OT Warner's World

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Arjuna

OT Warner's World

Post by Arjuna »

Hi all,

I thought it best to move the discussion of my writing out of the on topic threads.

So to recap. Yes I have been writing a series of sci fi novels called Warner's World. I am nearly finished my fourth book. I started writing these back in 2011 when my wife insisted I take four weeks leave. I think it was the first time in almost twenty years of having such a continuous block of free time. Anyway I started writing for my amusement. Peter 'phoenix' was kind enough to give me some advice on my writing and I have used that to polish my work. Many thanks Peter. I am looking for an agent to get them published. If that doesn't work out I'll probably self publish at the end of the year.

Here is a brief introduction.

[font=calibri]The Series[/font]

[font=calibri]My series focuses on Commander Dave Warner of the Federation Fleet and his transformation from grief stricken commander, beset with problems, to a man of both physical and moral courage. Just as the civil war between the humans is transformed into a much bigger conflict with the Sleth and Rogan, so too Warner grows with wisdom and spiritual strength. He is by no means the perfect hero and falls short on occasions. He is not the supreme ruler dictating events but rather a man endeavouring to perform his duty to the best of his abilities within a much bigger picture. He is a spiritual man thrust into a dirty world, in search of right action and the love that will sustain him. [/font]

In some aspects Warner’s World is similar to Jack Cambell’s Lost Fleet series in that it explores what future space warfare would be like. But I like to think that my characters and plots are much more interesting. J[font=calibri] I have deliberately avoided writing a space opera like the Culture series or a “futurologist” expose as in Brin’s Existence. I have wanted to keep the focus on how the main characters deal with the challenges they are confronted with. As the series develops though, Dave Warner becomes more and more involved in actions which affect the geo political level. [/font]

[font=calibri]I explore different themes in each book drawing on the vices and virtues. I like to explore the contradictions and moral challenges faced by the characters. [/font]

[font=calibri]Synopsis[/font]

[font=calibri]The first book, The Awakening, focusses on loss, grief, duty and courage and starts with Dave Warner trying to come to grips with the loss of his wife and kids while dealing with a spy on board his frigate, the FFS Hermes. His first efforts to link up with a Federation agent, his best friend Art Simons, meet with disaster and his subordinates no longer trust him. New intel reveals manipulation by the Sleth and Dave has a role to play in bringing about a rapprochement between the warring humans in order to meet the common foe. During this he finds a new chance at love with Rihan Kabel.[/font]

[font=calibri]Book two, Redemption, focusses on moral dilemmas, righteous action, paying the price for one’s choice and forgiveness. It sees Dave disobeying a direct command to save one of his crew, Art Simon’s fiancé. In the rescue attempt, others lose their life and Dave is demoted and assigned to a backwater. In the process he discovers that the Sleth were only the pawn of the Rogan and must find it within himself to forgive his former enemy. Amidst the boredom of backwater patrolling he is thrust into violent action to defeat a Rogan cruiser bent on the capture of a Rogan resistance leader. In doing so he redeemed and thrust into commanding the FFS Resolute – the first of a new series of capital ships.[/font]

[font=calibri]Book three, Insurrection, focusses on the black arts of intrigue and deception. With the discovery that the Rogan are the real foe, Dave is tasked with sowing the seeds of insurrection within the mightier Rogan empire. But before he has a chance to do that, Rogan dirty tricks bring about rebellion closer to home on Beta Phi. The Resolute is diverted to buy time for a much larger relief force. Using the new technologies available to him he conducts a series of hit and run attacks on the enemy fleet while his droid and marine force help suppress the rebellion on the ground. [/font]

[font=calibri]Book four, Retribution, focusses on revenge and genocide. Rogan intrigue brings on a situation where Dave is forced to disobey a command to nuke enemy cities. Subsequently, his boss, Admiral Phil Yomoto, brings on a crisis in the Federation government. The Rogan desire to revenge their loss over Beta Phi and the discovery by the Federation of their espionage sets the stage for a headlong rush into the biggest fleet action of the war so far. The Rogan are defeated but at great cost, including nuclear attacks. The desire for revenge, however, is not confined to one side.[/font]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

RE: OT Warner's World

Post by Arjuna »

This is a copy of Miquel' post from the other forum.
ORIGINAL: Arjuna
Yep I have not gone overboard with the technological advances. My first book is set in the year 2512. I've tried to make it as realistic as I can, within my limited grasp of physics. Spacecraft have both impulse and warp drives. There are significant delays in comms and travel between systems and planets. I do have droids and drones but they mix with marine/army troops and manned fighters.

That's always the hardest, how to find a good balance between plausibility and creative freedom. I quite liked the approach to that problem of Jack McDevitt in "A Talent For War".
In some aspects Warner’s World is similar to Jack Cambell’s Lost Fleet series in that it explores what future space warfare would be like. But I like to think that my characters and plots are much more interesting. J[font=calibri] I have deliberately avoided writing a space opera like the Culture series or a “futurologist” expose as in Brin’s Existence. I have wanted to keep the focus on how the main characters deal with the challenges they are confronted with. As the series develops though, Dave Warner becomes more and more involved in actions which affect the geo political level. [/font]

Good references all of them, Dave. I am big fan of some of Banks' books - especially "The Player of Games" and "Look to Windward" - but the sprawling, rambling and chaotic jumble that was The Culture was too much for me. Brin's is also quite an excellent reference, but I think he's got worse as he's got older. His early "Uplift" books ("Startide Rising" and "Sundiver") and "The Postman" (what a great book, what a crime did Kevin Costner commit) will always occupy a warm place in my heart. If I can make a suggestion, I think that recent examples of Space Operas (like John Lumpkin's "Per Ardua Ad Astra" stuff or David Webber's "Honor Harrington" series) are best avoided. I found both series to be tedious in the extreme. I am more ambivalent about another recent The Expanse" series by two guys writing under the pseudonym of James A. Corey. I liked the most the latest book, the first two ones were a bit weak at times (where they do very well this post-modern literary device that George R.R. Martin has mastered by telling the same story from the perspective of several characters).

