offer.

"Yes but", from an overall historical standpoint, the thought of GB going mano y mano with Germany and Russia in a land war is out of bounds.

From a game perspective, it's quite a challenge since the English have superior numbers, experience and quality all the while maintaining absolute control of the sea lanes.

The Soviet infantry in the game are simply too much cannon fodder, there is a lot of them and they are fairly well equipped but they die far too easily. It's not an offensive army for sure and it's nothing more than a speedbump army on the defensive. Ok it's fair to say it's historical but I think it goes too far in the game. It's a balance issue for me. They cannot cause a drip effect in their current state. I had even spent hundereds of PP's to get them to 100% readiness.

Ron Swanson
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

For another perspective on the Red Army look at Game 10 where the East Front battle is a slogging, slugging match.

Ernie's Soviets attacked me and it was a long struggle to stabilize the front. It goes back and forth, but in no sense was the Axis able to roll over the Reds. I would not have done well if the USSR was 20% stronger, in fact I suspect Ernie would have been in among my tank factories, and perhaps in Berlin.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

"Yes but", from an overall historical standpoint, the thought of GB going mano y mano with Germany and Russia in a land war is out of bounds.

From a game perspective, it's quite a challenge since the English have superior numbers, experience and quality all the while maintaining absolute control of the sea lanes.

The Soviet infantry in the game are simply too much cannon fodder, there is a lot of them and they are fairly well equipped but they die far too easily. It's not an offensive army for sure and it's nothing more than a speedbump army on the defensive. Ok it's fair to say it's historical but I think it goes too far in the game. It's a balance issue for me. They cannot cause a drip effect in their current state. I had even spent hundereds of PP's to get them to 100% readiness

I think in game 11 the French and British are still in the fight. So in a sand box game its not beyond the realms of imagination, That the British and French could have matched the Germans in terms of tactical battle doctrines (I realize this is a big stretch, but its not as if the allied equipment was inferior and in some cases it was superior) if you throw the Soviets in to the mix well this is a army that was unable to overcome the Finnish, some say its because the Finnish were more familiar with winter conditions. But to be serious the Soviets live in the same geographic location so we are back to the incompetence of the Soviet army in 1938, unable to conduct the simplest of offensive actions. True they are cannon fodder but if they were able to reach a high level of fortification very quickly. It would not be possible for the Germans to roll them over so easily, if the Germans stalled for any reason when they renewed the offensive they would find a wall of infantry with very high level of fortification.

From accounts of books that I have read on the Russian Front this was a Soviet infantry specialty to dig in quickly to any terrain that gave advantage. This was after Stalin had been cured of his nasty early war habit of throwing riflemen forward in human waves to check the Germans.

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Hey, I have an idea, let's play this game and see!

We need to get this game back on track.

Before you question balance look at the passivity of the Axis. If Germany never went on the offensive WW2 might have gone this way too.

Chuck

I think it's the German player who has backed out of this game.

Ron Swanson

Return to “After Action Reports”