Ship ugprades, SY size 0 - Port size question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

Ship ugprades, SY size 0 - Port size question

Post by Lokasenna »

In one of my games, I noticed that BB North Carolina would not upgrade at a size 6 port (with no SY), despite the upgrade details for 9/42 having no minimum shipyard size. I figured that since a size 6 port is plenty big enough for the BB to dock, that it would be able to upgrade. Wrong - it wouldn't.

I've noticed other situations where small ships, like AVDs or DDs, will not upgrade at smaller ports even if the SY requirement for the upgrade is 0.

So I look in the manual:
ORIGINAL: Manual page 238

When this value is "0", upgrades/conversions can be made at Ports with a sufficient "ability" rating, as explained in the Port Section, below.

Trouble is, I can't find anywhere in the "port section" (such as it is) that explains port abilities as it relates to upgrades/conversions - only repairs. Is there somewhere that explains this relationship? The only thing I can find is at the very end where it mentions that (Damage * 10) + (Ship Tonnage / 500) is the "Port Assist Cost" for stood down ships (presumably would apply to upgrades), or (Damage * 20) + (Ship Tonnage / 500) for readiness mode. These values are taken from section 14.2.3.8.1 on page 248.

North Carolina is listed as 37,484 tons. So it would require 74 or 75 Port Assist for repairs. A level 6 port only provides 63 (per table on page 239). Can someone confirm that this is used for upgrades?
Alfred

RE: Ship ugprades, SY size 0 - Port size question

Post by Alfred »

See my post #14 from this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2824948&mpage=1&key=ship%2Cupgrade&#2826308

Exact algorithms are never disclosed by the devs but they have often expanded on the manual info when responding to queries raised on the forum.  Whenever one reaches a dead end in the manual, a search looking for devs posts on the subject will usually provide the answer (short of disclosing the exact algorithm) and failing to find their posts, a search on non devs such as LoBaron or myself will usually do the trick.

Alfred
Lokasenna

RE: Ship ugprades, SY size 0 - Port size question

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

See my post #14 from this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2824948&mpage=1&key=ship%2Cupgrade�

Exact algorithms are never disclosed by the devs but they have often expanded on the manual info when responding to queries raised on the forum.  Whenever one reaches a dead end in the manual, a search looking for devs posts on the subject will usually provide the answer (short of disclosing the exact algorithm) and failing to find their posts, a search on non devs such as LoBaron or myself will usually do the trick.

Alfred

Many thanks. That's exactly the information needed.

Note to people searching for posts: be sure to change to "all topics" from the menu, else you won't find these results that are from 366+ days ago...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”