Research Reloaded - [DWU][WIP][beta soon] New huge research tree, new everything

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

lurchi

Research Reloaded - [DWU][WIP][beta soon] New huge research tree, new everything

Post by lurchi »

This mod is in the process of being completely overhauled. The research tree is currently redone with a reorganized clearer structure. Vanilla research will be rebalanced where needed, there will be tons of new weapons, reactors, hyper drives and other components as well as more wonders and facilities. Follow the thread for more info.

The latest version of the Research Extended mod will be left up until the initial release of the new Research Reloaded mod. Expect it. [:D]

----------------------

Update:

Basically ready for beta release. There are 950 research projects and 293 components. The last free components and 50 projects are reserved for race specific tech for the still to be added races.

Expect a beta within days after the component #256 bug gets fixed.

----------------------

I have several cool improvements and extensions for Universe that either don't work or can't be added until the game gets a new patch, so plead to the developers together with me to consider implementing at least the first requests on my wish list. [&o][&o][&o]

3 would be great, 5 fantastic, even more would bowl me over. [:D]

Developer Support Wishlist

[&o][&o]Things I'd like to have in the order of importance.[&o][&o]

1) Allow more ressources to affect races in the race files. Right now there are 3, I need 7 to implement the 4 different kinds of drugs I've added to the game which have various effects. That also gives the pirates more contraband.

2) Allow more than 1000 research projects. I'd need 1200 to implement everything already planned.

3) Add a description field for components similar to facilities and plagues.
OR (even better)
Allow adding new content like component descriptions to the galactopedia. I have added description pages for several new weapon types, but they don't show up at all.

4) Include bonus/malus for weapons like targeting or striking against shields/armor in the components file instead of hardcoding them. It would be great if there were a new option for the weapon's impact on the crew so I could create a real death ray.

5) Allow setting a certain diplomatic penalty for the use of "evil" tech (now hardcoded only for planet bombardment/destruction).

6) Allow defining new facilities similar to wonders, if possible with more influence options.

7) Allow building more and various planetary weapons. As of now only one weapon per planet is possible.

8) Allow alternate weapons for fighters and bombers and apply their special properties.

9) Further raise the max number of components. I'm at 293 already and there still are a bunch of race techs to add. A few more would be nice, but I can also delete some obsolete vanilla ones.

10) Allow restricting research projects to certain governments similar to restricing them to races.

11) Allow more races. The more the better. A team of modders is thinking about a mega mod for DW Universe and 50 is way to low.

----------------------

Developer Support Wishlist - Done - Thank you, Eric & Elliot

* Raise the max number of components from 170 to at the very least 250. I already have 50 new components I can't add. The list is growing, I'm done with just the first research area.
DONE

* Add templates for planet destroyers.
Since only beam weapon research leads to planet destroyers I want to add other planet buster weapons as endtech for several other weapon research paths to even out the playground. The problem is I need ship templates for planet destroyers so the various races can utilize the different weapons. Even better would be to allow ship class and template creation.
DONE

* Make the bundled huge construction size from gaining planet destroyer weapons unusable for ships without such a planet buster in the design.
DONE

There's also the question how the game recognizes alternate planet destroying weapons. Destructive power only or is there need for a new parameter in the components file?
DONE

----------------------

Old initial mod version from here on.

This mod extends all tech trees of Distant Worlds Universe and gives you plenty of new tech and components to research. It includes my Lower Speed And Range mod, others may be added in the future. Colonisation is going to be completely redone based on the concept of Colonization Rebalanced v0.1.

----------------------

This mod is WIP, there will be lots of new tech and components added you can look forward to.

It is basically still a beta. It includes mainly rebalancing, but some stuff complimenting the Lower Speed And Range mod is already added, namely new hyper drives, fuel cells and storage systems. Those are already balanced and fit right in so you are free to test.

Expect an update soon, maybe later today, but probably tomorrow. [:)]

----------------------

This mod is not going to be abandoned anytime soon. Should I vanish from the forum for a prolonged time the community and/or Matrix is allowed to continue working on this mod, but if I return I probably want it back. [;)]

----------------------

You're welcome to integrate this mod into other mod packs, just credit me if you release your mod to the public.

New version is up, you can download it here:

http://wikisend.com/download/177042/Res ... edV0.3.zip
Blackstork

RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research

Post by Blackstork »

Hello , could you please give some showcase or explanaiton on changes , because i am not sure i will be able to notice all the changes myself upon instalation, and does it support Haree78 extended mod?
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Yes, I guess you won't notice all changes. At least I hope so, since that would mean I did a good job. [:D]

Generally speaking just about every vanilla tech is modified or scaled down in firepower, range, speed, energy output, capacity, you name it. Everything is/will be carefully balanced. There is going to be new tech in just about every research area, weapons, hyper drives, thrusters...

The research tree is going to be partially rearranged, especially the colonisation tech. There will be completely new tech as well as stuff based on vanilla tech. To think I started with the premise not to change too much. [:D]

During work on my Lower Speed And Range mod I noticed that every single change very fast leads to several more modifications, otherwise the game would be unbalanced. So from hyper drives I went on to reactors and fuel cells and... Well, you see the current state of things.

