WWII Mod

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

DoubleDeuce

WWII Mod

Post by DoubleDeuce »

So . . . while we wait for the patch inquiring minds want to know, whose working on a WWII mod? You know you wanna ask. [;)]
CapnDarwin

RE: WWII Mod

Post by CapnDarwin »

I think folks are holding off on a WW2 mod until we have a switch in the game engine to drop the hex size down to 250 meters. You could try at 500m I suppose. Most fights would end up being in hex brawls.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm waiting for OTS WW2 game. Then might mod it for a different theater or Operation.

Infact OTS wargames (apart from Battlefronts CMX2 series and Graviteams games) are the only other wargame future releases I'm actually interested in.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

I think folks are holding off on a WW2 mod until we have a switch in the game engine to drop the hex size down to 250 meters. You could try at 500m I suppose. Most fights would end up being in hex brawls.
True, especially early war armor and infantry.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

OTS? What's that, Jason?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

That would be us. On Target Simulations. [:D]

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Hmm, for those wondering about the editor in this game, its extremely easy and fun to just play around with (make sure you back up your original .xls files). Some stuff is hard coded such as the game dates but most data is not. [;)]

T-26 Battalion, headed west.

Attachments
TB.jpg
TB.jpg (160.1 KiB) Viewed 152 times
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

Prefer cold war/modern day. It's a genre that i feel hasn't seen a lot of action.

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Yeah, I just wanted to see how easy it would be from start to finish to add a unit and weapons for that unit. Once I had the data it only took me a few minutes to create the image for the counter and enter the unit data.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Controversially... given what many here seem to wish for... my idea of the perfect setting/version of this engine is WWII but with 500m hexes ;).

The operational element in the game creates the magic. For me. If I had seen the spec for the game I would not have thought it would work. But it does superbly :). But slowing things down just a little.. and turning to WWII Eastern Front... would truly create a prefect wargame from nowhere...

BTW... one of the factors all here will have noticed but does deserve to be repeatedly highlighted is the “quality.. “ of the games production in every way...

Hope for many more releases...
All the best,
Kip.

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

The 500m hexes can be a big negative for WWII but I need to really look at some ranges to see how much. I would think early war stuff is even more limiting.

I think I'll make a full blown scenario while we wait for the patch and see how it goes.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Foot print of the forces would be a more important factor. It may be that 500 meters is okay if the units are company size and special units are at platoon. WW2 units generally played in close with each other. Another issue is command radius. Radios in some forces are not everywhere so C2/C3 is a bit slower too.

wodin

Post by wodin »

I want to see 100m to 200m in WW2 game at platoon scale. I reckon then it would be alot easier to mod a bigger scale hex than reduce the scale. So those still wanting 500m Coy scale game could still get it through modding.

Panzer Battles is 250m and 30min turns. The length of the turns and a few other engine quirks have made it difficult to get the right feel going concerning the combat.Still a good game though. I'd have done 250m 10 or 15 min turns. We walk an average of 1.4m a second so lets say 1m a sec at combat speed so in effect you'd cover the 250m of the hex in say 5 mins (rounding it off) so you could move Inf into the next hex every five mins of turn time if it was 250m hex, thats why I prefer say 100m hex so the inf will move into the next hex say every two mins and make AFV units single vehicle inf platoon though squad size heavy weapon units.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Once you get down to single vehicle and squad/teams, you really need to be tactical at 25 to 50m hexes and a faster time scale. Basically Steel Panthers style. We are trying to stay grand tactical with that platoon or company level size and timing.

governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

The 500m hexes can be a big negative for WWII but I need to really look at some ranges to see how much. I would think early war stuff is even more limiting.

I think I'll make a full blown scenario while we wait for the patch and see how it goes.
Foot print of the forces would be a more important factor. It may be that 500 meters is okay if the units are company size and special units are at platoon. WW2 units generally played in close with each other. Another issue is command radius. Radios in some forces are not everywhere so C2/C3 is a bit slower too.

I say go for it! And I agree, later war scenarios/ care with modeling command radius probably necessary. There is an online book that describes division sized engagements on the East Front that 'd be a great source for scenarios..let me find it.

governato

RE: WWII Mod: East Front

Post by governato »

wodin

Post by wodin »

Platoon scale with single vehicle would work at 100m to 150m hex. However 250m then platoon AFV units. Tigers Unleashed is 100m hex and platoon scale afv units and heavy weapons etc. This I find abit to restrictive and would prefer my tactical use of vehicles over 100m hex. Though it's easy in that game to create scenarios for upto 500m hex or more and turns as long as you want.

People with Panzer battles are finding the 250m hex and 30min turns is effecting long range tank combat..though it's mainly a engine issue in that game rather than a hex size issue.

Sorry rambling here.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

I grew up on PanzerBlitz / Panzer Leader so platoon scale for me feels best at 250m, at least for WWII. [:D]

RE: The command radius, can't that and some other national setting be adjusted in the spreadsheets?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, command radius and other national settings can definately be set in the National tabs. [:D]

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Yes, command radius and other national settings can definately be set in the National tabs. [:D]
Yeah, poking around it looks like this game is a lot more flexible than it appears at first glace. [8D]

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”