Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

mensrea

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Post by mensrea »

Damnit, this just isn't my day. It said in the plague.txt preface that it was a number between 0 and 10 and I just hoped 0.1 would work. I will post the fixed version around 6. Sorry guys.
Phocian

Post by Phocian »

Don't worry about it mate, its not a job.
Continue to have fun and work on the mod as and when is good for you, we are all grateful for your efforts.
Sindri

Post by Sindri »

Agreed, we are here to help not to moan and if it's not your day then relax and do something else ;)
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Oh it's cool, I was just having some fun being a little melodramatic is all. In truth I enjoy the process and the challenge it can occasionally pose.

And I feel like an idiot about the map now. I just realized I was giving you guys an old copy...the folder that saves go in was changed and I didn't realize it. Saves are now in C:\Users\"your computer name"\Documents\my games\Distant Worlds Universe\SavedGames instead of "C:\Users\"your computer name"\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds". In fact, I'm not really sure what use the appdata one is anymore, but whatever.

Anyway, here is v.4.3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... 0v.4.3.rar

I also packed in some new art by phocian.

SF-Inc

Post by SF-Inc »

Thanks much mensrea! [&o]
elvendeathknight

Post by elvendeathknight »

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but why don't you use a "maps" folder in your theme with the selected save game ?
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

For the scenario, I dont necessarily think it s the game version, but rather the name of the mod folder.

If you made the scenario with a mod folder called WH40v1, it wont work with a mod folder called WH40v2. So the key is making sure the mod folder is called the same, as far as I understand it at least.

scouseern

Post by scouseern »

Got it to work.

Edited the .dwg file in notepad, deleted then added theme name make sure it was identical to theme folder name.

Added maps folder to theme and put a copy of the savegame in there too.

Didn't look any different after editing but loaded fine after. Got the correct Galaxy layout correct and the research tech tree.

Hope this helps, no idea why it wasn't working before.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Mike - I didn't even think of that. I messed with the feature last night and it is preferable by far to having people load the game as a save. It also lets people play the scenario as multiple races (I set it up to work with the Imperials, Orks, Eldar and Quietude). Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will upload it later tonight.

Imperius - The mod folder has always been WH40k. Only the zip files and changelogs have the version listed on it.

Scouseern - What did you get to work, the old scenario or the one I posted last night? The one I posted last night is a lot better, and the one I'm posting tonight will be my best work to date as it will be the first complete scenario (though the incorporation of the heresy storyline is sometime away as it requires many scripted events that first need characters).

All - I'm trying to think of more technologies/components to add or anything else I can change with the tech tree. Please give me your ideas/opinions/suggestions on this subject. If I'm not adding anything else to the tech tree then I will continue optimizing the AI, hashing out races, and I will start working on some characters. Finally, I will be adding the spider people and removing the Hrud from the list of playable races. They are too beastlike to be considered a proper race to me. Players may still encounter them as independents though, which seems like an interesting concept to me.

EDIT: I have not been seeing the gametext I changed since the most recent update. At first I thought it was something I did but I triple checked and it is a bug of sorts.
scouseern

Post by scouseern »

I used the 4.3 version I think, anyway it works!!

Only snag I have at the moment is at the beginning, I've tried it 4-5 times and always get a leader change and subsequent rebellions on both Terra and Mars.

It might just be me but will keep plugging away.

Great work on this. RESPECT.
scouseern

Post by scouseern »

Yep still happening, about 2-3 minutes into game I get the change leader event, this plunges both Mars and Terra into rebellion.

You CANNOT resist the rebellion as the revolting forces are in the region of 1600k vs your 23k lol

If this is just happening to me please let me know. Also any possible fixes would be great.
SF-Inc

Post by SF-Inc »

Is this just me or when bombing enemy planets with the Imperials Virus Bomb the enemy ends up gaining population instead of losing it when using a large fleet?
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

scouseern - I have an idea about why that is consistently happening and I will address it with tomorrows release.

