Status of patch for Panzer Command Ostfront

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

rickier65

Status of patch for Panzer Command Ostfront

Post by rickier65 »

The development team for Panzer Command Ostfront is working on a patch for Panzer Command Ostfront. The primary focus for this patch will be to fix items in PCO that are not currently working as designed or intended. Below are a list of items the team has identified as needing work.

If any of you have additional items that are not working as intended, please post them in this thread. We can't promise to address all of them but we will look and try to address as many as possible. But again, our primary focus for this patch is to fix things that aren't working as intended. New features or enhancements will have to wait until a new game or expansion for PCO is done.

We don't have a timeline for this patch, but we have made progress on several of the items. As we firm up plans I will keep all of you informed.

1. Fix Random Battle Generator so that AT guns are not considered infantry for purposes of force allocation. FIXED

2. Fix bug in game engine where long narrow map objects get knocked down FIXED

3. Fix bug in game engine where an artillery unit that runs out of one type of ammo in the fire phase after fire is cancelled gets locked and is no longer available for use even though it has other ammo to use. FIXED

4. Fix bug in game engine where a tank hit clank sound is played when a shot hits ground when the shooting at a hull down AFV. Also tank should not button up for a ground deflection shot.FIXED

5. Fix bug in game engine where flag wave sound is stilled played even if flags are turned off. FIXED

6. Fix template file that could cause problem with Random Campaign generation in some cases. FIXED

7. Fix problem for the Map Maker interaction with Google Maps so that it works with updated with Google Maps. FIXED

8. Updated select AFV models. FINISHED

9. Change the way MapMaker does tree obstacles so that the tree terrain does not overwrite structure terrain resulting in LOS through building sometimes not being blocked . FIXED

10. Fix the message log notification so that details of enemy damage is not revealed to player. FINISHED

11. Display the correct target box for open shef artillery barrage. FINISHED

12. Fix the truncation of the scenario editor screen for screen resolutions < 1024 vertical
the screen should display correctly for screen resolutions as low as 768. FIXED

13. Fix bug in game engine that allows track hits and hits at locations lower than 6 even when target is hull down. Ensure these locations can not be hit when target is hull down. FIXED Also improved how hull down status was determined. AFVs and Armoured Unit Guns should now be able to get hull down status more realistically. Also added ability to gain hull down status from behind stone walls.

14. Fix bug in game engine that uses an incorrect sighting height for some buttoned vs unbuttoned tanks. FIXED

15. Fix bug in game where "Team" attribute is not being used in calculating LOS. FIXED

16. Fix LOS bug which applies some sighting factors during issuing orders phase that should not be applied until the order execution phase. LOS should to targets should not change while in the Issuing Orders phase except for unbuttoning or buttoning.FIXED

17. Change the code to allow the ability for Infantry and small arms units to be able to target unbuttoned or Open-Top AFV's so that the possibility for Tank Commander damage from small arms exists. FINISHED

18. Change the code so that the sighting penalty for buttoning up is NOT assessed if the sighting unit was firing at the target unit immediately before buttoning up. FINISHED

19. Change the code so that the -2 sighting penalty for firing a gun is not assessed if the target unit is the same as the unit being sightchecked. FINISHED

20. Change the code so that binoc view (or lock onto unit) can be applied to units that are buttoned. FINISHED

21. Change the code to set the height of the camera for binoc view to be based on the eye height of the commander if unit is unbuttoned or the height of the gun optics if unit is buttoned. Currently this height is set at a default height of .7m above commander seat. FIXED

22. Fix the Scenario Editor to take the ammo loadout for the PID from the unit data and not the gun data.FINISHED

23. Update the unit xmls for the Stug III and for the PzIVD and other units equipped with the 75mm/L24 short. FIXED

24. Fix the problem so that Map Maker can access and download DEMs that are not installed with base game.FIXED

25. Fix Map Maker link to Google Maps so that getMaxZoom used to integrate with Google Maps works.FIXED

26. Change code so that units that reach their destination when in Engage-->Move order have an opportunity to fire during that phase if enough time remains in the phase. Units with Advance order already have this opportunity. FINISHED

27. Tweak the TacAI so that when the AI is handling the defender in a scenario it has a stronger tendency to keep AFVs in tank pits. FINISHED

28. Tweak the TacAI to reduce the TacAI use of higher value ammo on longer range shots.FINISHED

29. Tweak the TacAI so that ROF is reduced more for longer range shots.FINISHED

PCO Dev Team
budd

RE: Status of patch for Panzer Command Ostfront

Post by budd »

Will that template thing fix the campaign generator for me? it would be nice to be able to use that feature.

How about making it so you can fast forward or rewind the playback to get it too where you want it, instead of watching the whole thing every time.

have it so you don't have to dismount building to move from buildings.

have it so the only rubberbands that show are the current select units or the choice of showing them all. What does the Y key do? [ i believe thats the key for the rubberbands].

A key for making the UI disappear for screenshots.

anyway to speed up battle loading, mine takes a few.

I'm not sure how consistent this is but a had a few instances of planes making a run and had sound effects but no bombs or damage effects.

I know this is a patch. I don't know how hard or easy these things would be to implement just thought i'd throw them out there.[:)]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: **budd**
How about making it so you can fast forward or rewind the playback to get it too where you want it, instead of watching the whole thing every time.
Click on the moving bar that jumps ahead.
have it so the only rubberbands that show are the current select units or the choice of showing them all. What does the Y key do? [ i believe thats the key for the rubberbands].
The U key toggles rubber bands - unit, group, all.
Alt key.
I'd like a directional dismount. But that might be gamey in that you could hop from building to building and cross vast distances in no time.
If the unit didn't actually dismount until the turn started to run it then would be possible to include the dismount action with the moving action. As it is orders that allow movement aren't allowed until dismounting.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Will that template thing fix the campaign generator for me? it would be nice to be able to use that feature.

