Multiplayer Experience Ruined by Old Bugs

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
Troger

Multiplayer Experience Ruined by Old Bugs

Post by Troger »

The airstrike crash bug, the truce crash bug, and every other bug that has been a signature of Close Combat multiplayer is STILL present in GTC. It ruins the online experience, and makes operations and GCs completely unplayable. It's happened with a variety of different opponents, so it's not a one-off thing. Do you plan to address this?
PztCrackwise

RE: Multiplayer Experience Ruined by Old Bugs

Post by PztCrackwise »

Dear people from Slytherine/Matrix,

We have told you countless times that the multiplayer is unplayable due to the truce crashes, airstrike crashes and other random freezes/crashes...

And you have told us countless times that you have tested it and there is no problem... Are you guys testing it MULTIPLAYER? Are you sure we are talking about the same game?

Please, either acknowledge that these bugs are somehow inherent to this game, and say "we are not able to fix them". Else, fix these issues, because currently the game has an awful high chance of crashing on multiplayer!! It is really painful to see after more than 10 years the same old bugs are present!
TaigaFox

Post by TaigaFox »

To matrix\slitherine.

I've owned that game for just over a month now and the number of times it crashed\freezed in multiplayer is quite worrying. As others have wrote it is just impossible to play an operation even more so a campaign.

And when it crashes you are not just disconnected from the game and back to the lobby, I had to go countless times to the task manager to shut the game off because it was not responding at all...

Like I said it happened quite too often in a roughly 1 month period. I've played some other games for YEARS without almost any problems, so if you could work on this very crippling problem from YOUR game it would be very appreciated by those who PAID for it.

You cant just ignore a problem of such magnitude.
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

I'm going to hazard to guess you all didn't read Ian's post:
RE: Hopefull fixes for next patch - 7/11/2014 10:04:03 AM

Hi guys,

We have greatly improved stability in multiplayer and cannot repeat the truce bugs or airstrike. It may not be perfect but should be significantly better. We've been testing this a lot of the last few weeks and are about to sign off a patch for release.

There are no plans to alter the UI in patches. Patches will focus on fixing bugs not adding new features.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com
PztCrackwise

Post by PztCrackwise »

@Guys from Matrix Games, I hope it helps you to detect the bug:

When air support is called in a multiplayer battle, always the guy who joined freezes/crashes first. The host does not crash nor freeze. (According to my observations so far)

@Cathartes:

I have seen Ian's reply. And I am pretty sure there are the truce and airstrike bugs present in multiplayer.Because other people have also mentioned them on the Steam forums. You have posted there that an update is coming and will adress these issues as well..
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

what frequency do you see these issues. We didn't get it at all in our testing here. The way you present it sounds like it is 100% repeatable but elsewhere I saw a comment suggesting 1 in 5 games causes an issue.

If you could keep a record of every game you play and if it finishes with an issue, what issue it was it would be very helpful. We have made general improvements in the patch that could solve these problems but as we cant repeat them we cant guarantee it. It sounds like we may be playing the game differently somehow and not finding the issue. If there is anything else that helps make up the pattern such as is it a single scenario, campaign game, or anything else common to the games that crash please let us know.

Thanks!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
PztCrackwise

Post by PztCrackwise »

I can confirm that air-strike crashes occurred both in single battles and operations. In all cases, me and my oppponent were residing in different countries.

Other than that, I think I gave that statistics of ca. 1 battle out of 5-7, in which the game usually freezes during a multiplayer battle due to some other unknown issue, other than the truce and air-strike problems. I think this other crash inducing thing is when tanks are just being hit and about to explode. (This was also mentioned on Steam by some players.)

I think something is wrong with the tank explosion (data or graphics) which can cause crashes in certain situations. IIRC, almost all the air-strike crashes happened when they were successful at destroying the tank(s) in the area it was called in.
dima

Post by dima »

Hopefully a new patch fixing MP issues will arrive before I finish my small HRM mod :)
Troger

Post by Troger »

Crackwise and I got to a point in an ongoing operation that it seemed like a crash was occurring every other battle. I had it happen quite frequently in my games with mana/conrad, which were all single battles. Frequency is hard to tell. 1 in 5 is possible, but it seems more like 3 in 5 at other times. It's definitely happening, with a variety of opponents, and regardless of battle/campaign/operation.

Like Crackwise said, the joiner of the session is typically the one booted, while the host is in game (but the clock is frozen).

I'd really like to see you guys get to the bottom of this. It's been a blight on CC since maybe CC3.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

ORIGINAL: Cathartes

I'm going to hazard to guess you all didn't read Ian's post:
RE: Hopefull fixes for next patch - 7/11/2014 10:04:03 AM

Hi guys,

We have greatly improved stability in multiplayer and cannot repeat the truce bugs or airstrike. It may not be perfect but should be significantly better. We've been testing this a lot of the last few weeks and are about to sign off a patch for release.

There are no plans to alter the UI in patches. Patches will focus on fixing bugs not adding new features.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

We read the post.

Stability over CC5 has improved but is not where it should for single player and or multiplayer.

The UI items mentioned in the other thread are NOT new features requests as in previous games the items worked as described so would be considered bugs by the majority of owners of previous games.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

yup...the airstrike crashes are still here alright and the truce crash bug.
Jonathan Pollard

Post by Jonathan Pollard »

I had the opportunity just now to use an airstrike for the first time in multiplayer as Germans and the game crashed as soon as the enemy tank was destroyed by it. I was the host.
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

yup...the airstrike crashes are still here alright and the truce crash bug.
yes, don't think the new patch has been released yet (still testing)
just now to use an airstrike for the first time in multiplayer as Germans and the game crashed as soon as the enemy tank was destroyed by it. I was the host.
thanks, please also let us know if you see this after multiplayer patch is released.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”