Godspeed with your books, Dave!

And Daz, if you're seeking recommendations to fill those balmy afternoons on the tranquil beaches of Southern England, here I repost a list of recommended books I made for a colleague:

Dan Simmons

Ilium - The Illiad & The Odyssey remade, sprinkled with a good dose of Through the Looking Glass.
Hyperion & The Fall of Hyperion - An incredible homage to Keats, Chaucer and other great pens of British letters.

Vernor Vinge

A Deepness In The Sky - I read this book every two years or so. I never get bored with it. It features amazing "children", and the ultimate Fascist regime.
A Fire Upon The Deep - A prequel which is actually a sequel to the one above. It also features amazing children, and the ultimate Artificial Intelligence.

David Brin

Sundiver - A detective story with talking chimps and arrogant aliens with God-like powers.
Startide Rising - What if dolphins could speak and crew an starship? And the aliens above go feral. It's not as cheesy as it sounds, I promise :)

George R R Martin

Death of Light - By The Master Himself. I won't say much about it, to avoid spoiling it. Extremely powerful and confronting tale (with a precursor of our beloved Lord Baelish too!).

Neal Stephenson

The Age of Diamond - Being a Computer Scientist, I can't help recommending it. It's an excellent Primer for Neo-Victorian Gentlemen (and Young Ladies) into Computer Science.
Anathema (hyper recommended) - Amazing book, at times hilarious, at times moving, at times infuriating that will familiarize you with the whackiest (?) ideas in current Cosmology and Physics.

Cordwainer Smith

Lords of the Instrumentality
The Rediscovery of Man - Both are hard to read, but perhaps the most imaginative and suggestive works of Sci-Fi ever written.

Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

The Mote in God's Eye - A Classic for the Ages.

Ann Leckie

Ancillary Justice - Reminds me a lot of Iain M. Smith "The Culture", but more focused.

Andy Weir

The Martian - A perfect Summer yarn, with lots of good Science too!

Kim Stanley Robinson

2312 - Perhaps one of the most cogent futurist extrapolation, exploring long-term trends on economics, science, technology and politics. It maybe gets too fancy with the writing at times, but I appreciated that.

Jeff VanderMeer

Annihilation - A most uncanny crossover of the themes explored by H. P. Lovecraft and Stanislav Lem in their books.

Orson Scott Card

Speaker for the Dead - Great characters, very powerful and emotional delivery. And great aliens too!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Here's a shot of the front cover of Book 1 The Awakening.

Attachments
TheAwakeningCover.jpg
TheAwakeningCover.jpg (303.51 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Thanks Dave, and Miguel for the book list.
Your very well read mate.

I did a lot of reading when in the forces, but am usually on my computer playing games in my down time nowadays.
When I go on holiday I usually manage to get a couple of books read, during the traveling, and while laying around between activities.

All of your recommendations look like books I would enjoy, and Dave's book also.
Keep us updated about the publishing mate, so we know when its available to buy.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Miquel,

I am still trying to read Dan Simmons Hyperion. I have tried too many times and given up each time. I find his work overly flowery with descriptions and end up crying "get on with it". but maybe that's just me.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I think that is just you, Dave, to a certain extent. Lol. It's certainly true that your own style cuts to where it needs to without much lingering to force the reader into your own view of a scene. That's the beauty of reading, that it allows that joint creative effort between writer and reader, so that every reader is given a certain amount of info, and then, as they read, has to fill in the rest themselves, and your own books really allow each reader to do that.

Suggest you post the book to anyone who asks for it (for free) in here, if they have an e reader. Kindles can read WORD docs no prob.

I really like the cover. I like things simple and stark.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Here's the cover from Book 2 Redemption.

Attachments
RedemptionCover.jpg
RedemptionCover.jpg (238.27 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Book 3 Insurrection

Attachments
InsurrectionCover.jpg
InsurrectionCover.jpg (144.23 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Book 4 Retribution

Attachments
RetributionCover.jpg
RetributionCover.jpg (157.22 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Alright. For those that would like to get my first book for free in pdf format email me at dave[at]panthergames[dot]com. Valid till the end of the month.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Great covers, Dave. Love them.

Nice action sequences in the book, guys - I'd recommend for light summer reading for those with an e reader and into things military. For me, to be honest, the sci-fi aspect isn't key in the story. It's more a military thriller, I think, with a nice future setting. Grab it!
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Miquel,

I am still trying to read Dan Simmons Hyperion. I have tried too many times and given up each time. I find his work overly flowery with descriptions and end up crying "get on with it". but maybe that's just me.

Ah, that's too bad, mate. Not all the tales in that one are so interesting, nonetheless. It's a book that doesn't really ask you to read all the stories in it in a linear way, very much Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. My favourites were the stories of Sol Weintraub, Colonel Kassad's, The Consul's and, over all of them, that of Martin Silenus. Lamia's tale was quite of a bore, and that of the Priest is amusing if you happened to go to Catholic Sunday School as I did when I was kid, so you get to what degree he's taking out the piss.

Return to “Command Ops Series”