what happened to my research?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

skenzie

what happened to my research?

Post by skenzie »

when i checked my research, i found that Actual Output of all three branches were like %25-30 of their capacity.

Code: Select all

Weapons 108/308
 Energy 173/660
 HighTech 89/340

on the left it says
 -10% from Corp.Nationalism
 +15% from Human race
 +10% leader bonus
 +10% scientist bonus at Weapon Lab
months have passed with no correction.

any idea?
Cauldyth

RE: what happened to my research?

Post by Cauldyth »

Research is a little confusing, but here's a very crude summary:

The total research potential your empire has is determined by your population. This is your research potential. In order to realize your research potential, you need to have sufficient research capacity by building labs. As long as you have enough labs to support your research potential, building more labs doesn't help. My guess is that you don't have the population to support all the labs you've built.
skenzie

Post by skenzie »

yet another surprise detail from DWU. first time as human, used to play (and got smashed up) always with Quameno and never observed this drop before.

it's a start game so i got only 3395M pop on the start planet. i pumped up research labs like 16 lab units on each 4 station making 64 total.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

I suggest you go to the stickied 'guide to guides' thread and read up on how research works :).
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

The short ansewr: look at the top-right of the research screen. Yours probably say something like this:
Empire research potential: 250

What that means is, if you have more research labs you are just wasting those extra lab. In this case: 308 + 660 + 340 = 1308 >> 250, so you're having about 5 times more research labs than you need, which is okay if you can afford to maintain it.

The fix is to make sure you have higher GDP (higher population + lower corruption) on your planets.

Hope that helps,
-Long.
ORIGINAL: skenzie

when i checked my research, i found that Actual Output of all three branches were like %25-30 of their capacity.

Code: Select all

Weapons 108/308
 Energy 173/660
 HighTech 89/340

on the left it says
 -10% from Corp.Nationalism
 +15% from Human race
 +10% leader bonus
 +10% scientist bonus at Weapon Lab
months have passed with no correction.

any idea?
skenzie