The Ancient Guardians. Whoa

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gilmer

The Ancient Guardians. Whoa

Post by Gilmer »

I haven't had to go up against them yet, but when they showed up, my military power was about 1100. Theirs was 48,000.

That's a mighty big mountain to climb!
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Nanaki

RE: The Ancient Guardians. Whoa

Post by Nanaki »

Wait till you meet the Shakturi.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Keston

Post by Keston »

Speaking of Ancients mysteries,

How nice do we have to be with the Ancients? Trading rear goods, giving them fueling or mining rights, and listening to their tedious tales of bygone centuries? Can we just say no ro them or ignore their messages? Or would that make them as made as ignoring messages makes many people today?

What would get them mad enough to launch an attack? Would there be a warning or ultimatum? Does pilling up defensive forces act as any deterrent or reduction in the risk that they attack.

Oh, and I suppose peole may want to conquer their planet since it is awesome even later in the game?

Thank you

Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Your better off ignoring them with exception of listening to their warnings. Eventually an event will happen where the Shakturi reappear in disguise, and then some time later the Ancient Guardians will contact you to reform the Freedom Alliance, if you accept then you will sign an automatic defense alliance with all Humanoid races and themselves, and they will give you a fleet of their ships. But then the Shakturi reveal themselves and you have to fight and defeat them. If you win, the Ancient Guardians hand over their planet and all their ships to you.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

try not to post spoilers if its not neceessary... [:)]
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Is it possible to trade with them? Even when they really like me they always seem to refuse my offers of free trade.
Miravlix

Post by Miravlix »

Very early game, I find a abandoned space port in AG space and claim it.

AG offers me a million bucks, there galaxy map and every mining station of theirs inside my border.

AG's Galaxy Map ... 90% of the Galaxy explored ... Every special site listed ... and my guys had barely climbed down from the trees. Quit the game shortly after that, it was ruined.

BTW: You can trade just fine with AG, Free Trade Pacts just give you a x% bonus income on the trade.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

So I wonder why they always refuse me? Maybe I have to get them to like me more than the level that a normal race would accept a trade agreement (+10 to +20). I'll give that a try in my next game.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

AGs don't accept agreements. The only thing they will ever go for is a station trade and usually those are offered to you, rather than the other way around.

This may be explained in the Ancient Universe scenario idk, haven't played it. But it seems that the Ancient Guardians were directed/programmed to wait for the various races of the galaxy to 'mature' and slowly ween them off of the 'forgetting' as they develop by themselves. It's probably somewhat like Star Fleets prime directive where they don't interfere with the natural development of intelligent species. Thus they refuse to interact in most regards unless viewed as necessary to maintain their isolation such as mining stations being built in their territory.

It's a smart play really. Letting on to the fact that all of this had gone down and that they possessed the ships, knowledge and information about practically the entire galaxy probably wouldn't end well and would debalance the galaxy and plunge it into all out war over the guardians planet. Something they wanted to avoid, as it may[and does] become necessary for them to form an alliance against the Shakturi once again.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”