I'm afraid not. Though I haven't forgotten your problem. I was hoping Stridor might have an idea of what to try. It might be related to a security setting that is stopping mshta from chaining scripts. Have you looked at your security settings in IE?

anyway to speed up battle loading, mine takes a few.

Mobius responded to several of your other items. but for this one, I don't think you will see any speedup in loading battles in this patch.
I'm not sure how consistent this is but a had a few instances of planes making a run and had sound effects but no bombs or damage effects.

I think I've noticed this occasionally as well. I've always put it down as a case where the intended target moved to terrain that could no longer be attacked by air units, but I will look.
I know this is a patch. I don't know how hard or easy these things would be to implement just thought i'd throw them out there.[:)]

No problem - thanks for taking the time to note the items!

Thanks
Rick

budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Mobius
Click on the moving bar that jumps ahead.
The U key toggles rubber bands - unit, group, all.
Alt key.
I'd like a directional dismount. But that might be gamey in that you could hop from building to building and cross vast distances in no time.
If the unit didn't actually dismount until the turn started to run it then would be possible to include the dismount action with the moving action. As it is orders that allow movement aren't allowed until dismounting.

HAhahahahahahahahah ....looks like you could of just told me to read the damn manual[:D]. I'll have to check but dont you have to hold the alt key down to clear the UI, not sure i could take a screen shot while doing that. I have to use an alternate program to take screenshots, the in game one was working but isn't now...no idea why that is.

Thanks for the replies ...back to Stalingrad....isn't that scenario of your design Mobius....your an evil man or maybe my plan just sucked.

rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

.... dont you have to hold the alt key down to clear the UI, not sure i could take a screen shot while doing that. I have to use an alternate program to take screenshots, the in game one was working but isn't now...no idea why that is.

Check your configuration from the main menu and make sure your bit depth is set to 32.

Thanks
Rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

The Manual? There's a Manual? [:D] For in game help hold the 'k' key down.
If in game F8 isn't working you can save one screen for your paint program by pressing 'Print Screen'.
panzer
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

One problem I just noticed is that the Tab - commander's view is only unbuttoned commander view. I thought at one time it was also gun-sight view when buttoned up. Or, even at one time was a sort of locked on birds-eye view.
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Mobius

One problem I just noticed is that the Tab - commander's view is only unbuttoned commander view. I thought at one time it was also gun-sight view when buttoned up. Or, even at one time was a sort of locked on birds-eye view.

I recall that it has been locked to unbuttoned commander view since quite early in the transition from PCK to PCO at least.

Thanks
Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I've edited the first post to reflect progress on the work items. We are currently working on the hull down items. I'll update this as we progress.

Thanks
Rick
SnakE227

Post by SnakE227 »

Hi! What about IS-3 model? IS-III.xml has link to GenericVehicle (Pz-III).
I know that IS-3 tanks were not used in combat. But it is very cool! And it must be present in so cool game!
Thanks!
#Save Donbass people from ukrainian army
budd

Post by budd »

The more i play the more i'm surprised that more wasn't done with this title. There aren't that many titles of this type......Combat mission and APOS...are there others of this type i'm missing? The game type seems under served. Yea the graphics could be improved, things could be added [destructible terrain& buildings ect. ect.] but it's not that far away from an excellent game to just let it languish[scratches head].

rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: SnakE227

Hi! What about IS-3 model? IS-III.xml has link to GenericVehicle (Pz-III).
I know that IS-3 tanks were not used in combat. But it is very cool! And it must be present in so cool game!
Thanks!

Mobius is the model maker guru for the team (and I think maybe the only active team member that knows how to make models at this point).

But I wouldn't count on it for the patch.

But after the patch -- who knows what equipment might appear.

thanks!
Rick
budd

Post by budd »

if/when a patch comes out will Mobius's[or anyone's] new or improved maps/models that aren't in the game be included with the patch? If you download a map is it available in the RBG?

rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

if/when a patch comes out will Mobius's[or anyone's] new or improved maps/models that aren't in the game be included with the patch? If you download a map is it available in the RBG?

I've tried to catch Mobius's new Models and maps as he's released them, and I'll ask him to double check what I have before we finalize the patch. So hopefully they will.

If I recall, in order for new maps to be included in the Random Battle Generator, the map has to also include a random battle template. AND to be included in Random Battle Campaigns, they have to be added to the list of 'tested' Random Battle Maps. I'd have to double check that. But I think the short answer is not necessarily. Both of these things can be done by the player, but they aren't trivial efforts.

Thanks
Rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I haven't added any templates of the new maps.
panzer
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Thanks for the update on the progress
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

For Mapmaker there is a limit of 32 unique terrain colors while there are 34 terrain types. Granted that there probably won't be a map with deep snow and at the same time have wheat or tall grass terrains. And mine field is never used because it is not a terrain type. It could be re-purposed.
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Updated status of items fixed in first post.

Thanks
Rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

#13 fix works really cool now as the hits that get ground deflected make a cloud of dust at the spot where it rises to protect the AFV or AT gun. It works the same for walls, unfortunately the model walls we have are either too tall and hide the entire tank or are too low and don't reach the top of the tracks.
panzer

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”