AWOL invasion!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

AWOL invasion!!

Post by pontiouspilot »

In PBEM DBB #29 my opponent landed at Pt M with what an Allied bombardment combat report said was 6000+ men. Their TF had been pounded by coastal artillery prior to landing. When it came time for my turn there was no sign of any invasion troops. The 2 TFs still off-shore. What the hell happened to the invasion? Did they re-embark? I have seen this happen on small island or atoll invasions gone bad. Is it a technical glitch?
jmalter

RE: AWOL invasion!!

Post by jmalter »

Might be, your CD guns caused bulk casualties and/or the invaders only had enough time to partially unload their troops & supply. So they might well have been wiped out 'to the last man' during the land combat phase, esp. if they had high disruption when they unloaded, or if a high %age of the devices that did unload were disabled.

Some of them might have re-embarked, I think this is a possible combat-result.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Yes, if the task force commander has low aggression, for example, or very high leadership (Tanaka) and high casualties, they may scrub the invasion before actually landing. I had this very same thing happen to me with a low aggression leader on my first-turn invasion of Tarakan in the Allied AI Ironman Nasty, where I just did not anticipate the number of coastal guns that Andy Mac added to the allied Coastal gun unit there. I had only 2 APs and the coastal guns sunk one, before the CLs and DDs could completely suppress them. The leader then scrubbed the invasion and began to return to Cam Ranh Bay. He probably saved the unit, actually, as well as the other AP, and I was very happy that I had chosen a low aggression commander for the invasion. To complete the story, I returned a week later with a regiment-sized unit and heavier naval support. So I learned on the first day not to invade anything remotely important with less than a regiment and a hardy amphibious task-force.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

If you watch the combat reports closely failed invasions reload and evacuate near the end of the day 12 hour phase and you will see a report flash telling you so.
Hans

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I have seen the combat report say that TF x is unloading at y, but no troops are unloaded that turn. It usually happens as one of the last things in the Combat Report. They unload the next turn though.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Next turn will tell. They definitely unloaded. There was then an Allied bombardment attack where unit ID and number of men became apparent…6000+
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

If they took too many losses/too much disruption/too stiff resistance they will re-embark. It's a bit of a disaster and I've had it happen to me when landing against a well defended atoll.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Here is the deal....they landed the next turn and were certainly still there for my turn. The spotting says 10k+ but it lies, here by about 50%. What must have happened the prior turn is they partially de-embarked and were slaughtered by the landing and bombardment attack. I am betting they may never be able to attack after the swacking from Aussie coastal unit. I have not seen an Allied coastal unit perform that well.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “The War Room”