Steve, please help us!!!!

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
SteveMcClaire

RE: Steve, please help us!!!!

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: STIENER
so steve.....if your taking into account a BIG TARGET in the data calculation, then why cant you tweak that part of it when the target is a HOUSE?
my point in this thread isnt so much the fact that tank vs tank are missing on the 1st and 2nd and 3rd shot BUT that a tank or a gun will consistantly miss a HOUSE at near point blank ranges and miss it more than once or twice in a row....going wide...going over.
make the house a huge target in the data so we can hit it.
surely this cant be that hard to do???

Targeting terrain is (and has always been) handled in a fairly generic way. And due to the way terrain coding is done in CC, there is no concept of a 'house' as a discreet structure in the old engine. It is just a collection of 'Wall', 'Door', and 'Window' elements placed next to each other.

Yes, it would be possible to make the calculations that determine where a 'miss' lands more complex and realistic -- making it so you don't get 'overs' when firing at a house, for example. But I don't think there are any plans to crack the code and do an update just for this. I will put it on the suggestion list, however.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

So here we have two responses to this thread and Nothing to my thread about Hopeful fixes to the next patch.

How does that make you feel?
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

we always listen to feedback and you can see from the responses in the thread we have not ignored you so any suggestion of that is very unfair to the team. We simply don't agree with you that the chance to hit logic is broken. This feedback has come from a handful of people out of the thousands who play the game. You might think it should be different but that a personal opinion we don't agree. We think it works well and realistically as it is. We are not going to make changes we don't agree with as that would be crazy.

However as we always want people to enjoy the game as much as possible we have suggested ways you can mod the data if you prefer to have things work differently but we are not going to make the requested changes as we feel they are detrimental to gameplay.

I hope you can understand and enjoy the game however you decide to play it!

The Matrix Team
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Nothing strange. I agree with Iain opinion. If they had been following all the personal tastes, the games would be crazy.

In fact I would like see to the people reading the suggestions from previous CC games because there are a lot of opinions like these. Some of them were followed and personally, it was a mistake, others were not followed but at the end, it is not the end of the world.

About if the CC developers ignore us, I do not agree, at most of the games, players are ignored at 100%, you do not receive a simple answer from the developers and the modders...well, they do not exist for them. Here, I have received a answer from the developers about most of my questions.
v.Manstein

Post by v.Manstein »

Trust me, Nomada_Firefox, we always listen.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

Ian
i dont agree that "This feedback has come from a handful of people out of the thousands who play the game".
look at who posts on these forums. its is only a handfull of people who post. the other thousands dont post, so you have no idea what they like or dislike.
the few of us that do post are on other forums and in the gaming community and interact with some of the thousands of other peopal that dont post.
i play 6 or 7 other people that DONT post and i cant get them to post. i have played CC with other people over the years that dont post and have gone on to other types of games because they didnt like some of the game breaking issues that we the posters have brought up, and you the game designers didnt fix.
some of these issues that were bringing up have been going on for for numerous games. that just boggles my mind.

nomada
you have the ability to mod these games so IMO your somewhat biased.[;)] some of us like myself dont have the ability or the time to do this. some of us feel that matrix should actually fix some of these issues....after all we do pay money for a game that should be trouble free.
PztCrackwise

Post by PztCrackwise »

Ian
i dont agree that "This feedback has come from a handful of people out of the thousands who play the game".
look at who posts on these forums. its is only a handfull of people who post. the other thousands dont post, so you have no idea what they like or dislike.
the few of us that do post are on other forums and in the gaming community and interact with some of the thousands of other peopal that dont post.
i play 6 or 7 other people that DONT post and i cant get them to post. i have played CC with other people over the years that dont post and have gone on to other types of games because they didnt like some of the game breaking issues that we the posters have brought up, and you the game designers didnt fix.
some of these issues that were bringing up have been going on for for numerous games. that just boggles my mind.

nomada
you have the ability to mod these games so IMO your somewhat biased.[;)] some of us like myself dont have the ability or the time to do this. some of us feel that matrix should actually fix some of these issues....after all we do pay money for a game that should be trouble free.

I couldn't agree with you more than that! Well said!..
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Hi guys

we always listen to feedback and you can see from the responses in the thread we have not ignored you so any suggestion of that is very unfair to the team. We simply don't agree with you that the chance to hit logic is broken. This feedback has come from a handful of people out of the thousands who play the game. You might think it should be different but that a personal opinion we don't agree. We think it works well and realistically as it is. We are not going to make changes we don't agree with as that would be crazy.

However as we always want people to enjoy the game as much as possible we have suggested ways you can mod the data if you prefer to have things work differently but we are not going to make the requested changes as we feel they are detrimental to gameplay.

I hope you can understand and enjoy the game however you decide to play it!

The Matrix Team

I know there are/were a LOT of complaints over at Steam as well.
dima

Post by dima »

Steve,
Thanks for your feedback. Weapon accuracy is fairly subjective when you experience it in game. I will pass along your feelings to Cathartes but I do not expect there will be significant changes in this area in the near future.
doubt it is data related as even with 100% accuracy and located at paved road guns still keep missing 7 times of 10 shots.
there wasn't such a problem in CC5 or TLD for sure.
will check the elements...
If some players want to create a mod where AT weapons are more accurate you can increase the accuracy of AP rounds for big guns in the weapons.txt file.

again, even when set as 511 = 100% accuracy guns keep missing 7 times of 10 shots at 100m at average .
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Guys we are not planning to change the accuracy. I think a lot of it is that people only notice when they are unlucky. They do not get a true picture of what actually happened. Probability means that sometimes a very high chance to hit will mean 7 out of 10 miss. It also means a low chance to hit will sometimes hit first shot.

