A Couple Of Questions

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
tgb

A Couple Of Questions

Post by tgb »

I haven't played a CC game since I tried the first and found ti to be too much of a clickfest, but with the 70th anniversary I'm tempted to pick this up. Just a couple of questions before I do:

1)During a battle can you issue orders while paused?

2)My gaming time is very limited, and even 15 minutes at a stretch is not always possible. Can the game be saved mid-battle?
Cathartes

RE: A Couple Of Questions

Post by Cathartes »

Sorry, but it's a "no" on both counts.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Thank you. That makes it a non-starter for me, then.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

This game is far from a click fest, not sure I'm getting that comment...I've had turn based games that seem far more clicky. If you can't keep up with this I'm not sure what you can keep up with. If you can't find 15 minutes maybe give up gaming.lol.
TIK

Post by TIK »

I disagree this is a click-fest. I actually find I don't have to do much other than order my guys to Move Fast or Defend.

You can set time limits on your battles.
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

There is a speed setting which slows the whole game down allowing more time to click/react to things happening.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

There not a way to slow down the battle. You can assign time limits up to 30 minutes or more. Maybe this is what you're talking about.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
MikeGER

Post by MikeGER »

CGGrognard,
IIRC in PITF in the options-menue is a 'fast', 'medium' and 'slow' selection-box for game speed (Fast is considered realtime),
i dunno if this was remove for GtC so ?

(i dont have it yet .... i wait for the next Steam sale or at the Spiel2014-Slitherinebooth and more infos about how the AI has improved over PitF by the tweaks)
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Thanks MikeGer reminding me of those options. They're located under the General Tab and within Gateway To Caen as well.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I think I would enjoy this game engine, but like the original poster, my time is not always my own to control, and often I find it necessary to stop whatever game I'm playing to attend to something.

The ability to save the game in mid battle would be a great enhancement. I hope the developers at least consider this for the next set of games.

Thanks
Rick
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

What are the Red and Green truck Icons next to my BG Icons?
1 red truck
.5 green truck

Attachments
UO0021.jpg
UO0021.jpg (162.53 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

This is a first. I would be tempted to make some comment about lettuce trucks, but seriously have no idea how/why you're seeing that. Did you mod your files in any way?
Platoon_Michael

I have not modified anything.
I didn't see anything in the manual about them either.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Clearly they are telling you how you are into enemy territory and your supply provided by the trucks can be cut by the enemy. In the past, the strategic map was only for movements and it did not provide too graphic information but now, it has a lot these features.
The ability to save the game in mid battle would be a great enhancement. I hope the developers at least consider this for the next set of games.
I do not think that it be possible, at least with this very old 2D engine. People from Slitherine have told several times how the code is old and impenetrable. Fortunately for us, they are working in the Bloody First with a new and better engine where with the past of the time, they will be able to add a lot of new features without too many problems.

mooxe

Post by mooxe »

I think its possible. In the Marines version you could save replays, which is basically saving your game. In the replays you could also control your units.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

ORIGINAL: Platoon_Michael

I have not modified anything.
I didn't see anything in the manual about them either.

Does it keep happening or was it an isolated occurrence?

It's not a feature, so it's not in the manual. For some reason the game is calling up a relic image in the screengadg file. Steve would have more insight into this than me.
Platoon_Michael

I'll have to pay more attention.
This was the first time I saw so I can't say if it was there before.
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

From Steve: those are the standard ‘alert’ icons that indicate movement failure during the strategic resolution. The red/green truck is ‘traffic jam’.

From me: Ok, missed this detail,and I have never seen them despite the fact of playing so many ops/campaigns. Guess I did well managing traffic? [:D]
Platoon_Michael

When possible can u get a more detailed explanation if there is one?
Thanks
mickxe5

"Saving" a CC battle

Post by mickxe5 »

I use F3 (Pause) or F8 (Options) to pause CC for extended periods as long as my pc stays on. Windows sleep mode has never lived up to its promise of always being able to resume open apps.

One advantage to pausing with F8 is that the Options dialog can be moved nearly off-screen so the battle display can be studied or screen shot.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”