Anyone played KEKEVA?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Phoenix100

Anyone played KEKEVA?

Post by Phoenix100 »

Anyone played this scenario by Capnhillrat? I've been having a great time with it. It seems to work really well, and the map is really nice. The platoon level functions well for me. I certainly like it at this smaller level. I've messed around with it a bit - digging in the Axis, for example. But it's such a neat and playable little scenario that I wondered if others had found it so? Great work by Chris (Capnhillrat). If you haven't tried it I would recommend trying it (you get it at TheSharpEndGaming). It's easy to convert for 279 (just open in mapmaker , generate the mapcache and save, writing over the original). Highly recommended. I would have liked to get a discussion going about it. Anyone played? In fact, if anyone out there fancies it I would go H2H on it too. .
O.Schmidt

RE: Anyone played KEKEVA?

Post by O.Schmidt »

No! not work. I can not start this! OPS is done when i start KEKAVA!
Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Have you got ALL the files?

You need the scenario file, the map, and the estab (plus the xml).

Then you need to open the map in mapmaker, generate the cache, save it, overwriting the original. That way it will be converted to version 279.
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Thanks Phoenix for the kind words! I will convert Kekava and Crossing the Dnieper (another Platoon level scenario) tonight for .279 and post the files on my blog.

What do you think of the Observation posts and scout sections for the Germans?
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Charge of the Pioneers, Kekava Firefight and Crossing the Dnieper 1943 are all Platoon level scenarios. They have been upgraded for version .279.

You can get the updated files for Charge of the Pioneers and Crossing the Dnieper here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5nnd4lbuq8ojha/AABQanALs0Rkxq-XwejRTqBpa

You can get the updated file for Kekava Firefight here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0bwb1o3ukhg287s/AACVfP2mgkBbzMGEGbcflKTna
wodin

Post by wodin »

I don't know which east front est to use..as every east front scenario had one.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Anyone played this scenario by Capnhillrat? I've been having a great time with it. It seems to work really well, and the map is really nice. The platoon level functions well for me. I certainly like it at this smaller level.

Good to hear that. I am currently - and slowly - adding to the existing estabs break-downs of companies, so people making scenarios have the option to use either Coys or Platoons in their designs with minimal hassle. Needless to say, this is quite a bit of work, and I would appreciate any offer of help doing it.

And of course, all the Eastern Front estabs under development will be featuring forces at three different levels, Bn, Coy and Plt.

Cheers!
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Good question, Jason. Is there one estab to use for all 3 platoon level scenarios, Chris?

I can imagine it's loads of work, Miguel. Well done. It will all be very much appreciated when out, whenever that is. Wish I had ay time at all, or any capability to fiddle with such things. I have neither. Sorry. Mainly because of the two little kids. They're my excuse!

Thanks for the update work, Chris. I will grab again the other two platoon level scenarios. But what Wodin said - which estab do we use for them? Specifically, will the Kekava estab do for the other 2? If not - since the estabs have the same name, I guess we have to swap them out manually to play each scenario. Thanks.

As for OPs and scouts, I really like the 8 man scout teams, less sure about the OPs. I can understand why the OPs are fixed - so the 3 men don't just run at the first sign of trouble - but it does mean that they are left stuck out there. What was the rationale?

Peter
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I experimented, Capnhillrat. The estabs for Poineers seem to work fine with Kekava now - is that right? (didn't test, but I opened Kekava up and the scouts and OPs seemed to be in there from the estab files you supplied with the Pioneer scenario, so I guess those estabs work).

However, 'Poineers' crashed ('Crossing' was ok) and I had to open mapmaker, re-do the chache, re-save, then, to be safe, saved over the .cos file too. Then it worked.
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi Wodin. It is the same estab file for everything. I have been including the estab file each time I release a scenario just in case someone doesn't have it from a previous one.
ORIGINAL: wodin

I don't know which east front est to use..as every east front scenario had one.
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Good question, Jason. Is there one estab to use for all 3 platoon level scenarios, Chris?