Right now this mod doesn't support Haree78's Extended universe, it's still quite early in it's development, but of course it is going to soon.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Will be watching closely, I will probably DL this for testing!!
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Here is the promised update. I did more rebalancing and added another bunch of new research projects. There is something in there that fans of the good old Master Of Orion 2 might recognize. I wonder if someone will find it. [:D]

Until I completed rebalancing the rest of the vanilla research I still consider this beta, but it's good to go so you're free to give it a test drive. The next update will probably take some days.

----------------------

You can download the mod here:

wikisend.com/download/407512/ResearchExtendedV0.2.zip

Just copy the link above into the address bar of your browser since I still can't directly post links for a few more days.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

lurchi.

You are the new Locarnus.

Do me proud.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Just don't give up because of a font size increase. [:D][:D]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I took a look at this this morning and i can't say i'm overly excited about the weapons tree. It's still set up the way vanilla was where you obviously want to take the Titan Beam path. I liked how Locarnus set things up with each weapon having it's own value based on preferred playstyle rather than having an 'extra' perk of getting a better weapon if you go down that tree. Phaser Lance being the exception, couldn't understand why he kept that in the game. Both that and the Titan beam ought be to removed entirely and used to create 2 brand new weapon trees. Such as the ever missing Plasma Cannon, and/or a pulsed phaser cannon.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Don't worry, the mod is still quite in early development. Some research tree rearranging will follow. [;)]

That said feedback is very welcome.

----------------------

I had some free time today due to certain circumstances and so finished rebalancing the vanilla tech earlier than expected. Well, save some exceptions I'm going to look at later.
While at it I added some more projects where I thought things are missing.

Well, so here is the next update. You can download the mod here:

http://wikisend.com/download/177042/Res ... edV0.3.zip
spinkick

Post by spinkick »

Thanks for doing this!
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

You're welcome. [:)]

The next update will be weapon tree rearrangement as well as more new and modified weapons.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

ORIGINAL: lurchi

You're welcome. [:)]

The next update will be weapon tree rearrangement as well as more new and modified weapons.

My honest opinion is that Titan beams and Phaser lances should be removed.

They homogenize the gameplay far too much, they're just blatantly superior.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile
My honest opinion is that Titan beams and Phaser lances should be removed.

They homogenize the gameplay far too much, they're just blatantly superior.

I understand this, but I'm a bit uneasy about removing them. Don't you think boosting the other weapons will do the trick as well?
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

ORIGINAL: lurchi
I understand this, but I'm a bit uneasy about removing them. Don't you think boosting the other weapons will do the trick as well?

Short of removing it, it'd be better to make Titans, for example, a versatile weapon with moderate range and damage. Then Shatterforce for close range and Phasors for long range. Make them sidegrades to each other, not upgrades :3.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile
Short of removing it, it'd be better to make Titans, for example, a versatile weapon with moderate range and damage. Then Shatterforce for close range and Phasors for long range. Make them sidegrades to each other, not upgrades :3.
I'll come up with something. [:D]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I just took a look at Locarnus' mod. It's similar to what I wanted to do, but a bit more radical.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that being radical is the way to go in this case. Instead of rearranging the research tree as I had planned I'll go to the extreme and completely redo it. Look forward to it, it's going to be cool. [8D]
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Of that I have no doubt :)
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

lurchi, I sent you a pm
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I'll answer this here since it's about this mod:
ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Lurchi - My focus was to be immediately compatible with extended and follow along the trend that Locarnus had set. Since your first version is meant to be for vanilla i thought I'd start up a separate project. Then it hit me that the whole community could work together as Icemania suggested.

Some ideas I'd like to put out other than balancing out the already existing weapons:

~The already mentioned Laser tree including the basic Laser Cannon.
~A Plasma Cannon.
~A Coilgun to provide options in the projectile weapon area rather than having no choice but to go for Railguns.
~Alternate versions of weapons...like for instance we take the phaser cannon and have two different kinds..a Pulsed version and a focused beam version. The Beam would probably do more damage at the cost of increased power usage, while the pulsed version would do less damage but cost less power. We could potentially do this for most of the energy/laser weapons in the game if there is space for them.
~Disruptors (The startrek side of the community would love this)

Boy, have I good news for you.

1.) I've decided to abandon vanilla, the mod is now based on Extended universe.
2) Laser weapons are already redone. Shatterforce gets a midgame upgrade to turbo lasers.
3) Plasma Cannon is already done, with a different kind as midgame upgrade.
4) Coilgun sounds interesting, I'll add it. BTW, I already have a mass driver.
5) Alternate weapon versions is what I do right now. They start with one kind than either get a midgame upgrade or split into two or three paths. I like the pulsed/beam idea and will use it where possible.
6) Disruptors are already done. Turbo Lasers, too. Photon and Quantum Torpedoes are also on my list since I wanted to add some flavor. [:)]

Oh yeah, I got rid of the Titan Beam.

I hope you like this. [:D]

If you have more suggestions, bring'em on.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Lurchi.

You're a good man. I just want to tell you that.

Return to “Design and Modding”