Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

CapnDarwin

Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Well the title says it all basically. If OTS did a version of the game engine set in WW2 and modified for the setting (250m hexes, tweaks for combat of the era), would you buy the game? I figured it was worth asking while we wait for the update and we (OTS) are laying out our Southern Storm (2.1) road map.

What would a good WW2 version have to have for you to drop some coin? Please comment.

Thanks. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
montanaza

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it?

Post by montanaza »

Definitely Yes!!!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Can I buy now :D
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Yes... definitely.

@ 250 per hex it would feel like a suped-up WEGO PanzerBlitz.![:)]

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: jack54

Exactly my thought too! . . . and yes, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The thing I really like with this game is it plays like a boardgame built on top of an underlying simulation.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Honestly though, just redoing the game engine to support 250m hexes and the already access to data via excel opens up many possibilities right there. You could theoretically do about modern era stuff, 20th century onward. Heck, you could probably even do ACW stuff with it.
montanaza

Post by montanaza »

That being said, I know you had mentioned Mid-East in the past. That isn't nearly as riveting to me as the WW2 option you are proposing here.

FWIW...
governato

Post by governato »

I would definitely buy a WWII, East Front or North Africa version of Flashpoint.
Yes, there are many WWII games, but very few with a realistic and easy to grasp C&C as in this game.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Yes, definitely. Start working on it now, please! Drop the Southern Storm thing. I don't understand the argument that we don't need another WW2 game. This engine is brilliant, and would make an all new and exciting WW2 simulation game, never before seen on this planet.

I'm in! Onwards!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Those who vote no..thanks. I'd never vote no to any game idea whether if I wasn't interested cos I know others will be and I wouldn't want them to miss out. The fact we haven't got a WW2 game with this sort of mechanic either makes it a must for a WW2 version. Games are really about the mechanics and gameplay and then it's the era\theater.

I wouldn't have put the no vote option in. I'd have just done the others, you can still see the demand for i doing i that way.

Funny how all those who voted yes actually posted aswell..and are regular forum posters.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The basic idea is to shake the trees and see what people think.

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

ORIGINAL: jack54

Exactly my thought too! . . . and yes, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The thing I really like with this game is it plays like a boardgame built on top of an underlying simulation.

My thoughts as well.

I only got round to buying FC:RS a week or so ago, already having lots of fun with it and would buy a WW2 version if/when it is done.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

I said yes, but you'd have to do X. The "X" includes having a nice variety of tactical situations, ultimately covering multiple fronts and periods of the war; an overlay/map planning feature to help us both play the game and follow historical battles; and the incorporation of some of the graphical improvements to maps and counters that we've seen from the mod community.

WWII is not my first choice--more WWIII hypothetical and modern Middle East would be more my liking--but I like WWII well enough. I'm not an East Front junkie, really, but that theater offers enormous opportunity for scenarios and campaigns at this scale. But so does Italy and France/Belgium/Netherlands, as well as the Western Desert.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Yup I would buy any WWII versions of the engine. Cold War good... makes nice change... but WWII is the number one setting.

However... weirdly... given what others think... I would prefer 500m hexes. The operational side of the engine is the magic for me. Slowing the game down would be plus.

For tactics I do think CM outguns all comers.

This engine covers the very lowest level of operations fantastically. And is a superbly high quality product wish adds a lot.

All the best,
Kip.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

However... weirdly... given what others think... I would prefer 500m hexes.
What about concerns that hexes that large would negatively affect the game's maneuver aspect given the shorter ranges of early war equipment?
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Those who vote no..thanks. I'd never vote no to any game idea whether if I wasn't interested cos I know others will be and I wouldn't want them to miss out. The fact we haven't got a WW2 game with this sort of mechanic either makes it a must for a WW2 version. Games are really about the mechanics and gameplay and then it's the era\theater.

I wouldn't have put the no vote option in. I'd have just done the others, you can still see the demand for i doing i that way.

Funny how all those who voted yes actually posted aswell..and are regular forum posters.

In a world of unlimited resources, I would like this engine to be expanded to all possible ages/scenarios. In the world that we're actually dealing with, I think that this engine (as one of the very few that works with/was created for modern conflicts) should stay focused on modern conflicts and getting those of us, who are mainly interested in modern conflict and who are sorely underserved, more interesting scenarios.

So, in short - it's a no from me until a yes doesn't mean that modern scenarios/expansions are pushed out (also, from a statistical perspective, leaving out a "no" option doesn't really create a meaningful result)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Chuck, there is no plan to jump off our current modern agenda and dive into a WW2 title. So you are safe to vote your conscience. [:D]

Bipman

Post by Bipman »

I would like to see a modern day version of the current game say involving USA, Europe, China, Russia and maybe North Korea ?

SPG
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

...I think that this engine (as one of the very few that works with/was created for modern conflicts) should stay focused on modern conflicts and getting those of us, who are mainly interested in modern conflict and who are sorely underserved, more interesting scenarios.

I guess that leaves me with the question as to what you find uninteresting about the scenarios that we have now?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

I love FCRS basically because of its amazing engine. The replayability is high, however I guess sooner or later I´ll get tired of playing the same scenarios over and over again. Will we have a random map generator for the next game? This powerful AI in random maps would add loads of replayability. Make it real and I will buy everything you do. [&o]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

...I think that this engine (as one of the very few that works with/was created for modern conflicts) should stay focused on modern conflicts and getting those of us, who are mainly interested in modern conflict and who are sorely underserved, more interesting scenarios.

I guess that leaves me with the question as to what you find uninteresting about the scenarios that we have now?

Good Hunting.

MR

Nope, that leaves you with being happy that I want more (as in "additional") scenarios using this engine

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”