I can imagine it's loads of work, Miguel. Well done. It will all be very much appreciated when out, whenever that is. Wish I had ay time at all, or any capability to fiddle with such things. I have neither. Sorry. Mainly because of the two little kids. They're my excuse!

Thanks for the update work, Chris. I will grab again the other two platoon level scenarios. But what Wodin said - which estab do we use for them? Specifically, will the Kekava estab do for the other 2? If not - since the estabs have the same name, I guess we have to swap them out manually to play each scenario. Thanks.

As for OPs and scouts, I really like the 8 man scout teams, less sure about the OPs. I can understand why the OPs are fixed - so the 3 men don't just run at the first sign of trouble - but it does mean that they are left stuck out there. What was the rationale?

Peter

Hi Peter. I fixed their location to simulate a listening post or an observation blind. That said I can experiment with their moving around. I was worried that the smaller unit would always bolt and run or disband if they came in contact.

Will update Pioneers and the Lazur map again so it doesnt crash. Thanks for letting me know!
wodin

Post by wodin »

OK excellent.
GBS

Post by GBS »

Can someone tell me to which game files I need to extract each of the downloaded files to? I need instructions. Thanks.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

The files with a .cos extension go in the scenarios folder in the main BFTB directory. The files with a .cop and cop.cache extension go in the Maps folder in the main BFTB directory. The files with a .coe and xml extension go in the estabs folder in the main directory.

For the Kekava scenario, for example, you put the 'Kekava Firefight.cos' file in the scenarios folder (or a subdirectory of your choice in there, for example 'My Scenarios'), you put the 'Kekava .cop' file and Kekava.cop.cache' file in the Maps directory, and you put the 'EFSTEstab.coe' file and the 'EFSTEstab XML document' in your estabs folder.

Hope that helps.

Peter
GBS

Post by GBS »

Great, Thanks.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
O.Schmidt

Post by O.Schmidt »

I have to save the mapfile with mapmaker! OK! BIG help! (I do not this bevor!)
Great thanks phoenix!
Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi guys. I've updated two more Platoons scenarios to .279. You can find both scenarios in this folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5nnd4lbuq8ojha/AABQanALs0Rkxq-XwejRTqBpa

Charge of the Pioneers focuses on a small slice of Operation Hubertus in Stalingrad (Nov 42) and Crossing the Dnieper (1943) which simulates a river crossing by a Soviet Rifle regiment.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Chris. Is this working as intended? The allied DEPOT is assaulting. Indeed, why shouldn't it? There are nearly 250 men in that unit!!!! Makes it a powerful force. Maybe give them less guns? Or some change so that the depot doesn't become one of the strongest pieces on the map?

Peter

Attachments
kekavaprob.gif
kekavaprob.gif (735.51 KiB) Viewed 170 times
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi Phoenix. I will make the supply depot static when it arrives as a reinforcement. I had not seen it do that before.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks, Chris. But should it have a complement of 250 men? I have no idea about the correct TOE for Russian forces - just asking.

I tried to lower it's compliment in estab editor, but then couldn't get it to compile - just hundreds of image errors so I guess I was doing something wrong.

In the end I cut its manpower to 10% in scenmaker, which gave it a compliment of 25 men, which was nearer to the Axis base numbers, but maybe the soviets only have 1 base (I didn't check) whereas the Axis have 3, and so the single soviet base needs a lot more men, perhaps (?),in which case making it static would be a good workaround to stop it joining in the attacks. Perhaps fortify it whilst you're on, just in case some bright spark sends a shock unit to sack it? I fortified the OPs as an experiment, but it just seems to make them practically invulnerable, so not such a good idea for the OPs as the attackers just get caught up trying helplessly to reduce those 3 men...

Peter

Return to “Command Ops Series”