SF-inc - I had not experienced that issue. Is it only when using a large fleet? I may have broken something by making a bombard weapon that strong. This game has a lot of undocumented limits. I imagine this error is sort of like rolling an old fashioned odometer back until it starts over at the highest number, if that analogy makes any sense. I will mess with it for tomorrow.
scouseern

Post by scouseern »

No problem mensrea, problem isn't the leader being replaced, I get the event and I end up with 2 leaders somehow. only when I used the Great Crusade save game. Know your doing your best.

Anyone know how you can add more than one defined character at the beginning of a game?

Used a character folder to define the Emperor as the Imperial starting leader, tried adding Malcador the Sigillite as a colony governor underneath the emperor line but kept getting errors on starting a new game. Just think this might be worth exploring for more immersion.

Anyway, really thankfull for this mod, makes it worth playing even more.
scouseern

Post by scouseern »

Disregard the character thing, figured it out.

Gonna try to come up with some starting characters for the main factions consistent with the Great Crusade era. will let you know how I get on.
Phocian

Post by Phocian »

Hi Scouseern,

I have in my old mod the Emperor and the Primarchs added to spawn in order that they were discovered. I know Menrea is looking to add these at some point.
For a colony governor I just did a quick test.

'Colony Governors

0, Malcador, 3, Malcador.png, Human, 29, 11, 33, 8, 36, 9, 0, 0, 53, 56, 60

(This was a test and so the skills need to be set)

Make sure you have a character image i.e Malcador.png in your images/units/characters folder
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

Just a quick request... if at all possible, please add in a few more race starts to the great crusade map.. would be really cool to be able to play one of the other races. Also, hope you are able to add in a few of the other races (tyranids/necrons... :)).. perhaps have them come in after chaos does, similar to legends? :)
scouseern

Post by scouseern »

Sounds great Phocian.

Really like how this mod is progressing. Every Warhammer 40k fans dream to fight the great crusade and the Horus Heresy.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

So I have been working on the scenario all week and I am now trying to fix the rebellion at game start thing. Apparently, there is a huge bug as if you add a new leader after moving an empire they are only partially acknowledged...So as soon as you start the game your people go berserk and another leader comes to power. So then you have 2 leaders and cannot dismiss either of them to fix it. In addition, in the character screen I can still transfer characters to a colony that no longer exists and finally I cannot transfer leaders to new colonies that I add. I truly hate the scenario editor right now and I'm afraid I may have to start all over.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

The update is now ready. Thankfully, I figured out a way to make the scenario work, though for some reason every race has two leaders. I imagine this had something to do with me carrying the scenario over between two entirely different government systems. Whatever reason it seems to be okay now, so that's good. I didn't quite do as much as I wanted to though because as it turns out anytime I change the mod I pretty much have to rebuild the scenario. Given that I will no longer work on the scenario until I am completely finished with the mod (everything but the art, that is). So please consider this release to be the last in the series; after this I will be making major changes to the mod that will make everything that came before it incompatible.

I also made it so you can now play a custom game with the Shakturi storyline on and it effectively is a Horus Heresy scenario. I did notice that unless your gametext.txt file in your main folder is modded you still get the vanilla messages, which messes everything up. Due to this I added a gametext.txt in this update that will overwrite vanillas if you wish. Let the vanilla one get overwritten if you want custom mod text.

Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... %20v.5.zip

V.5 changelog
-revamped the Quietude and Lacrymole
-gave every race without unique techs an optimized research path for energy and hightech
-mostly fixed issue with rebellions in scenario
-improved the scenario in general
-added 4 new playable races to the scenario and made it a map
-added the Dark Eldar and Orkish Freebooters as pirates to the scenario (not that bad)
-added appropriate characters for Imperium in scenario
-finally, enabled the Shakturi storyline mode
-fixed bugs and spelling errors

Return to “Design and Modding”