Also remember you have to hit then penetrate. Some of the shots you count as a miss are deflected or minor damage that has no effect on the target.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

you have the ability to mod these games so IMO your somewhat biased. some of us like myself dont have the ability or the time to do this. some of us feel that matrix should actually fix some of these issues....after all we do pay money for a game that should be trouble free.
The problem here is how it is not a bug. It is not more than a matter of tastes and from the first moment that the game can be edited by the players, I do not see a problem.

About your suggestion. I would not like a CC game where weapons do not miss some shots, it would not be real for the WWII weapons. I find it very funny because even at my Star Wars Empire at War mods, I added a feature for avoid a 100% accuracy.
dima

Post by dima »

Hi Steve,

yes, that was a data after all :).

hi Iain,
Guys we are not planning to change the accuracy. I think a lot of it is that people only notice when they are unlucky. They do not get a true picture of what actually happened. Probability means that sometimes a very high chance to hit will mean 7 out of 10 miss. It also means a low chance to hit will sometimes hit first shot.

it works well and smooth with some data adjustments so definetly no need to tweak accuracy :).

The more I look into GTC the more I like it - thanks to all the team!
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

" I think a lot of it is that people only notice when they are unlucky" seriously??? i wonder if you actually put any time in playing the last 3 CC games you put out???
how can a vet tank or gun crew MISS a house at 100m or less.........come on.

if dima can make a data change that makes it better why cant matrix with the patch you know you have to put out sooner or later??
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

" I think a lot of it is that people only notice when they are unlucky" seriously??? i wonder if you actually put any time in playing the last 3 CC games you put out???
how can a vet tank or gun crew MISS a house at 100m or less.........come on.

if dima can make a data change that makes it better why cant matrix with the patch you know you have to put out sooner or later??
Because (as Iain stated) this is by design. The game is working as intended. You can disagree about the implementation of this mechanic, but it is working correctly and there is no intent to change it. If you wish to play the game using alternate data values the method of doing so has been detailed.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
dima

Post by dima »

So far so good :)

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/mo ... c&start=75

Stiener, Crackwise check you pm ;)
Saturnian

Post by Saturnian »

I know it sucks to get so much negative feedback[:(]. The team must get its feelings hurt by so many mean comments. you guys did a good job with this game but of course we will always notice the flaws because we like realism and keep our fingers crossed for an even better experience in the future...

that being said... though this is neither the time nor the place but next time if a gunner panics let the other team member take the gun. no sense in a guy sitting there panicking while the other guys are around him doing nothing. in real life they would take control of the gun.

all hail programmer gods of gaming universe [&o]

STIENER

Post by STIENER »

Because (as Iain stated) this is by design. The game is working as intended. You can disagree about the implementation of this mechanic, but it is working correctly and there is no intent to change it. If you wish to play the game using alternate data values the method of doing so has been detailed.

Hi Pip
all i can say is.... awesome [8|]......we the posters put a valid argument together about a blatant flaw in the game [ 3 games actually ] and yet again we get a lump of coal. merry xmas to all. thanks. [&:]
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

we like realism
There is absolutely nothing of realism at a gun with a accuracy of the 100%. In fact people, probably you have bad memory but in the past, with the CC4, people claimed how the weapons had too good accuracy.

The point here and probably it is difficult from accept if you do not know nothing about games, this is how you can not make a correct value for all situations. There will be situations where the gun has a correct accuracy and others where the gun will be worse.

In the same point, we can see how many times people playing which they lose their units, they start to think how the game is too difficult and it is wrong. Usually people tends to put personal feelings above the reality.;)

At other point, I do not understand because Dima is claiming too much about the accuracy when he is making a mod for improve the, he should try fix it by himself. It is not too difficult.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

nomada....you sound like you work for matrix. [;)]
i PAYED money for these games. i should NOT have to fix them or mod them. they should be finished and should work up to our expectations. we BUY the games. our concerns should be taken seriously or matrix will lose buisness. its that simple.
we bastardize realism in these games all the time. they NEED to be PLAYABLE too with the most amount of realism we can get, WITHOUT losing playability.

100% accurate guns isnt correct as you say and were not saying we want 100% accurate guns. we want a gun to be able to hit a house with its 1st rd when the gun crew can hit that house with a rock.......so to speak. at a 100m a vet gun crew could hit a HOUSE with there damn eyes closed. there lives depended on it. the stupid gun crews are already dead in real combat.

this wasnt an issue before LSA...now it is. matrix changed something and tell the modders THEY can change it back. so obviously matrix can change it too. they choose not to, and im sure it will now be the same in there newest game. too bad. frustrating........
but we have beat this to death to deaf ears again....so on to the next CC !
Saturnian

Post by Saturnian »

some of the gun crews couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. and then they just sit there and let themselves die when their gun is out.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”